What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bluetooth question for ipad air.....

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know offhand how much battery drain happens using Bluetooth headphones? the headphones have a 200 hr battery, supposedly. I am going on an overseas plane tgrip and am somewhat concerned about ipad battery playing movies with these headphones. looking for some advise before buying them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, I bet that's a 200 amp/hr batter, not 200 hours of headphone use. Unless there's an iPhone sized box attached to those headphones. Or maybe they are big headphones with space for a largish battery. Somewhere in the headphone description it should give you a plain language expected operating time on a full batter, not market speak about how big the battery is. My little ones (small earbuds) only work for about 4 hours.

As for the iPad. If you are listening to audio with the screen off, your iPad should last all day and then some (if that's all you do). If you are watching videos or playing games, then the those will be the major drains. What bluetooth adds to that drain isn't enough to bother measuring.

Before you make plans to use bluetooth on the plane, make sure your flight doesn't ban wi-fi and cellular, and when. Bluetooth is also a radio, and if they ban those they're unlikely to take kindly to you having bluetooth on.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know offhand how much battery drain happens using Bluetooth headphones? the headphones have a 200 hr battery, supposedly. I am going on an overseas plane tgrip and am somewhat concerned about ipad battery playing movies with these headphones. looking for some advise before buying them.

Well, your mention of '200 hr battery' likely refers to its standby time - I own some Rocketfish BT headphones - the audio playback time is listed as 12 hrs and standby times as 340 hrs; the battery capacity of the phones is not stated in the manual but likely would be in mAh - the charger is 5 v/0.5 A.

You are going to exhaust the battery of your iPad watching video and/or playing games long before using a pair of headphones attached using the BT radio listening just to audio. First, will the plane seat have power facilities, such as USB plug-ins? Second, if not you might consider investing in a 'battery pack' - I own the Lumsing shown below; has multiple charging ports from 0.5 A to 2.1 A (the latter for an iPad); storage capacity of this unit is 11000 mAh, so can easily charge several devices. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 10.34.48 AM.png

OP
L

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, your mention of '200 hr battery' likely refers to its standby time - I own some Rocketfish BT headphones - the audio playback time is listed as 12 hrs and standby times as 340 hrs; the battery capacity of the phones is not stated in the manual but likely would be in mAh - the charger is 5 v/0.5 A.

You are going to exhaust the battery of your iPad watching video and/or playing games long before using a pair of headphones attached using the BT radio listening just to audio. First, will the plane seat have power facilities, such as USB plug-ins? Second, if not you might consider investing in a 'battery pack' - I own the Lumsing shown below; has multiple charging ports from 0.5 A to 2.1 A (the latter for an iPad); storage capacity of this unit is 11000 mAh, so can easily charge several devices. Dave :)
View attachment 61701
ok I think it may be better to get headphones that plug into the ipad itself. that way airplane requirements do not apply. so, can I get any headphones and t hey will plug in or do I have to b uy from apple for ipad specifically?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ok I think it may be better to get headphones that plug into the ipad itself. that way airplane requirements do not apply. so, can I get any headphones and t hey will plug in or do I have to b uy from apple for ipad specifically?

Oh, silly me - i.e. if your iPad is on 'Airplane Mode', the BT (and Wi-Fi) radios are off, so BT headphones are of no use 'in the air' although iPads can still be used in that mode (don't fly as much as I use to and not sure if all airlines, especially from different countries, have the same rules?).

BUT, as to your question, any type of headphones that use a 3.5 mm mini-stereo plug will work, depending on the style you like (e.g. ear buds vs. over the ear), their overall size, and the price you want to pay; although more costly, you might also want to explore 'noise cancellation' headphones? Dave :)

OP
L

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, silly me - i.e. if your iPad is on 'Airplane Mode', the BT (and Wi-Fi) radios are off, so BT headphones are of no use 'in the air' although iPads can still be used in that mode (don't fly as much as I use to and not sure if all airlines, especially from different countries, have the same rules?).

BUT, as to your question, any type of headphones that use a 3.5 mm mini-stereo plug will work, depending on the style you like (e.g. ear buds vs. over the ear), their overall size, and the price you want to pay; although more costly, you might also want to explore 'noise cancellation' headphones? Dave :)
ok I missed the airplane mode thing too. ok I will just g et noise4 cancellation with 3.5 plug. cheaper anyway. thx for the help

Most reactions

Latest posts