What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth pan

guru_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone used sharing their Internet connection over Bluetooth to iPad using Mac lion feature called Internet sharing, I'm trying and paired my iPad but can't access net

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is an interesting idea. My first impulse is to say it can't be done, sice bluetooth is somewhat spottily implimented on the iPad; but you can use bluetooth to connect to the iPhone's hotspot. I'll have to experiment and see if I can get it to work.

OP
G

guru_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
That is an interesting idea. My first impulse is to say it can't be done, sice bluetooth is somewhat spottily implimented on the iPad; but you can use bluetooth to connect to the iPhone's hotspot. I'll have to experiment and see if I can get it to work.

Gr8 can you care to share if works!

OP
G

guru_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I've moved this to the Help section, where I think it will receive better attention.

Tim

Thx

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope. Can't get it to work. Just like under Snow Leopard it's easy enough to get the device paired, but it doesn't seem to be possible to do anything with the pairing. Setting up internet sharing using bluetooth did nothing.

I do get the nice chain link symbol on the iPad when paired, but it does not connect to anything.

On the iPhone you get the chain link symbol and access to the internet as soon as you connect via bluetooth (providing the Hot Spot is turned on). It won't even connect if the Hotspot is not on. I can only guess that it creates a different type of bluetooth connection than the one created between the iPad and Computer. No idea how to force it to create a different type of pairing.

I may play with it some more later. If I do, and get any worthwhile results I'll let you know.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Click on the iPad in the Bluetooth preferences on the Mac, use the gear icon below the device list and choose more info. You can see all the services available with the connection. While one or two of them look promising, I'm guessing that further investigation would show that they can not be used to connect to the internet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, last thing. I paired the iPhone and looked at the differences in services. The key service appears to be PAN Network Access Profile, which does not show up in the iPad's profile.

Oh well.

OP
G

guru_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok, last thing. I paired the iPhone and looked at the differences in services. The key service appears to be PAN Network Access Profile, which does not show up in the iPad's profile.

Oh well.

Awesome ..I tried with iPad yesterday but as u said with nice symbol you get nothing ...didn't try enough with iPhone as mine is unlocked but fairly new iOS 4.3.3 ..will see again

Thanks again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
guru_i said:
Awesome ..I tried with iPad yesterday but as u said with nice symbol you get nothing ...didn't try enough with iPhone as mine is unlocked but fairly new iOS 4.3.3 ..will see again

Thanks again

I should mention that although the iPhone paired and I could see the new profile, it most definitly did not work with bluetoothe sharing. Unlike the iPad that just did not work, I got an unsupported device warning on the phone, and it removed the computer from it't bluetooth list. So it's still no where near a solution.

OP
G

guru_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I should mention that although the iPhone paired and I could see the new profile, it most definitly did not work with bluetoothe sharing. Unlike the iPad that just did not work, I got an unsupported device warning on the phone, and it removed the computer from it't bluetooth list. So it's still no where near a solution.

What is the purpose of providing feature in lion which can work on it's own proprietary devices ...also you can't browse or share file with lions Bluetooth share :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Beats me.

Hold in mind I have no problem using the iPhone's Hotspot to connect to the internet, bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Matter of fact I'm using the Hotspot via bluetooth on my iMac right now (just to make sure I'm not full of it). It is only when I try to do it the other way around that it does not work; provide internet for the iPhone through the iMac's internet connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts