What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackberry Tethering

Drummo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
after reading here how it's done I'm having problems.
So I jailbroke my ipad, installed Ibluever, installed pdanet on my Blackberry Torch and thought all was done.
I can see the BB in Ibluever, I connect the two and all looks ok. I then go to access a web page on the ipad but it comes back saying safari could not access the page. So then I go to my mail and it says it's connecting and then downloading mail but none come in and I can see mail in my webmail so I know there is mail to come in.
Can you help why it's not downloading.
I am in Australia on Vodafone so using "vfinternet.net" as the VPN and *99# as the dial up number.
Thanks for your help.
cheers

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Hacking section, where I think it will receive better attention

Tim

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. The first thing I have to ask is are you sure PDANet is working properly on your BB first? Once that's confirmed, you then move on to troubleshoot the iPad.

Is there any other device you can connect to PDANet and use your BB tether? E.G a laptop. I know PDANet supports USB tether in this scenario. Can you test that first? If a laptop connected to the BB via USB (and totally disconnected from the internet via its normal routes, ie wireless or wired connection) can get online, thats a good first start. Then if you have Bluetooth on the laptop, try tethering via that.

If you iPad is connected to the BB via Bluetooth OK and Safari etc. is returning the standard "not connected to the internet" type responses then it is usually a good sign that there is something wrong on the tether end, rather than the iPad...

Let us know how you get on.

OP
D

Drummo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi f4780y,
thnxsvm for your tips.
I have carried out your instructions.
Step 1. I have connected my laptop to my BB via USB running PDA net and I can access the net, no problems.
Step 2. I cannot connect my laptop via bluetooth as my laptop doesn't have bluetooth. Having said that I have several bluetooth devices running on my BB, headset, carkit etc. It appears as though the ipad connects running ibluever via bluetooth to my BB as I can see the ipad highlighted in my bluetooth connections on my BB.

Step 3. When I try to use the ipad via bluetooth through my BB is where the issue is. I've turned on ibluever on my ipad and chose my BB in the "Devices" tab in ibluever. It runs through all the codes and a green tick appears next to my BB in ibluever. I now go to my BB and turn on pdanet and the BB says "verifying internet on your BB" and it sits there and that's where it stalls.

I hope this clearly explains my issue.

Thanks once again for your help with this.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes thanks, that does. Unfortunately I'm not sure where to take things next. It appears as though you have done everything right, and as you say connection is successful. As you can't test the tethering with bluetooth with another device, and I know the iPad side works well normally, all I can do is suggest you try and get some support on the PDANet side from junefabrics.

Unless of course any of our other members are tethering a BB using PDANet via bluetooth?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use ibluever to tether to an LG Env touch with the DUN hack. But that is verizon in the US. I can tell you much about austrailia.
Go to ibluever and connect to the BB. Then tap on the blue arrow next to the phone in ibluever. Scroll down to the bottom. Do you have an ip address?

callchris321

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all
i was inquiring ealrier about tethering my ipad 2 wifi to my blackberry from what i have read (and not all the forms ) am i right in thinking i can only tether my BB to the ipad if its jailbroken?

regards
Chris

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
callchris321 said:
Hi all
i was inquiring ealrier about tethering my ipad 2 wifi to my blackberry from what i have read (and not all the forms ) am i right in thinking i can only tether my BB to the ipad if its jailbroken?

regards
Chris

Unless the bb has wifi tethering.

OP
D

Drummo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use ibluever to tether to an LG Env touch with the DUN hack. But that is verizon in the US. I can tell you much about austrailia.
Go to ibluever and connect to the BB. Then tap on the blue arrow next to the phone in ibluever. Scroll down to the bottom. Do you have an ip address?

Hi there,
Yes there is an IP address. It appears to be working, be it extremely slowly.

Many thanks for all your responses.
Cheers.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my BB with PDAnet and IBluever, it is slower than your wifi connection but it's better than no connection. The purchased version of iBluever works much better than the demo version to test the apps. When connected with this configuration make sure you have a good signal on your BB, I did notice that if you have a weak signal it not only slows your data it also will throw the errors which you're seeing.

This does work well but not at the speeds you're use to on wifi but again it's better than nothing at all.

OP
D

Drummo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my BB with PDAnet and IBluever, it is slower than your wifi connection but it's better than no connection. The purchased version of iBluever works much better than the demo version to test the apps. When connected with this configuration make sure you have a good signal on your BB, I did notice that if you have a weak signal it not only slows your data it also will throw the errors which you're seeing.

This does work well but not at the speeds you're use to on wifi but again it's better than nothing at all.

Hi Bluecente,
Thanks for the tip. I'll try again when I have a stronger connection on my BB.
Cheers.

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The better question here is, why in gods name did you buy a BlackBerry :p

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Macmee said:

A lot of people buy them. Not my first choice though. The buttons are sooooo tiny, and the whole thing is just big anyway.

OP
D

Drummo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Because Vodafone said if it's for business you go for the BB. I got my wife and daughter the iphone 4's. Guess who's regretting their decision now !

Most reactions

Latest posts