What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth question

2dapi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Just got an iPad 2 and it's totally new to me. I also got a Bluetooth keyboard to go with it. Should i leave the
Bluetooth turned on all the time on the iPad or will it drain the battery? I have been turning it off but it's a pain to have to go into settings all the time to turn it off and on so is there a widget (yes, I come from android) or icon or something I can put on my home screen to simplify turning off and on? Thanks.

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeh, I've heard a lot of people wishing for this functionality. Is your iPad jailbroken? If so maybe something like sbsettings would make life easier :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess is that his/her iPad isn't jailbroken given that it's "new." To answer the question, No. Widgets are evil in the Apple world. A very few are allowed (e.g. calendar) but most are prohibited. This approach avoids situations (common in Android where I, too, come from) where numerous widgets can lead to lags on devices without enough processor power and RAM to support them along with the apps you want to run. Since Apple wants to use a relatively limited power chip and relatively little memory (512K on the iPad 2), they have to constrain the multi-tasking capabilities of the iPad to prevent unpredictable lags and slow downs. (Those are VERY BIG NO NO's in the Apple world.)

As far as bluetooth is concerned, yes, it will drain your battery. Significantly. If you're using a bluetooth keyboard turn it off when you're not using it to save its battery (though most bluetooth keyboards go to sleep on their own when not in use) and turn off the bluetooth connection on the iPad to save its battery.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi. Just got an iPad 2 and it's totally new to me. I also got a Bluetooth keyboard to go with it. Should i leave the
Bluetooth turned on all the time on the iPad or will it drain the battery? I have been turning it off but it's a pain to have to go into settings all the time to turn it off and on so is there a widget (yes, I come from android) or icon or something I can put on my home screen to simplify turning off and on? Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :thumbs:

You're over blowing this situation - first, the power consumption on your iPad for Bluetooth (BT) is low, so if you are recharging on a regular basis, really does not make much sense to worry about it.

Second, the Apple BT keyboard (KB) has an intelligent power regulation program, i.e. the KB turns itself off after a period of non-use and then reactivates when needed - check HERE for further information.

Now the issue may be 'how often' you use your BT KB? If used infrequently I would likely 'turn off' the iPad selection and also possibly remove the batteries from the KB; but if used frequently, I see no problem in leaving BT on in the iPad and letting the KB regulate itself (suggestion - carry a couple of extra batteries w/ you - I've had to replace them once on my KB) - good luck and please post back if these comments do not answer your question(s) - :)

OP

2dapi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replies. It is not jailbroken. It is new and i have never done anything like that and dont trust myself quite yet. Actually the keyboard itself does not take batteries. Its USB charged. I was just wondering if there was an easier and quicker way to turn bluetooth on and off on the ipad. The keyboard has an on/off switch that is convient. Like I said, I come from Android have gotten used to
the "widgets" and didnt know if I was missing something. I have gotten my answer though so thanks everyone :thumbs: :) Thank
you.

Most reactions

Latest posts