What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bizzare Ipad problem! Please help me..

ivantks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am at my wits end so I hope somebody in this forum can offer me some help. My Ipad is on iOS 4.2.1. For some bizzare reason, the Ipad would AUTOMATICALLY connect to the wifi by itself and launches the youtube application in sleep mode.

This is what I normally do after toying around with the ipad.

1.) Close all applications
2.) Turn off wifi
3.) Put the ipad to sleep

After about 6 - 7 hours when I turn on the Ipad again (after "Slide to Unlock"), the youtube applications will be open in the background. Double tapping the home button will reveal the Settings and Youtube application to be running. Wifi will be turned on inexplicably as well. Battery life would deplete by 10% within the 6 - 7 hours. Volume would set itself to 0. What is going on?!!

I have disabled all notifications. Disabled Ping. Disabled Push. All to no avail.

I am going crazy trying to figure out what the problem is. I thought it was my router that is causing the problem so I borrowed a different router from a friend but I am still experience the same problems. I don't mind that it auto connects to youtube and turning on wifi, but the battery drain is too much. I seriously doubt that there is a hardware malfunction because this is the 2nd ipad that is experiencing the same symptoms. My first ipad have experience the same bizzare symptoms and I sold it at a very low price because I thought it was faulty. After getting the 2nd ipad the same problem persists.

Any help would be much much appreciated! I am seriously considering ditching Apple and jumping on the android bandwagon!

Last edited:

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No offense, but this really seems like troll post. Especially with this statement -
I am seriously considering ditching Apple and jumping on the android bandwagon!
This your SECOND iPad that is doing the exact same thing?

If this is really a serious post, is your iPad JB?
If so, is SSH running?
What apps have you installed recently?
Did you even bother to ask Apple for help with it?

OP
I

ivantks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rsava: I ain't no troll. The Android statement is pure unbridled frustration with the Ipad. And yes, this is the 2nd ipad doing the same thing.
1.)Yes the Ipad is JBed. My previous Ipad was restored to 5.0.1 unjailbreaked. Same problem.
2.)No SSH running. I don't know what it is.
3.)I mostly installed games and goodreader. That's about it.
4.)I would love to speak to Apple but there is no official Apple spokesperson in Malaysia. Only a local distributor. The nearest Apple Store is in Singapore, and thats about nearly 100 miles away.

I hope by answering these question will convince you that I am not a troll.

Sweetpoison: refer to no.4

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one said you were a troll. Having said that ~ I will move your thread to our Hacking Section!

Good Luck!

I take that back ~ I didn't see that troll post.

No worries ~ hopefully someone can hook you up here in Hacking.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am at my wits end so I hope somebody in this forum can offer me some help. My Ipad is on iOS 4.2.1. For some bizzare reason, the Ipad would AUTOMATICALLY connect to the wifi by itself and launches the youtube application in sleep mode.

This is what I normally do after toying around with the ipad.

1.) Close all applications
2.) Turn off wifi
3.) Put the ipad to sleep

After about 6 - 7 hours when I turn on the Ipad again (after "Slide to Unlock"), the youtube applications will be open in the background. Double tapping the home button will reveal the Settings and Youtube application to be running. Wifi will be turned on inexplicably as well. Battery life would deplete by 10% within the 6 - 7 hours. Volume would set itself to 0. What is going on?!!

I have disabled all notifications. Disabled Ping. Disabled Push. All to no avail.

I am going crazy trying to figure out what the problem is. I thought it was my router that is causing the problem so I borrowed a different router from a friend but I am still experience the same problems. I don't mind that it auto connects to youtube and turning on wifi, but the battery drain is too much. I seriously doubt that there is a hardware malfunction because this is the 2nd ipad that is experiencing the same symptoms. My first ipad have experience the same bizzare symptoms and I sold it at a very low price because I thought it was faulty. After getting the 2nd ipad the same problem persists.

Any help would be much much appreciated! I am seriously considering ditching Apple and jumping on the android bandwagon!
Wow, that is bizarre! How about taking a video and posting it on YouTube so we can see exactly what it's doing? Without actually seeing it, it's going to be very difficult for folks to believe such an unheard of phenomenon...and I for one would really like to see this. TIA!

BTW, here's all of the Apple contact info...

