Black keyboard pops up and gets stuck

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by MiZDove, Jan 8, 2015.

1. MiZDove

MiZDove
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This has been happening for awhile. I've tried looking up the solution but it's never quite exactly what is happening.

For no reason, out of the blue, a black keyboard will pop up across my screen - usually at the most inopportune times, and it won't close. Hitting the keyboard button is futile.

I have to click off the screen, click back on, so it will go back to my home screen (black keyboard still present). Then I swipe above it so it asks for my security code - and the keyboard goes away to allow me to type it in. (thankfully)

I adore my ipad. We have 4 iphones/ipads in this house. But I gotta say, these new iOS updates are turning my iPad into something that reminds me of a PC. Not good.

2. MiZDove

MiZDove
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to mention, I'm talking about my iPad. Which version? Hard to say. It was called "The New iPad" when I bought it. Next gen after IPad 2, but not called iPad3 - and I have no idea what they are calling it now- since it's not "The New iPad" anymore. Fun stuff.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    We went back to calling it the iPad 3. Even Apple seems to have given up on it, though they'd rather you called it the third generation iPad.

A black keyboard is usually a password entry keyboard. They don't go away until you enter the password, or exit the app. Might be what's happening.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As to your question in this post, simply look on the back of your iPad for its specific model number and then go HERE and match the number to the name - let us know (and also which iOS do you have installed - assume 8.x?).

As to your OP and the black keyboard, inversion of colors can cause this to occur but your description is just peculiar as to when this happens (and not sure if other colors change when the KB shows up?) - for starters, please 'Reset' the iPad, i.e. hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release and let the iPad re-boot (you will not lose any apps, data, or settings) - let us know if this helps. Dave

5. MiZDove

MiZDove
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it IS peculiar, isn't it. "When it happens" is anytime. I'll be minding my own business, doing any number of things - doesn't matter because it happens no matter what I'm doing. It will actually pop up when I'm doing nothing as well. The black keyboard pops up on my screen and won't go away. I use a bluetooth keyboard (the Zagg jacket and keyboard) and have since Day 1. This never happened before until the recent iOS updates. Worth noting that the normal onscreen keyboard screen pops up if the Zagg keyboard is acting up, that's normal.

But this black keyboard kidnapping my iPad? I couldn't have been more shocked. My trusty iPad never gives me cause or pause. It just "works". Well, until it didn't.

I'll try to reset. Thank you for that advice. :)

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, you've introduced another consideration not mentioned in the OP, i.e. the use of a BT KB which might be the issue - don't know at the moment? Try the 'Reset' as described; then if not effective, you may want to turn off BT and see if the problem still exists; also, go the the Zagg website to see if there may be a problem w/ iOS 8.x - Dave :)

7. MiZDove

MiZDove
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much. I hesitate to blame the Zagg keyboard when I've used it for years without issue. The keyboard isn't the one that got the iOS update that started generating the black keyboard of death.

To describe the offending keyboard a little better, it has a black background, with gray keys and white letters. It has a completely different look than the iPad's onscreen keyboard.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Did you try a 'Reset'? Can you do a 'screen capture' and post to this thread? Dave :)

9. MiZDove

MiZDove
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Screen capture is a GREAT idea! I did a RESET though and it is not happening as often. Next time it does, I'll post a screen capture.

10. MiZDove

MiZDove
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Alrighty, I finally got a screen capture of this mysterious black keyboard.

Again to get rid of it, I have to click off the screen so it goes to the lock screen, because having to put in my passcode is the only thing that the black screen removes itself for. So don't mind my dog photo as my home photo. :D image.jpg