What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth tethering - iPad2/iPhone4

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings. I have just successfully paired my iPad2 and iPhone 4... after several tries - for the purpose of tethering to the internet using Verizon's paid tethering plan. Inspite of the bluetooth pairing, there is NO INTERNET CONNECTIVITY.

I can reach the internet just fine via WiFi, and also tethered using MiWi - both Wifi and Bluetooth. The MiWi method uses the path through the unlimited data pool, whereas the legit. Tethering uses data out of a special 2 gb pool, set aside strictly for tethering.

Verizon does intend for the users of the paid tethering plan to be able to tether via Bluetooth, but it just don't work for me. The reason I'm persuing this, is because the MiWi bluetooth "OnDemand" setup is far more reliable when reconnecting than WiFi is.

Any ideas? Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can tether my iPad to my iPhone 4 via bluetooth. Like you, it took several tries to get them to pair. I never did figure out exactly which combination finally worked.

To make it work, you need to make sure Bluetooth is on, on both the iPhone and iPad. Then turn on the Hotspot on the phone. On the iPad, go to the the Bluetooth settings under General in the Settings app and tap on the phone to start the connection. You'll see the chain link symbol at the top left to show you are tethered.

Double check your Wi-Fi settings on the iPad to make sure you are not connected that way, since you get the same symbol whether tethered Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

As for the MiWi, I have no idea if it is possible to connect to that using Bluetooth, but if it is I suspect the same method would work.

Most reactions

Latest posts