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/contact/

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the deal, there is no way the iPad would do this by itself. Something has been installed though cydia, or a conflict between two apps, is causing the problem.
Especially when both iPads have done it.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with gray wolf because I once had my iPad JB and nothing bad like that had happend where it starts ruining things but I have another theory of what is wrong with your iPad. It's the the fact that it is jailbroken this is the reson why I had unjailbroken mine and u should two when you have your device jailbroken the jailbreaking program eats up your battery life because as you begin to get stuff through cydia and whatnot, you begin to have many things running around in your iPad and it usually tends to b glitchy because cydia dosent have a good testing thing like apple where it is all tested for your best benefits so long story short is that the problem with your iPad is that it's jailbroken. jailbreaking eats up battery life because of cydias stuff that you download and also theres not much in cydia for iPad yet there's nothin usefull in cydia that's compatible with iPad yet .also do you use cydia that much and what do you use that's from it?

If you stay with installing good, well known tweaks and apps, you can't go wrong. iPF has a great section and many threads about good, compatible tweaks and apps.

Many people start adding repos that have illegal content and that is where the problem lies. No one knows what comes with anything in those illegal repos.

Darkstar2007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.iphoneforums.net
graywolf said:
If you stay with installing good, well known tweaks and apps, you can't go wrong. iPF has a great section and many threads about good, compatible tweaks and apps.

Many people start adding repos that have illegal content and that is where the problem lies. No one knows what comes with anything in those illegal repos.

Not only this, but with time the firmware can become corrupted or bloated with temp files and caches. The temp files/caches is more of a memory problem than a performance problem.

My firmware became corrupted with my last jailbreak. I had app crashes and a few other things go wrong. A good DFU restore and a fresh firmware install fixed this issue with no problems. :)!

The thing I hate is, SHSH blobs really don't mean anything anymore. So if your firmware does become corrupted and your current firmware isn't being signed anymore you have to choose between performance and a jailbreak in most cases. :(!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not only this, but with time the firmware can become corrupted or bloated with temp files and caches. The temp files/caches is more of a memory problem than a performance problem.

My firmware became corrupted with my last jailbreak. I had app crashes and a few other things go wrong. A good DFU restore and a fresh firmware install fixed this issue with no problems. :)!

The thing I hate is, SHSH blobs really don't mean anything anymore. So if your firmware does become corrupted and your current firmware isn't being signed anymore you have to choose between performance and a jailbreak in most cases. :(!

My iPad was having a lot of crashes and lag problems, but I uninstalled tweaks and apps that I don't need or don't know what they are and iPad is running great now. Things like barrel, great tweak but all my apps and folders are on one page now so no need for it.

The iPad handles caches and temp files really well so I don't see how that could be a problem. But I have never gone more than a month or two without upgrading or restoring so I really haven't had the chance to give it a try.

OP
I

ivantks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with gray wolf because I once had my iPad JB and nothing bad like that had happend where it starts ruining things but I have another theory of what is wrong with your iPad. It's the the fact that it is jailbroken this is the reson why I had unjailbroken mine and u should two when you have your device jailbroken the jailbreaking program eats up your battery life because as you begin to get stuff through cydia and whatnot, you begin to have many things running around in your iPad and it usually tends to b glitchy because cydia dosent have a good testing thing like apple where it is all tested for your best benefits so long story short is that the problem with your iPad is that it's jailbroken. jailbreaking eats up battery life because of cydias stuff that you download and also theres not much in cydia for iPad yet there's nothin usefull in cydia that's compatible with iPad yet .also do you use cydia that much and what do you use that's from it?

Hi!

Yeah that was what I initially thought when the problem first surfaced on my first iPad. So I restored it to iOS 5.0.1 After firmware restoration, I did not JB the iPad because I thought it was the JB that screwed the system. The problem did not go away with 5.0.1 in unjailbreak form. This is happening on a fresh restore of the ipad with absolutely no apps installed.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

Yeah that was what I initially thought when the problem first surfaced on my first iPad. So I restored it to iOS 5.0.1 After firmware restoration, I did not JB the iPad because I thought it was the JB that screwed the system. The problem did not go away with 5.0.1 in unjailbreak form. This is happening on a fresh restore of the ipad with absolutely no apps installed.

But in your first post you say:
I am at my wits end so I hope somebody in this forum can offer me some help. My Ipad is on iOS 4.2.1.
????

If your previous one went to 5.01 then how did you get a new one with 4.2.1? That is really old in firmware life.

Last edited:

Chuamt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I m from Malaysia too. That's one of the weirdest problem I heard from an iPad user. Obviously u r not telling the full story, if that's the case no one from this forum can help.

Either u JB it to some certain extend. The other return it where u bought it from or send an email to apple, they will reply no matter where u from.

Good Luck

Most reactions

Latest posts