What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BlueFire reader freezes iPad2

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BlueFire e-book reader freezes iPad2

Since I JB-ed my iPad2 (4.3.3 32GB WiFi) my BlueFire e-book reader freezes it on exit. When starting the app, and whilst reading, there are no problems, but exiting the app causes the iPad to freeze for about two minutes and then respring. After this it works as usual again 'till I read e-books again...

Has anyone got a clue as to why this occur? Maybe I should try another reader? Any tips on which? I don't buy the books, they come from the library using my library card.

Everything worked flawless before the JB-ing, hence the placement of this thread.

//Stefan

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a bug with the way Bluefire reader works with JB'd devices. But, not to worry, there's a fix for that!

Go to Cydia and get Backgrounder (the 1.0.4-1 version); install it. You'll get an icon on the spring board. Open the icon and then go to the "Overrides" section. Tap the "Add" button and scroll until you find and then select Bluefire Reader. Set the Backgrounding method to OFF. Respring your iPad and then Bluefire will be fine.

You'll see (in Cydia) that Backgrounder is no longer supported and has been released into the wild. Doesn't matter - all you want is the ability to stop Bluefire from hanging. However, with Apple's multi-tasking, you don't have to actually use Backgrounder for anything else anyway (I just tuck the icon away in a spare folder...).

So, give that a shot and let me know how it worked for you. It worked for me right away, so ....

Marilyn

OP
Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, yes! That worked like a charm! Limitless gratitude onto you! :D

Now I don't have to wait a couple of minutes after reading if I want to do something else on my dear iPad! :cool:

rivrandir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
worked great until iOS 5.1.1

Hi, this solution worked great, until the update to iOS 5.1.1. Am I alone with this new problem?

schowe81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, same to me. After IOS 5.1.1 it doesn't work any longer.
Would appreciate any help/ workaround/ idea!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the "fix" was kind of a hack in the first place. With the upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, whatever worked by using Backgrounder for Bluefire must have been changed or broken. As the jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1 is so new, I've not heard of any workarounds being developed or released.

All I can suggest is to use Overdrive if you want to get library books and wait to see if anyone works on this freezing issue under the new iOS.

Sorry, but that's where we are.

Marilyn

schowe81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Marilyn ! In my case Overdrive is a good workaround, and it works without crash or freeze!

Werner

Speedin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the "fix" was kind of a hack in the first place. With the upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, whatever worked by using Backgrounder for Bluefire must have been changed or broken. As the jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1 is so new, I've not heard of any workarounds being developed or released.

All I can suggest is to use Overdrive if you want to get library books and wait to see if anyone works on this freezing issue under the new iOS.

Sorry, but that's where we are.

Marilyn

I liked the "fix" before, but as you mention with the new JB it does not work, but where can i get the Overdrive

EDIT: i have found out that when i'm in Bluefire reader and instead of pushing the "Home button" once to acces the desktop (an then freeze) i can push the "home button" twice so the pop up of the background programs comes up and then i can chose one program from there. The other program will swich/open as it should and from there i can push the Home button once to access the "Desktop"

I still have Backgrounder installed. I hope the "fix" helps untill a real solution arrives.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Overdrive is a free app from the App Store. Most public libraries use it. You download it, browse to your public library, find a book you want to borrow, sign it out with your library card and the book is downloaded to the Overdrive app. Very handy.

As an aside and a bit of history, this fix to Bluefire reader was back in the day before Overdrive came out with an app for the iPad. It was a workaround for a workaround. But, now that Overdrive is iPad optimized, it's easier, IMNSHO, to just use Overdrive for library book borrowing.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts