What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bike mount feasable?

Reaction score
I have been thinking about using the iPad while on the bike, but can't quite figure out how to attach it safely.

So far I have considered these options:
- Velcro on iPad back and then attach some standard mount with a flat surface to the bike.
- Building a frame around the iPad

The equipment is not a problem, as I can get access to most machinery, etc. so I just need to figure out a way to do it.

Are there any DIY's on similar projects?

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats kind of asking for an accident to happen,worst than texting and driving, also thats advertising you have an iPad please steal me.

Thats my opinion.

Al.

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
Al Rogers said:
Thats kind of asking for an accident to happen,worst than texting and driving, also thats advertising you have an iPad please steal me.

Thats my opinion.

Al.

How is having Google Maps open worse then texting and driving? It is just the same as having an old-fashioned paper map attached to the front.

And I don't think it advertises 'I have an iPad please steal me'. After all I would take the iPad with me when not cycling. And if anyone considers stealing a mere stand, well then they must have serious issues.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
There is also a weight and drag issue with something as large as an iPad on a bike. with as many bumps and other things that is possible to run over, I would imagine that there would be constant adjustment needed on the stand to keep the iPad visible.

I have an older Magellan Meridian Platinum with door to door maps on it and a bike mount for it and I am constantly having to adjust the angle. And it isnt nearly as heavy as the iPad.

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
Somerled said:
There is also a weight and drag issue with something as large as an iPad on a bike. with as many bumps and other things that is possible to run over, I would imagine that there would be constant adjustment needed on the stand to keep the iPad visible.

I have an older Magellan Meridian Platinum with door to door maps on it and a bike mount for it and I am constantly having to adjust the angle. And it isnt nearly as heavy as the iPad.

That is a very good point to bring up.

I have been considering to secure the mount via 3 clamps on the steering rod. Two near each of the handle bar and the third on the shorter end of the steering rod ( if that is what it's called). Anyway, in the end the clamps would be in a T-shaped position, which would hold the iPad fixed in place.

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what a mad and crazy engineer still it are really brilliant idea for bike or motor bike.

i think best way is...

i think A-frame *ethier upward A or downward A shape* are best option as it more simple and easy to make (first phase).... afterward it that you build each edge holder.. with lock pad so people will hard to robbery it. maybe success sell it..

make sure you got
hard protection case so you wont break it by fall or hit tree, etc etc to risk reduce..

if you want use it for sat nav and music, facetime via 3g, video your journey?
my tip and advice - better use iphone for it rather ipad as it is really massive.. and maybe nobody other will dare it do it... only you or brave people do it.. (p.s. i like your idea by way i think it is cool idea)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have seen photos of a bike attachment a few months ago.
Try a good google?

I would be more worried about iPad damage and facial disfigurement myself......

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
good luck, about bike mount with ipad i prefer iphone for bike mount it is best choice that ipad what benefit ipad on bike? ride watch or play with it or sat nav? all it is not good idea but sat nav maybe but too big and off balance and risk high that iphone or ipod touch....

i know i say it again.... update about it, i will look forward see it...

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is having Google Maps open worse then texting and driving? It is just the same as having an old-fashioned paper map attached to the front.

Having seen (young) drivers swerve erratically from lane to lane or run red lights whilst attempting to text and drive, they are a menace to other vehicles. With bikes - and I have seen a rider wobbling all over the road whilst fiddling with her iPod and riding one-handed - the danger of distraction is exacerbated because in a collision between a bike and anything else (e.g. vehicle, tree, etc), the bike(r) generally comes off worse.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Arkel handlebar bag has a nice vinyl map case that would work fine for this. It's even has a zippered, waterproof sleeve that fits inside. OTOH I'm not going to subject my iPad to that just to have a fancy map along. If I had several hundred extra dollars I would get one of the first generation iPads with 3G and GPS though to use for just this purpose. If.

Reaction score
I bought an iPad 2 3G purely to get proper GPS in order to use the iPad for cycle touring. So far I have just carried it in my bar bag, but a bar mount of some description sounds like a good idea. Having lugged a Samsung netbook 6000 miles across the states on my bicycle, an iPad is a dream, long battery life and relative light weight. I,ll post any ideas I come up with.

Most reactions

Latest posts