What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blowing up photos from iPad

snifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been asked to set up a new iPad for a friend. She told me that she gets many photos from her camera blown up and printed at a shop but they told her she won't be able to get photos from the iPad blown up.. is this correct?
Thanks,
Snifter

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) My first response is that the person @ the camera shop knows little about the camera specs on current iPad models. Now you did not tell us: 1) What specific iPad your friend owns; nor 2) If she means images taken on the iPad itself, which I am presuming.

I own an iPad Air 2 which has an 8 MP iSight camera on the back (see specs below from Apple - arrow); I just went outside and took a pic of the front of my house w/ the iPad's rear camera and brought the image into the Photogene app - see second pic below, i.e. 8 MP in size w/ the large pixel dimensions shown - I was able to AirDrop the image to my MBPro (on which I'm typing this response). Finally, an 8 MP image (huge @ around 3 MB) can certainly be 'enlarged' - look at the final pic below (check the red circle) - an image of that size should provide an excellent 12" x 18" print.

Now, the question is getting those images off the iPad onto a device/card/etc. acceptable to the print shop - she should take some iPad pics and present them to the shop for at least an opinion - good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 3.29.33 PM.png
House_8MP.PNG
PrintResolution.png

Last edited:
OP
S

snifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks Dave, I had a feeling that the person in the camera shop knows little or nothing about iPads and possibly has only seen photos from the iPad 2. We haven't bought the iPad yet but I imagine it will either be an Air or an Air 2, both of which I have but I am not a photo person, and don't know anything about photography but at least I will be able to tell my friend to try some photos at the camera shop before she decides she needs to stick to her camera.

Snifter

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks Dave, I had a feeling that the person in the camera shop knows little or nothing about iPads and possibly has only seen photos from the iPad 2. We haven't bought the iPad yet but I imagine it will either be an Air or an Air 2, both of which I have but I am not a photo person, and don't know anything about photography but at least I will be able to tell my friend to try some photos at the camera shop before she decides she needs to stick to her camera.

Hello Snifter - glad to help! :) My first iDevice was an iPad 2 which I used for more than 3 years (2011-14) - its rear camera was indeed poor, about 0.7 MP (believe my first digital camera was 2 MP) - just look back at the chart to see what quality print would be produced - virtually no good options - maybe a postage stamp! - ;) Dave

OP
S

snifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, even with my unartistic eye, I can tell the difference between photos taken with an iPad 2 and later versions. I am afraid I am a bit of an iFreak and have had every iPad version, including the Pro, since they were first released, and am now on my fourth iPhone. Just have to have the latest thing, sad to say though my young rellies are delighted since they get my cast offs. Just a shame I don't take better advantage of the cameras and unfortunately am too old to learn, and certainly too old to develop any artistic ability, if such a thing can be developed, which I doubt.

Thanks again,
Snifter

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .Just a shame I don't take better advantage of the cameras and unfortunately am too old to learn, and certainly too old to develop any artistic ability, if such a thing can be developed, which I doubt.

Thanks again,
Snifter

No you are not, and yes you can.

Age only matters if you have a specific goal that takes more time to invest in than you have left. So, if all you want to do is explore someting, or get better, it's irrevlant.

Anyone can learn at least the basics about anything, and that includes being an artist. (yes there are excpetions, don't kill my hyperbolic buzz)

It's just a matter of how you want to spend your time; as an investment, or just for the enjoyment. Enjoyment being the largest factor in our later years (in my oppinion).

So, no excuses. Just decide whether you want to try something. If you do, do. If you don't, don't. But don't bring yourself down by thinking you can't learn new things. Learing is one of the great pleasures of life, and you don't need a reason or excuse to indulge in it.

Sorry. Pedantic mode off.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, even with my unartistic eye, I can tell the difference between photos taken with an iPad 2 and later versions. I am afraid I am a bit of an iFreak and have had every iPad version, including the Pro, since they were first released, and am now on my fourth iPhone. Just have to have the latest thing, sad to say though my young rellies are delighted since they get my cast offs. Just a shame I don't take better advantage of the cameras and unfortunately am too old to learn, and certainly too old to develop any artistic ability, if such a thing can be developed, which I doubt.

OH MY - TP is in quite a philosophic mode (or mood?) tonight - TRUE and enjoyed - thanks! :)

@ Snifter - I'm retired and about to turn 70 y/o and still love to learn something every day (or in my case, trying to re-learn stuff that I've forgotten - ;)) - and probably a necessity in your case since many of your old iDevices are going to relatives who will just return to you for help - NOW, if you don't want the 'stress', then pass them on to non-relatives or stop buying and put Apple out of business - :) Dave

OP
S

snifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave, you are but a boy - I am 77, and a bit of an exception since you are right, I do spend most of my time helping younger friends and relatives as well as my peers, with iPads, iPhones and computers (don't tell a soul, but even Windows computers for those who fail to succumb to my persuasive powers that Apple is the best ) The person who gave me the most pleasure teaching how to use the iPad, was someone who I had tried unsuccessfully for years to get her to try a computer but at the age of 97 she decided she wanted an iPad. And so I got her an iPad and she never looked back and told everyone it was the best thing she ever got. She passed away earlier this year at the age of 100 with her iPad beside her hospital bed. So you see I am far too busy as well as too old to be trying to learn to be artistic. Snifter

OP
S

snifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you are not, and yes you can.

Age only matters if you have a specific goal that takes more time to invest in than you have left. So, if all you want to do is explore someting, or get better, it's irrevlant.

Anyone can learn at least the basics about anything, and that includes being an artist. (yes there are excpetions, don't kill my hyperbolic buzz)

It's just a matter of how you want to spend your time; as an investment, or just for the enjoyment. Enjoyment being the largest factor in our later years (in my oppinion).

So, no excuses. Just decide whether you want to try something. If you do, do. If you don't, don't. But don't bring yourself down by thinking you can't learn new things. Learing is one of the great pleasures of life, and you don't need a reason or excuse to indulge in it.

Sorry. Pedantic mode off.

OP
S

snifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think maybe that anyone can learn anything if they really want to but I think artistic ability that is learnt, would never be the same as that which is inherent in a person. Maybe in another world and another time I could learn but I am afraid I am more into learning things that are not intangible. There are far too many other things to learn these days and the way time flies, so little time in which to learn them.
Snifter

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, you are but a boy - I am 77, and a bit of an exception since you are right, I do spend most of my time helping younger friends and relatives as well as my peers, with iPads, iPhones and computers (don't tell a soul, but even Windows computers for those who fail to succumb to my persuasive powers that Apple is the best ) The person who gave me the most pleasure teaching how to use the iPad, was someone who I had tried unsuccessfully for years to get her to try a computer but at the age of 97 she decided she wanted an iPad. And so I got her an iPad and she never looked back and told everyone it was the best thing she ever got. She passed away earlier this year at the age of 100 with her iPad beside her hospital bed. So you see I am far too busy as well as too old to be trying to learn to be artistic. Snifter

OK Snifter - you have me beat in years - :D BUT, you are helping many w/ their iDevices, so BRAVO!

My wonderful MIL just passed away mid-2015 on Long Island - she was 94 y/o - she refused to do anything related to computers although on our visits, I would FaceTime her w/ our son in Indianapolis - she did enjoy and marveled at the technology.

Well, keep up the good work! Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think maybe that anyone can learn anything if they really want to but I think artistic ability that is learnt, would never be the same as that which is inherent in a person. Maybe in another world and another time I could learn but I am afraid I am more into learning things that are not intangible. There are far too many other things to learn these days and the way time flies, so little time in which to learn them.
Snifter

There is a tendancy to get semi-mystical about art. The reality is that it's like most things, about 10% talent and 90% work. A truely great artist probably has some undefinable talent to go along with the work; but pretty much anyone can become competent if they're willing to sweat for it.

And that's the thing. Most of us (me included) won't sweat just so we can be competent. Not unless we also happen to enjoy it enough to make it our hobby.

Me, I'm a dilantee. I almost always stop where the sweating starts. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And that's the thing. Most of us (me included) won't sweat just so we can be competent. Not unless we also happen to enjoy it enough to make it our hobby.

Me, I'm a dilantee. I almost always stop where the sweating starts. :)

Hey TP - the statement in bold above reminds me of our young son (he just turned 42 y/o - YIKES!) - he use to not enjoy sweating, and when we took him to our wonderful Carolina beaches, he hated to get sand between his toes - but he is happily married and an IT guy in Indianapolis (no sandy beaches there - ;)) - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey TP - the statement in bold above reminds me of our young son (he just turned 42 y/o - YIKES!) - he use to not enjoy sweating, and when we took him to our wonderful Carolina beaches, he hated to get sand between his toes - but he is happily married and an IT guy in Indianapolis (no sandy beaches there - ;)) - Dave :)

A kindred spirit. Though I don't mind sand in my toes, or beaches, as long as I don't have to exert myself. :)

OP
S

snifter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I don't mind sweating but it certainly has to be at something I enjoy and art is not one of them. Geez, I don't even know what looks good in the house so my furniture which was arranged by a nephew when I first came to this house 13 years ago, still stays the same year after year.
Snifter

Most reactions

Latest posts