What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bizarre autocomplete problems

EmilyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I've been having some odd problems with my iPad's autocomplete feature when I use the on-screen keyboard (on English and Spanish keyboard settings). Certain little words are expanded into longer words/names, like these:
El > Nelson
La > Nula
I > PIRAHA (just like that, in all caps)
It > Pit
In > Pin

Sometimes it alters correctly spelled words into others, such as fish > dish and were > we're.

If I type the first few letters of a long word (correctly), it sometimes autocompletes it as a misspelling, like "psycholignuistics" or "osycholing" for "psycholinguistics."

Worse, it's apparently decided that "thr" is a word and doesn't correct it to "the" as it should-- and it even sometimes changes "the" to "thr"! Same thing happens with "br" for "be."

Is there anything I can do about this, or do I just need to type more carefully?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there is anyone who does not have trouble with auto correct at times but as you have 2 keyboards I think this may be why you are having even more troubles. I have heard of a tip where you write words in your contacts that you use regularly as auto correct is somehow connected with this. I hope others will chime in with more suggestions for you.

OP
E

EmilyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did manage to fix the "thr" problem by setting a shortcut (thr > the). And I also recently bought a bluetooth keyboard which doesn't autocorrect, so I won't rely as much on the onscreen keyboard.

Still, I'll try the contacts thing you suggested if these problems keep recurring-- but it seems to me that autocorrect eventually learns to stop "fixing" uncommon words and proper names, even though it still red-underlines them, so I don't have a lot of trouble with those.

safrax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in my experience it has just been a cas eof the more you type a word the more your device thinks you use that word, so just sit there and type out the failing words heaps and see if that changes anything

OP
E

EmilyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that a while ago with "psycholinguistics" but the iPad never seemed to get the message.

Most reactions

Latest posts