1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Bluetooth stereo headphones for my iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by iFrog, Mar 14, 2011.

1. iFrog

iFrog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Hi all,

Just trying to see what's out there and what are the Bluetooth stereo headphones out there now. I have a very old motorola S305 that is getting to be a little to big for my taste right now and probably my kids will love to have it :)

What are good options out there? pros and cons will be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF
  2. iPadOhana

iPadOhana iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I like and have the Plantronics Back Beat 903+. I like them a lot and have used them traveling and facilitating conference calls.

You will see mixed reviews on them and they seem to possibly not function well when wet with sweat. I don't use the for working out so that's not an issue for me.

Sounds quality, ease of use and comfortableness are great IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. iFrog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Great this give me something else to look at. I appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF
  4. Ser182

Ser182 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use the motorola S9 hd. I use them both for my iPhone and iPad. They works very well. I use them to travel and work out in.
  5. iFrog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Sweet, thanks! I been looking at the s10 hd from motorola as well. Main use will be work and to the gym.

stick2e - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF
  6. Ser182

Ser182 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are those jaybirds on size fit all?
  7. silversurfer20

silversurfer20 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes they are one size fits all.
  8. rollerd

rollerd iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]I use the MOTOROKRâ„¢ S305 Wireless Stereo Headphones. FRYS.com*|*Motorola has them for $49.95. I bought a spare set on sale for $35.
    [/FONT]
  9. bertair

bertair iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not think that you can go past the Plantronics Pulsar 590 A. I have had them for over 4 years now without any trouble. In fact I wore out the sealed battery pack and Plantronics replaced my set with a brand new set of phones. I use them driving as my handsfree set while listening to music as well. The ability to act not only as a top line stereo headset, but as a HFree for my cell phone is what made me chose them over the Bose NC phones. While the Bose are great, they do still need a cable to your ipod,phone or iPad. Neither do they incorporate a mic for the phone, SKYPE etc.
    Flying long distance is not a problem as the Plantronics can revert to a cable due to Blue Tooth not being permitted on aircraft. I have used mine on many international flights as either my cabin entertainment unit headphone or my ipod, laptop or iPad without any problems. I possibly have steered several people to purchasing them after demonstrating mine.
    For around $US200, they are a bargain IMHO
  10. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    :confused: Is that true? Not permitted at any time, or just during takeoff/landing? All aircraft, all airlines, or just some?
  11. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    That's an interesting point. I travel on KLM a lot and they announce, when they're discussing what electronic equipment may or may not be used 'Equipment with an antenna may never be used'. So I guess that, since technically Bluetooth does use an antenna, it would not be allowed.

But the situation is certainly in flux because, of course, several airlines now offer on-board WiFi for in-flight Internet access. So it's clearly currently a carrier by carrier situation - some allow, some don't.

As the last poster pointed out, most airlines prohibit the use of any electronic equipment during taxi, take off and landing.

Tim
    Scotland
  12. bertair

bertair iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The flashing light on the headset is a giveaway and cabin crew get mad if you try to defy their ruling. In the US, FAA rules would see you arrested and charged.
    If you think about it, blue tooth is a transmitter of sorts and could interfere with navigation and aircraft electronics.
    My Plantronics have a range of about 30 to 50 metres, so they do pump out a signal.
    You would not want to go down with the headset on knowing you contributed to yours and hundreds of others deaths would you ?
    Really why bother with blue tooth in the air anyway when you can use your cable supplied. ?
  13. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    That is not a helpful or constructive comment to make. Nobody was suggesting flouting any safety rules, and a rhetorical question of that type is unnecessary and rather rude.

The question was whether there is a universal prohibition on using Bluetooth devices at any time in the air, or if it is just confined to certain aircraft or airlines, or just for takeoff and landing like other electronic equipment. People will obviously go along with the rules if they are clear and reasonable.

It is actually quite unlikely that Bluetooth would cause any problem on a plane, as the signal is a very weak one compared to other devices. As Tim has noted in his post, airlines are in the process of fitting out aircraft for WiFi, which will allow passengers to use cell-phones and computers and access the internet. The signals and transmissions from these are many times more powerful.

1. This thread is about Bluetooth headsets. People buy them specifically so they don't have to use a cable any more. Otherwise, they would just settle for a regular headset.

2. Flying is one of the times when a Bluetooth headset would actually be most useful, as it's when a cable is very often a nuisance.

3. Other equipment uses Bluetooth, so it will affect other uses too. Keyboards for iPads such as the Apple and Zaggmate ones would be affected. So would some hearing aids...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Bluetooth on aircraft

British Airways Policy re. Bluetooth (updated Jan 2011):

Question:
    Answer:
  15. fairythere

fairythere iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It has always bothered me that they say something as simple as a tape player or portable cd player can interfere with the equipment of the aircraft. If something as simple as an old Sony Walkman (strictly plays cassette tapes) like I used to travel with in the 80's can cause problems with the systems then I don't think the systems are very well thought out. Now, if they would just say it's extremely important that we have your attention in case something happens during take off and landing so you can not use your equipment, I would respect that. But telling me something serious can go wrong with their equipment because I play a cassette, then something is wrong with the quality of their equipment. I certainly return equipment that I purchase that does not function properly because I turned on the cassette player! LOL i.e., if I bought a new washing machine that turned out to turn off in mid cycle because I turned on the stereo I would return it for not working properly! What if my stereo broke my washing machine and it exploded because the stereo was too loud?
  16. Ser182

Ser182 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking up on TSA website there is no mention of blue toothed equipment be banned or prohibited. I use them all the time with no problems.
  17. MsTapp

MsTapp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is great information; when I started reading I thought I would need to get wired buds for flying. It looks like that won't be necessary. Thank you.
  18. bertair

bertair iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is good news, I shall draw this to the attention of my cabin crew next time they try to tell me to turn my head set off in flight, AFTER THE SEAT BELT WARNING SIGN GOES OFF, of course.
    Sometimes I think that some cabin crew exert their authority for the sake of it and annoy their passengers because they can.
    Sure, I listen and watch the pre flight performance every time, but after that I want to be left alone except for drinks and meals thank you very much.
    The only way to get through sometimes a 12 hour leg is to switch off and go into your own space.
    BTW Plantronics are great, but if only they were noise cancelling, they would be the BEST.
  19. southpaw

southpaw iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In-flight is not a TSA thing. It is an FAA thing.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  20. Ser182

Ser182 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have looked on the FAA website it makes no mention to Bluetooth head phones. I use their search function with no luck. If you google it stories do come up but none with FAA website. So not sure what to believe. I use them all the time and never been told to power them down. I fly continental.