BlackBerry CEO Thinks Tablets Will Be Irrelevant Five Years From Now

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    [FONT=&quot]
    [​IMG]

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins has some bad news for Apple today, telling Bloomberg that he doesn’t think tablets have much future, saying, “In five years I don’t think there’ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore. Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model.†Rather surprising remarks, you might think, given the success of Apple’s iPad, and it would seem that lots of other people would agree with you, as “BlackBerry CEO†was trending on Twitter worldwide today, with tweeters reporting the comments with varying degrees of incredulity and mirth! As Bloomberg points out, this is probably just BlackBerry’s roundabout, and face-saving, way of saying that they won’t be launching any more BlackBerry playbook tablets, which have certainly failed to set the tablet market alight. Obviously you can’t expect Heins to give any attention to a rival device such as Apple’s iPad, but five years is a long time in tech, so is there any chance that he could be right, and tablets will no longer be the gadget of choice in 2018? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] BlackBerry CEO Questions Future of Tablets - Bloomberg
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
  3. MEdwards

MEdwards iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So what will be relevant, the Blackberry IX? Unlikely.
  4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Hmm.....blackberries tablet didn't even last 5 months....no wonder...
  5. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    Five years is a long time and the public is fickle. For all I know, he could be right.
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    There's a saying along the lines of, even a broken clock is right twice a day, lol.

Of course he could be right. I could win the lottery, too. I just wouldn't count on it.
  7. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    In five years time the lottery will be irrelevant, the dollar will be withdrawn and we will all use outdated iOS devices as cash.

The Archangel
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    If that's the case, I'm gonna stop giving my old iDevices away!
  9. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Two iPad 2's and an iPod Nano for a cauliflower, I'm stocking up on iOS devices as I love cauliflower!

The Archangel
  10. cwinter

cwinter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I read another article somewhere and it seemed to indicate he meant that margins will be so depressed on tablets that they will be irrelevant for profit generation. They gave an example of an Android device very similar in stats to the iPad mini but at half the price. Low priced devices will drive margins down for everyone, just as it did with PCs.

We'll see what the future holds. I, for one, will likely not buy a laptop in the foreseeable future due to tablets, so I'm not sure what that means. :)
  11. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I don't like cauliflower, but I will trade for gummy bears!
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Lower margins don't mean death to tablets. Amazon has already proved that, because its biz model is different and it makes nothing or next to nothing on tablet hardware.

If the BB guy can't already see what exists, and the potential or necessity of evolving biz models, he's a joke.
  13. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    Trade Cauliflowers for gummi bears? You two just made tablets irrelevant.

Sent from my stock iPad 2
  14. tazz3

tazz3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Whats a blackberry lol, this guy has no clue on what he is saying
  15. Spugnut

Spugnut iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If he is so good in seeing the future, why is he working for Blackberry?

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  16. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Blackberry CEOs continue to be completely irrelevant. You remember when they predicted the iPhone would be a total failure because it didn't have a keyboard?
  17. fb si

fb si iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think tablets are here to stay, just like desktops and laptops. Will tablets sell in the numbers they do now? Who knows? But they'll obviously get lighter, clearer, faster and perform more and more functions like everything else.
  18. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0
    Apple does make a good buck on the iPad though and I believe super thin margins will be unattractive to them. Sure, apple rakes in cash via app downloads too but their hardware isn't being given away for free like a kindle fire or whatever. Personally I don't feel the iPad will ever lose profitability. It's a great device and feels the most polished and useful when compared to all of the other tablets. I know the rage now is smaller and lighter but not everyone wants a tiny phone screen for everything. The iPad is the perfect size IMO and I can't see them going anywhere except in people's homes.
  19. i2030

i2030 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [TABLE="width: 601"]
    [TR]
    [TD][SIZE=+1]The Fox and the Grapes[/SIZE][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 601"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]O[SIZE=-1]NE[/SIZE] hot summer’s day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. “Just the things to quench my thirst,†quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.â€

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][SIZE=-1]“IT IS EASY TO DESPISE WHAT YOU CANNOT GET.â€[/SIZE][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  20. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    It must leave a sour taste in the mouths of those at Blackberry. The Playbook is a great piece of equipment, very well put together and easy to use. My wife loves hers. It was becoming increasingly obvious, however, that it was a marketing disaster when I bought it. I paid less than the difference of a storage upgrade for my sons iPad mini. He loves that too, by the way.

And there's part of the difference. My son is app-based. He really doesn't care what the hardware is. He just want to be able to use it. My wife, on the other hand, couldn't care less that there are absolutely no worthwhile apps for the Playbook. Why should she? She uses it for browsing and emails.

Me? I still remember the pat on the head that RIM gave to smartphone users a few years ago. Let the children play with their iPhones. Real people use Blackberrys. Of course, that was back in the day when Blackberry owners would leave them on the corner of the desk to show the passing hoi-polloi that they were part of the jet set, that they had arrived. Now every exec, and his janitor, has the latest iPhone or Android stuffed in his pocket so it's not really a status symbol any more. But RIMs condescending attitude, I believe, is part of the reason for the woes they face today. I suspect tablets will still be a hot commodity in 5 years. I suspect that Blackberry may not be around to see it. Perhaps Apple should buy Blackberry now, chuck iOS on the BB hardware and market them as the iPhone/iPad for the masses. We keep hearing cries for a cheaper model range. There's one right there that just needs a decent OS, and would then be good to go. Of course, that CEO would need firing immediately.