What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black keyboard pops up and gets stuck

sdamon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoa, good catch. It is the Spotlight keyboard. I use it so seldom I never noticed.
Some of what has been said above lost me. However, I have had same issue, off and on for past 6months or more. I also use a Zagg Keyboard. I had this issue a few months back but then it went away until recently. That said, I just recently had to reset my Ipad because my SIM card failed. The "black" keyboard has now started coming up randomly for me. I did what was suggested above, by unclicking the Spotlight search and Bing Web results. However, I just looked over at my Ipad and in the time it took me to sign up for this forum and start writing my comments, the black keypad appeared again. 80% of the time I can hit the "Keyboard" button on my Zagg once or many times and I get the black keypad to go away, sometimes I have to go as far as resetting my Ipad.

sdamon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of what has been said above lost me. However, I have had same issue, off and on for past 6months or more. I also use a Zagg Keyboard. I had this issue a few months back but then it went away until recently. That said, I just recently had to reset my Ipad because my SIM card failed. The "black" keyboard has now started coming up randomly for me. I did what was suggested above, by unclicking the Spotlight search and Bing Web results. However, I just looked over at my Ipad and in the time it took me to sign up for this forum and start writing my comments, the black keypad appeared again. 80% of the time I can hit the "Keyboard" button on my Zagg once or many times and I get the black keypad to go away, sometimes I have to go as far as resetting my Ipad.

Correction - Not Resetting Ipad but rather "Rebooting"

GPV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happens to me all the time, with three different ipads(3s and 4s). It is so frustrating.... even after rebooting, the fix is very short lived. Can't wait to have a fix for this

Rob14erGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the exact problem with my iPad and I also have a Zagg keyboard. It seems this must be related to that external keyboard.
The only other thing I can add is that this problem happens after I download an app and lasts for a day or so then seems to go away until I get a new app. Then it starts all over again!

MrsRinkyDink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been happening for awhile. I've tried looking up the solution but it's never quite exactly what is happening.

For no reason, out of the blue, a black keyboard will pop up across my screen - usually at the most inopportune times, and it won't close. Hitting the keyboard button is futile.

I have to click off the screen, click back on, so it will go back to my home screen (black keyboard still present). Then I swipe above it so it asks for my security code - and the keyboard goes away to allow me to type it in. (thankfully)

I adore my ipad. We have 4 iphones/ipads in this house. But I gotta say, these new iOS updates are turning my iPad into something that reminds me of a PC. Not good.

Me too!!! Having the same exact problem. It was doing this awhile back then suddenly stopped and now it is doing it again. So irritating. I thought the recent update fixed this bug. I guess not.

MrsRinkyDink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the exact problem with my iPad and I also have a Zagg keyboard. It seems this must be related to that external keyboard.
The only other thing I can add is that this problem happens after I download an app and lasts for a day or so then seems to go away until I get a new app. Then it starts all over again!

I have a Kensington keyboard and I am having the same problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It won't hurt to try un-pairing your bluetooth keyboard, doing a reset on the iPad, then re-pairing the keyboard. I have no idea if this will help, but if it's some glitch causing the issue it has a fair chance of working, and it's easy enough to try.

Reset: Hold down the home and power button until the Apple logo appears.

Rob14erGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't hurt to try un-pairing your bluetooth keyboard, doing a reset on the iPad, then re-pairing the keyboard. I have no idea if this will help, but if it's some glitch causing the issue it has a fair chance of working, and it's easy enough to try.

Reset: Hold down the home and power button until the Apple logo appears.
Yes, doing this reset fixes the problem.
I use my ZAGG keyboard all the time but the mysterious black keyboard only shows up when I download a new app. Now, I simply turn Bluetooth and my keyboard off when I type my password in for downloading an app and then turn it on again afterwards. This method keeps the black keyboard from showing up again.

Goodomens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had this on our ipad mini. The power button is stuck so we cant reset it. But I managed to get search on it and typed in safari...the keyboard vanished then thank fully!

NavyResGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been happening for awhile. I've tried looking up the solution but it's never quite exactly what is happening.

For no reason, out of the blue, a black keyboard will pop up across my screen - usually at the most inopportune times, and it won't close. Hitting the keyboard button is futile.

I have to click off the screen, click back on, so it will go back to my home screen (black keyboard still present). Then I swipe above it so it asks for my security code - and the keyboard goes away to allow me to type it in. (thankfully)

I adore my ipad. We have 4 iphones/ipads in this house. But I gotta say, these new iOS updates are turning my iPad into something that reminds me of a PC. Not good.

I just fixed my mom's from doing the same thing and it hasn't come back:

Settings
General
Scroll down to: Keyboard
Toggle off Split Keyboard (appears to have gotten turned on during the last iOS update).

Most reactions

Latest posts