What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth stereo headphones for my iPad 2?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just trying to see what's out there and what are the Bluetooth stereo headphones out there now. I have a very old motorola S305 that is getting to be a little to big for my taste right now and probably my kids will love to have it :)

What are good options out there? pros and cons will be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like and have the Plantronics Back Beat 903+. I like them a lot and have used them traveling and facilitating conference calls.

You will see mixed reviews on them and they seem to possibly not function well when wet with sweat. I don't use the for working out so that's not an issue for me.

Sounds quality, ease of use and comfortableness are great IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
iFrog

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great this give me something else to look at. I appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Ser182

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the motorola S9 hd. I use them both for my iPhone and iPad. They works very well. I use them to travel and work out in.

OP
iFrog

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ser182 said:
I use the motorola S9 hd. I use them both for my iPhone and iPad. They works very well. I use them to travel and work out in.

Sweet, thanks! I been looking at the s10 hd from motorola as well. Main use will be work and to the gym.

stick2e - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

bertair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not think that you can go past the Plantronics Pulsar 590 A. I have had them for over 4 years now without any trouble. In fact I wore out the sealed battery pack and Plantronics replaced my set with a brand new set of phones. I use them driving as my handsfree set while listening to music as well. The ability to act not only as a top line stereo headset, but as a HFree for my cell phone is what made me chose them over the Bose NC phones. While the Bose are great, they do still need a cable to your ipod,phone or iPad. Neither do they incorporate a mic for the phone, SKYPE etc.
Flying long distance is not a problem as the Plantronics can revert to a cable due to Blue Tooth not being permitted on aircraft. I have used mine on many international flights as either my cabin entertainment unit headphone or my ipod, laptop or iPad without any problems. I possibly have steered several people to purchasing them after demonstrating mine.
For around $US200, they are a bargain IMHO

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's an interesting point. I travel on KLM a lot and they announce, when they're discussing what electronic equipment may or may not be used 'Equipment with an antenna may never be used'. So I guess that, since technically Bluetooth does use an antenna, it would not be allowed.

But the situation is certainly in flux because, of course, several airlines now offer on-board WiFi for in-flight Internet access. So it's clearly currently a carrier by carrier situation - some allow, some don't.

As the last poster pointed out, most airlines prohibit the use of any electronic equipment during taxi, take off and landing.

Tim
Scotland

bertair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The flashing light on the headset is a giveaway and cabin crew get mad if you try to defy their ruling. In the US, FAA rules would see you arrested and charged.
If you think about it, blue tooth is a transmitter of sorts and could interfere with navigation and aircraft electronics.
My Plantronics have a range of about 30 to 50 metres, so they do pump out a signal.
You would not want to go down with the headset on knowing you contributed to yours and hundreds of others deaths would you ?
Really why bother with blue tooth in the air anyway when you can use your cable supplied. ?

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You would not want to go down with the headset on knowing you contributed to yours and hundreds of others deaths would you ?
That is not a helpful or constructive comment to make. Nobody was suggesting flouting any safety rules, and a rhetorical question of that type is unnecessary and rather rude.

The question was whether there is a universal prohibition on using Bluetooth devices at any time in the air, or if it is just confined to certain aircraft or airlines, or just for takeoff and landing like other electronic equipment. People will obviously go along with the rules if they are clear and reasonable.

It is actually quite unlikely that Bluetooth would cause any problem on a plane, as the signal is a very weak one compared to other devices. As Tim has noted in his post, airlines are in the process of fitting out aircraft for WiFi, which will allow passengers to use cell-phones and computers and access the internet. The signals and transmissions from these are many times more powerful.

Really why bother with blue tooth in the air anyway when you can use your cable supplied. ?
1. This thread is about Bluetooth headsets. People buy them specifically so they don't have to use a cable any more. Otherwise, they would just settle for a regular headset.

2. Flying is one of the times when a Bluetooth headset would actually be most useful, as it's when a cable is very often a nuisance.

3. Other equipment uses Bluetooth, so it will affect other uses too. Keyboards for iPads such as the Apple and Zaggmate ones would be affected. So would some hearing aids...

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth on aircraft

British Airways Policy re. Bluetooth (updated Jan 2011):

Question:
Can I use my personal CD player, Gameboy or Bluetooth enabled device on-board?
I have a laptop which uses Blackberry or bluetooth technology, can I use this on-board your aircraft?

Answer:
At present, there are no restrictions on carrying hand held electronic games and personal radio or CD players etc. on-board British Airways flights, although we do recommend that all passengers keep hand baggage to a minimum.

Portable telephones and other electronic equipment such as games and computers may interfere with the aircraft systems and must be switched off during take-off, approach and landing.

Portable telephones or any other device that transmits data must remain switched-off whilst the aircraft is in flight.
However, there are some exceptions:

Devices adhering to the Bluetooth standard, except telephones, may be used during flight but must be switched off during take-off, approach and landing. e.g. wireless headsets that use a blue tooth connection to a PC.

Devices which have a specific "flight mode" or "flight safe" setting, e.g. some Smartphones and newer Blackberry devices, may be used in flight provided the flight safe mode is selected. These devices must be completely switched off during take-off, approach and landing.

Some older Blackberry devices cannot be used on-board our aircraft due to safety reasons. Essentially this is due to the fact that these devices 'hunt' for a GSM signal to upload/download data.
If your Blackberry does not have a flight safe mode, also called 'wireless off' mode, then it must be switched off for the duration of the flight.

The use of Wireless LAN (WLAN) is currently not permitted on BA aircraft.
Laptops with built-in WLAN (e.g. Centrino) may be used during flight, provided the WLAN is turned off.
All laptops must be switched off during take-off, approach and landing.

Electronic games, iPods, iPaqs, small radios, tape and disc players, miniature television receivers, GPS receivers and similar entertainment equipment have negligible effect on aircraft systems and may be used during flight, but must be switched off during take-off, approach and landing.

Hearing aids, heart pace-makers and similar devices may be used without restriction.

If you are in doubt about the use of any other electronic device whilst on-board, please keep the device switched-off for the duration of the flight as it may interfere with the aircraft systems.

For information on power supply onboard please click here.

Please note: The 'at seat' power supply is not available in our World Traveller / Economy cabins on British Airways.

fairythere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has always bothered me that they say something as simple as a tape player or portable cd player can interfere with the equipment of the aircraft. If something as simple as an old Sony Walkman (strictly plays cassette tapes) like I used to travel with in the 80's can cause problems with the systems then I don't think the systems are very well thought out. Now, if they would just say it's extremely important that we have your attention in case something happens during take off and landing so you can not use your equipment, I would respect that. But telling me something serious can go wrong with their equipment because I play a cassette, then something is wrong with the quality of their equipment. I certainly return equipment that I purchase that does not function properly because I turned on the cassette player! LOL i.e., if I bought a new washing machine that turned out to turn off in mid cycle because I turned on the stereo I would return it for not working properly! What if my stereo broke my washing machine and it exploded because the stereo was too loud?

Most reactions

Latest posts