What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth question

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why doesn't a Magic Mouse work on an iPad? The keyboard does! Or does anybody know how?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Because iOS doesn't support a pointing device. It's a touch UI. There is no cursor, so there is no point in supporting a device that's used to move a cursor around.

It does support text input, so supporting keyboard does make sense.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As always you are absolutely right but it supports my grubby finger! I was just trying to think - what would take the iPad to the next level and for me its a mouse and IOS 9 sounds good and I think just around the corner! Albeit I'll wait this time!!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If there is mouse (or trackpad) support in iOS 9, I will be extremely surprised. It's clear that Apple considers the iPad a touch device, and they have no plans (as far as anyone can tell) to turn the iPad into psuedo-laptop device.

Hold in mind that while they support bluetooth keyboards, they've never even hinted at designing their own keyboard for the iPad. That's how marginal they consider that use case, and how little they want to encourage the idea of an iPad being a cheap laptop replacement.

If a trackpad and keyboard are important to how you want to work, then you're probably never going to be happy with anything less than a good laptop.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd agree w/ TP on the points made above - the iPad is meant to be a portable device, so having to place it on a surface w/ a BT KB & mouse would not serve Apple's purposes w/ their other laptop offerings, including the new and amazingly small MacBook shown below - if I wanted to carry a laptop on the road again, then I'd strongly consider that machine (despite the solitary USB-C port).

On the road, wife & I carry our iPads and also bring along a BT Apple KB which I use to answer mail and forum posts - rarely use the KB at home unless entering data to the iPad (such as in a recipe app); plus, I dislike using the KB w/ the iPad, i.e. often an annoying 'type & touch' experience for me (maybe not for others - don't know?).

So, use the iPad for the purposes intended and not as a potential dedicated laptop, although who knows what may be emerging from the cloud in Apple's future, especially since the promotion of Sir Jonathan Ive - will be fun to see? Dave :)
macbook-air-gold-2015-16.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only keyboard dock Apple ever offered for the iPad was for the iPad 1.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree too. But I guess we all use our iPads differently and where mine is used most of the time is on the move, laptop just isn't practical and would not fit in the very expensive bracket which just happens to have a fitted shelf a mouse would be right at home on.

Half the time the platform it sits in can be a bit bumpy, high vibration and my lumpy finger occasionally misses the spot.

I guess I can wish!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree too. But I guess we all use our iPads differently and where mine is used most of the time is on the move, laptop just isn't practical and would not fit in the very expensive bracket which just happens to have a fitted shelf a mouse would be right at home on.

Half the time the platform it sits in can be a bit bumpy, high vibration and my lumpy finger occasionally misses the spot.

I guess I can wish!

That's interesting; though I've got to wonder if using a trackpad (or mouse) would be much better when things are bumpy. Neither, in my limited experience, lends itself well to a bumpy road. Almost nothing does.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We use a similar system for other functions you just move the cursor where you want it and the hook switches do the rest - its not quite the same but near. I have tried the mouse on the platform with a laptop and it works fine. If you have 10 minutes look at how they operate A330/50/80s nowadays. Now we are not quite in that league but its coming! I can never remember how to attach images so I have sent you an image by email.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We use a similar system for other functions you just move the cursor where you want it and the hook switches do the rest - its not quite the same but near. I have tried the mouse on the platform with a laptop and it works fine. If you have 10 minutes look at how they operate A330/50/80s nowadays. Now we are not quite in that league but its coming! I can never remember how to attach images so I have sent you an image by email.

Got it. Looks like an interesting solution. In a car I'm thinking only the passenger could use it legally.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I probably spend less than 50% of my time looking out of the windows, there's little point and its dangerous when there's nothing to see (IMC). When you can't see outside your eyes and arms all over the office.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts