What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth Driver

Iphony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneinfos.de
Hi,

Worrying about ipad(1) being unable to use stereo bluetooth headset, I wonder whether this is a goodidea:
IPhone is smart enough to use even the input/microphone of the bt headset. Doesnt apple want us to do skype or voip calls with an ipad?! I am sure that the bt chipset is not worse than the phone...
The OS is the same and maybe the chip is at least similar. Isnt it possible to copy the bt "driver" (kext?) from iphone to the ipad?

So far, my web search wasnt successful :confused:

Do you have an idea or tip?
Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I wrong? I thought you could use stereo bluetooth headsets with the iPad. I've never tried it (don't own a headset), but the documentation would suggest otherwise...
See link...
iPad: Using Bluetooth headsets and keyboards

Have you even tried pairing a headset?

Last edited:
OP
I

Iphony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneinfos.de
Yes, stereo headsets are detected and work.
However, microphone or the direction from headset to ipad is disabled.

Furthermore, apps like skype and fritzfon etc. Do not use it as device. Not even as audio-out device :-( so you can use it for itunes, not more, not less...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, your opening comment of "Worrying about ipad(1) being unable to use stereo bluetooth headset" confused me...

OP
I

Iphony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneinfos.de
hi,

it's not really jb related, but (i)OS hacking fits better than this section. It's a feature which seems to be "disabled" by Apple, similar to a jailbreak, but not related to simlock etc.
where to find the masters for kext and co?

looks like the experts do only care about jb and nobody's thinking about unlocking eastereggs or existing hardware features ...

Reaction score
The bluetooth profile needed for outgoing voice is not supported on the Ipad from the box.
I'm not saying it can't or hasn't been done but I've never read of anyone successfully being able to add bluetooth profiles to an Ipad. With other platforms I've read of folks "changing the stack" but not on an Ipad.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the OP is asking is there any way to use the iPhone driver which obviously supports it. The short and quick answer is no AFAIK. Sorry.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

Worrying about ipad(1) being unable to use stereo bluetooth headset, I wonder whether this is a goodidea:
IPhone is smart enough to use even the input/microphone of the bt headset. Doesnt apple want us to do skype or voip calls with an ipad?! I am sure that the bt chipset is not worse than the phone...
The OS is the same and maybe the chip is at least similar. Isnt it possible to copy the bt "driver" (kext?) from iphone to the ipad?

So far, my web search wasnt successful :confused:

Do you have an idea or tip?
Thanks

It's not iOS related but app related...Skype does not support BT on ipad, different BT stack. You will need to contact Skype and ask for it in a future update.

OP
I

Iphony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneinfos.de
Mountainbikermark:
not supported on the Ipad from the box.
=> so you know a "work-around" to unlock the feature and extend the box?

cmartin6660: Sorry for asking, but is this an advertising for the acrobits softphone app or really a hint for getting the bt audio-in running via software without touching the core?

OP
I

Iphony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneinfos.de
OUTL4W: some guys asked skype about this and they say, it's depending on the ipad handling the hardware. on iphone the bt-transfer for audio in and out works well in the app!

Most reactions

Latest posts