What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth problem

ericmurray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a Bluetooth problem with ipad 4..when I switch Bluetooth to On, it doesn't come on straight away, takes hours and several resets of the ipad. I use the Bluetooth solely to connect with a non apple keyboard case but will soon be wanting to connect with a printer so I'd like some advice on this problem if poss.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Ericmurray - welcome to the forum! :) Well, I'm assuming that you have 'paired' a peripheral or two (e.g. keyboard, headphones, etc.) to Bluetooth (BT)? If so, when you activate BT in Settings, a list of your pairings should then be presented and will then be 'discoverable' (if close by & also turned on) - clicking on an item will make the pairing. Now, if you have no discoverable compatible BT peripherals in the vicinity then likely nothing will happen (keep in mind that BT is 'short range', i.e. about 30 ft).

Concerning printing, if you are contemplating buying an Air Print enabled printer to use w/ your iPad, a common Wi-Fi network is used, i.e. BT has nothing to do w/ this Apple technology - please respond w/ further questions, if needed. Good luck - Dave

OP
ericmurray

ericmurray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ericmurray - welcome to the forum! :) Well, I'm assuming that you have 'paired' a peripheral or two (e.g. keyboard, headphones, etc.) to Bluetooth (BT)? If so, when you activate BT in Settings, a list of your pairings should then be presented and will then be 'discoverable' (if close by & also turned on) - clicking on an item will make the pairing. Now, if you have no discoverable compatible BT peripherals in the vicinity then likely nothing will happen (keep in mind that BT is 'short range', i.e. about 30 ft).

Concerning printing, if you are contemplating buying an Air Print enabled printer to use w/ your iPad, a common Wi-Fi network is used, i.e. BT has nothing to do w/ this Apple technology - please respond w/ further questions, if needed. Good luck - Dave

Hi, the ipad has been paired with a keyboard case and at first it worked ok but very soon it failed to pair when I switched on so I tried restarting the ipad and that has worked but every time I switch on the ipad or the keyboard they fail to pair. The bt won't start on the ipad, when I switch it on, the little rotating symbol indicating that it's trying to start is working but it won't start. Good news about the AirPrint though, it should arrive tomorrow.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, the ipad has been paired with a keyboard case and at first it worked ok but very soon it failed to pair when I switched on so I tried restarting the ipad and that has worked but every time I switch on the ipad or the keyboard they fail to pair. The bt won't start on the ipad, when I switch it on, the little rotating symbol indicating that it's trying to start is working but it won't start. Good news about the AirPrint though, it should arrive tomorrow.

Hello again Eric...... - first, you should be fine w/ the printer using the AirPrint technology (assume that you have a Wi-Fi home network?) - second, sorry about the Bluetooth issue - if you have not 'Reset' the iPad (directions below), then give that a try (different from a 'Restart') - if still not successful, then you might want to re-discover your keyboard (usually involves entering a PIN code, like 0000) - if able and this also fails, then I'm exhausted w/ my suggestions except to try an Apple store or an authorized Apple service provider - good luck! Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, make sure your keyboard has fresh batteries or is fully charged. Slow or failing connections are often cause by a weak battery.

pellaen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I am new in the forum and tried to see if anyone faced similar problems with bluetooth. My iPad does not find the nearby Bose sound system (bose sound link)It keeps on searching. The iPhone does not have any similar problem.. I tried to reset to see if it works but with no result. Is there somthing else I could try? Thank you.

OP
ericmurray

ericmurray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I am new in the forum and tried to see if anyone faced similar problems with bluetooth. My iPad does not find the nearby Bose sound system (bose sound link)It keeps on searching. The iPhone does not have any similar problem.. I tried to reset to see if it works but with no result. Is there somthing else I could try? Thank you.

I have the same problem with a Bluetooth keyboard and so far no resolution. I tried resetting the ipad but it still won't connect reliably. I suspect it's possibly because of the keyboard which is made by Greatshield, not Apple.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello & welcome to the forum! :) Make sure that there is not another device 'paired' w/ your Bose sound system already - probably not the reason but worth checking; early this year, wife & I were in a hotel room - I usually bring my iPad 2 & setup my Apple BT keyboard, well the two would not pair - checked her iPad Mini which had already paired w/ the keyboard! Once BT was off on the Mini, I had no problem. Plus I'm assuming you are w/i BT range (only up to about 30 ft). Good luck - Dave

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi to you both and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial for our App
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...1590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-don-t-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Most reactions

Latest posts