What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bleutooth

nawm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a ipad MC774NF/A
There is a knob with 'bleutooth' but that does not work. I can not send or recive pictures. Why??

300km per week.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF, nawm!

Bluetooth on an iDevice is not designed to send and receive pictures. It's able to connect to accessories such as headphones or keyboards.

If you want to send/receive images using the Bluetooth feature, you'll have to look for an app that will do this. There are a few in the App Store.
It's also possible to share photos via AirDrop: http://support.apple.com/en-eg/HT204144
This only works between Apple devices.

OP
N

nawm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I were very helpfull. Now I finily understand why it does not work. Thank You

300km per week.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF, nawm!
Bluetooth on an iDevice is not designed to send and receive pictures. It's able to connect to accessories such as headphones or keyboards.

JA, while this was true when you wrote it in 2012, I believe it is now possible to Air Drop photos using just Bluetooth, no wifi needed. Progress!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JA, while this was true when you wrote it in 2012, I believe it is now possible to Air Drop photos using just Bluetooth, no wifi needed. Progress!
I've posted the link to AirDrop in my first reply. If you read my post, you have found it. This is the latest information.

Last edited:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've posted the link to AirDrop in my first reply. If you read my post, you have found it. This is the latest information.
JA, that site says this. "You also need to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. If you want to share with your contacts, sign in to your iCloud account."

I believe, and have done, Airdrop with no wifi just Bluetooth. As with mirroring to Apple TV with the newest models.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that if WiFi is turned off, AirDrop will not work. Bluetooth is used to establish a peer to peer WiFi network and most of the info is sent via WiFi, not bluetooth.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JA, that site says this. "You also need to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. If you want to share with your contacts, sign in to your iCloud account."

I believe, and have done, Airdrop with no wifi just Bluetooth. As with mirroring to Apple TV with the newest models.
When you mirror your iPad to your Apple TV (mine is the 3rd generation), you don't need Bluetooth.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you mirror your iPad to your Apple TV (mine is the 3rd generation), you don't need Bluetooth.

JA, Assume you mean don't need wifi. I had thought that also applied to Airdrop but I'm wrong. Still I think I "did it.", sort of at a location with a captive network. I was logged in, other person had not logged in but might have been connected to the wifi and that allowed the Air Drop even though without logging in, that person could not access the Internet. Will test that out next chance I get.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know about AirDrop, but to use peer-to-peer WiFi from iPad to Apple TV, 3gen, model A1469, without being on a local WiFi network, you do have to have both WiFi and Bluetooth on, at least until the pairing is done. Scifan57 is correct. Here's what Apple says (iOS8):
Peer-to-peer AirPlay
With peer-to-peer AirPlay, your iOS device and Apple TV don't need to be on the same Wi-Fi network. If you have one of these products, you can use peer-to-peer AirPlay:

* iPhone 5 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, or iPod touch (5th generation) using iOS 8 or later.
* Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469 or later) with Apple TV software 7.0 or later. Find out which Apple TV model you have.

To use peer-to-peer AirPlay, your iOS device needs to have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.

Most reactions

Latest posts