What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blocking an application to run

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i'l try to explain the best I can

My brother in law (12 years old) have an iPod touch 4 gen and he has his own apple ID.

He has an app which makes him watch tv shows for free but has alot of violence shows.

Is there a way to block the app from running? ( it's not in ghr restriction section)

We can't just erase the app because he can redownload it

Any tips???

Reaction score
Not really.

There are ways of preventing it, but none work properly. You could for example jailbreak and then set a password for the app via lockdown pro, or hide the app icon, but you would then also have to disable the search.

The thing is, this is only achievable by jail breaking, but that opens so many more windows to take control of the device, that it is quiet difficult to achieve.

What might work, is if you set a password for the tv app, as well as Cydia.

But I think the best way would be appropriate education.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although you say that simply deleting the app won't work because they could redownload it, that's not quite true because in

'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions' you can set a passcode to prevent the installation of apps. So you could delete the app and then set the restrictions so as to prevent the re-installation of any apps. That way you could be certain that your child was unable to re-download either that or any other app.

Tim
Scotland

Ceeeeez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frustrated!!!

I've seen people ask great questions on these forums only to have the questions ignored or discounted. The frequent retort used to ignore a question is "WHY would you ever want to do THAT with your IPAD?"

Well, here's a situation... I have a son with an IPAD. I am REQUIRED by his school to issue this IPAD to him. It must be a NON-3G capable device... why? The school attempts to limit IPAD use to educational purposes by exerting control over the IPADs WIFI access. Without 3G, administrators reason, they have better control over the content and applications used by the students.

They're failing miserably.

These little brat kids are more tech savvy than even the IT people. They're figured out how to download OOVOO, Skype, and a host of text messaging programs so they can effectively screw around instead of doing their work. We need a way to remotely (or NOT so damned remotely) block these apps, remotely WIPE them, or exert some other type of control to prevent unauthorized apps.

Has no one at Apple thought of this? These are supposedly the Supreme Leaders of Technology. Yet they haven't figured out how to outsmart a kid using the device.

If there's no solution to this, I can tell you schools will NOT move to tablets. The ideas to use tablets in lieu of textbooks simply won't occur unless some modicum of control can be exerted over the device to restrict use to approved applications and prevent unauthorized apps.

So there's the reason WHY we need to block apps... now how in the world do we go about DOING it??

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi! i don't know about blocking access remotely, but doesn't tim's approach address this issue, password-blocking the installation of apps? those tech-savvy kids would spend time decoding that password, unless someone thought of a way to get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts