What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue tooth connection between iPad and Droid

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the non 3G version of the iPad. I love mapping software. Bummer for me. ;o)

But my Droid has GPS. I installed Bluetooth GPS on the Droid and can share the gps through BT with my PC. Nice. One less price of equipment to pack into the hills with me.

Tried doing the same with the iPad but as everyone knows, I get the infamous "paired but not connected" message when I try to connect it.

Has anyone developed an app to overcome this issue? I really don't want to jailbreak. either a Droid app to simulate apple Bluetooth or an iOS app that allows Droids BT to connect to it? I've looked and not found anything but before giving up thought I should ask you guys. Did I miss anything?

I know there is a BT GPS unit that connects to the iPad but the cost is over a hundred bucks and the reviews make it seem like a lot of problems with the power switch. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money on something I already have.

Nate

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I downloaded the mapquest mobile gpson my ipad and I tether my wifi only ipad from my Droid x......I haven't tried yet on the road but if im tethered with a good 3g signal he whole time should it work?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope.....navigon 1.7? Is that what your gonna suggest though? Haha guess the only way to get that is to be jailbroken to avoid $70

Last edited:

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Oh, no. I was just curious. I have the 3G iPad, so I dont have to worry about extra GPS pucks or tethering. Also, I don't have a jailbroken iPAd, I don't see a need for me to do so.

I would be interested to know if MotionX's DPS Drive works with your Droid X. That is the app I have for navigation.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, no. I was just curious. I have the 3G iPad, so I dont have to worry about extra GPS pucks or tethering. Also, I don't have a jailbroken iPAd, I don't see a need for me to do so.

I would be interested to know if MotionX's DPS Drive works with your Droid X. That is the app I have for navigation.

The $2.99 for the app does that come with the voice for 30 days or is it a separate $2.99?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I don't use the Voice part, as with a screen that big, a quick glance is enough really. I never even used the voice on my in-car GPS either. I do know the voice is extra.

The biggest advantage I have seen is that you can download the maps ahead of time over wifi and have them there. It is spot on, though, and very easy to use.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the non 3G version of the iPad. I love mapping software. Bummer for me. ;o)

But my Droid has GPS. I installed Bluetooth GPS on the Droid and can share the gps through BT with my PC. Nice. One less price of equipment to pack into the hills with me.

Tried doing the same with the iPad but as everyone knows, I get the infamous "paired but not connected" message when I try to connect it.

Has anyone developed an app to overcome this issue? I really don't want to jailbreak. either a Droid app to simulate apple Bluetooth or an iOS app that allows Droids BT to connect to it? I've looked and not found anything but before giving up thought I should ask you guys. Did I miss anything?

I know there is a BT GPS unit that connects to the iPad but the cost is over a hundred bucks and the reviews make it seem like a lot of problems with the power switch. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money on something I already have.

Nate

Root Droid, install wifi tether app (it is a real pain to get to work..sorry, only connects sometimes.) if you can get it connected you can go to maps and actually get a roundabout location....its not pinpoint accurate but its pretty damn good and will move with you if in a car.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com

Nate

There just isn't any real nice way to do it. There will be work involved. GPS is one of the reasons I got the 3G version of the iPad, though now I use the 3G a lot (but never seem to hit the 2GB limit...)

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Root Droid, install wifi tether app (it is a real pain to get to work..sorry, only connects sometimes.) if you can get it connected you can go to maps and actually get a roundabout location....its not pinpoint accurate but its pretty damn good and will move with you if in a car.

I'm already rooted and wifi tethered. Where I use maps there is no cell service. I need GPS or it won't help.

Thanks though. I do have mapping software on my phone so it's not like I am SOL here. Just thought it would be nice to use the iPad for those maps in the remote back country.

Nate

Most reactions