What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth connection to computer

Gunnar Lind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect my iPad to my Macbook pro with the blue tooth but can't make it happen. The pad finds the computer but can't connect, it just keeps trying. I tried turning off the wifi but that didn't help. Any ideas?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont think you can without Jailbreaking, unless I am wrong?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's possible, but turns out be of very little use. There might be an app somewhere that takes advantage of it, but none of the native apps do.

On the off chance that you do have an app or some other function that you believe will work, you can pair them. Mine is, though it steadfastly refuses to be connected.

You need to make sure both devices have blue tooth turned on and are discoverable. After that, I'm afraid I'm going to get slightly vauge on you.

On the iPad go to Settings >> General >> BlueTooth and make sure it is on.

On the MacBook open Preferences, go to the BlueTooth settings, and make sure it is on and Discoverable.

Now, one of two things worked, and I don't remember which:

Either I saw my Mac show up on the iPad and I initiated the pairing there, or I hit the + sign under the device list on the Mac, saw the iPad, and initiate a pairing there. One of those worked, and I distinctly remember that the other one did not work. You'll have to try both.

As I said before though, I've never actually got them to use the channel for something. Maybe I just haven't tried the right something though, so give it a go and let us know if you discover anything useful.

andjoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure the iPads Bluetooth is set for iOS to iOS, KeyBoards and HeadPhones only under Apples locking down.

andjoh

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Device's suport is pretty limited in iOS itself. But they didn't lock it away from the developers.

They provide a method of setting up a serial bluetooth connection for developers. That means that developers can do quite a bit more, if they are willing to write the code, and a few do. But they can't provide system wide support, so any extra bluetooth support will be in app only. For now anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts