What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blink off

GunnerDawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting frustrated because right in the middle of searching, surfing, etc. my iPad (original) chooses to revert back to the desk top. :mad: Any ideas to correct?? Thank you...

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GunnerDawg said:
I am getting frustrated because right in the middle of searching, surfing, etc. my iPad (original) chooses to revert back to the desk top. :mad: Any ideas to correct?? Thank you...

Hello GunnerDawg, welcome to the Forum. I'm surprised you have not received any replies to your problem. It is a really easy problem to solve. As you may know, the iPad original has limited RAM, so in order for you to keep searching and surfing, you have to do some work arounds:

1. Be sure you clear or close any apps that you recently used. They are temporarily put on a shelf, below the screen. You double click the home button to reveal this shelf. Press an app until all the apps on the shelf wiggle, an 'x' should appear in upper left corner of each app, press until the app closes.
2. Remove your history and cookies on a regular basis. If you want to keep a website on your list, you will need to book mark it or create an icon that will take you directly to the website. Once you clear your cookies, browsing history, this will free your RAM.
3. If you get notifications from newsites, I get notifications from CNBC and USA Today about financial and world news, these notifications get stored on a list. You should clear those out too. On your home screen, swipe down from the top center of your screen where the time is displayed, this should bring down the list of notifications you received. There should be a clear button on each section of the app that notified you. Clear that information.
4. Every once in awhile, you should turn off your iPad by pressing down the home button until you get the power off slider. This will definitely clear out any other apps tieing up your RAM. I would close all apps, clear all notifications, clear off history and cookies in Safari before doing this last part, that way you sort of start all over with a fully cleared RAM.
5. There is also a Sleep Button plus Home method that resets your OS. When you press both buttons for several seconds, the iPad will reveal the slider just like in #4 above. (as opposed to where you temporarily press both buttons, you can take a screen shot and save your home screen as a photo-->a useful way to save images of websites you want to return to, by the way.)

Last edited:
OP
G

GunnerDawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been on vakay so didn't read your helpful tip until now. THANK YOU, I'll give it a try...

Now another issue I have encountered just recently is that there were several apps that needed to be updated. Now they are stuck and not updating. ARGHHHH

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GunnerDawg said:
Been on vakay so didn't read your helpful tip until now. THANK YOU, I'll give it a try...

Now another issue I have encountered just recently is that there were several apps that needed to be updated. Now they are stuck and not updating. ARGHHHH

Welcome back. This is not another issue cause it is all part of the smaller memory on your original iPad. When you have this memory problem and not clear your memory, updating your apps exacerbates your memory problem. I would do first what I advised earlier. After your re-boot your iPad, get back to your home screen, delete all of the updates that are hung up in update gray zone. Then instead of home screen down, press and hold home screen plus home button until you get the power off slider. This is a software reset. When you get back to the desktop, go to AppStore and re-do your updates.

I hope this helps your secondary problem.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts