What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bigUmovies sign up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to buy the $19.95 lifetime subscription. I filled out all the credit card, billing info etc and hit continue at the bottom of the page but nothing happened. I tried it 3 times and then gave up.

What am I missing here? Do I need an account first to sign in to?

rookiedj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently you need to sign up for an Alert Pay Account. Once you signed up, you will need to verify a credit card to your alertpay.

The easiest method to verify is to use a credit card. They will charge a "secret" amount of 1 - 2 euros to the card that your submitted. You will then need to find out from your bank (or wait for your statement) the "secret" amount and then enter the amount to verify.

I did all that by calling the bank for the amount and then verifying the amount to my alertpay account. Voila! It's done.

However, after doing all the above, I found out that I cannot add funds to my alertpay account so bigU can deduct the funds. I cannot add funds using the credit card which I have already verified.

Can only add funds using bank wire transfer which will cost an additional $20. Crazy.

I have already given up as I have no wish to pay extra just to get the funds into my alertpay account.

Ridiculous why it's been made so difficult.

Or am I missing something here?

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't trust it.. Why does it want me to enter my Paypal login on it's site? Why not have an external link that pushes me to PayPals secure site?

Sent from Jailbroken my iPad Deux (32gb WiFi iOS4.3).. d(-_-)b

makavelli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, it's not PayPal, it's AlertPay and it does take you directly to AlertPay. I did it personally so I know it's legit. AlertPay's page is transparent therefore you can see the background of the app instead of the white background.

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, this app is so illegal it's ridiculous.

I don't really care, but these movie rips are so blatantly illegal I'm surprised everybody here isn't up in arm arms about it.

I DL'ed a movie this morning that is still in theaters and you could clearly see that it had been recorded by someone in the seats of a movie theater....

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recommend anybody who was stupid (like me) and paid for this app, DL everything you can right now before the app gets closed down.

The "lifetime" membership will only last until they are shut down.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
makavelli said:
Lol, it's not PayPal, it's AlertPay and it does take you directly to AlertPay. I did it personally so I know it's legit. AlertPay's page is transparent therefore you can see the background of the app instead of the white background.

Sorry, but I'm not likely to believe someone with 2 posts, who happened to come around around the same time this app appeared.. Nothing personal..

Sent from Jailbroken my iPad Deux (32gb WiFi iOS4.3.3).. d(-_-)b

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS.. I went ahead and deleted it.. No thanks on being pinged for downloading illegal movie rips..

Sent from Jailbroken my iPad Deux (32gb WiFi iOS4.3.3).. d(-_-)b

rookiedj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I so regret spending that amount of money on bigU. And its the most expensive amount to date!

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have purchased it and I am enjoying it like crazy! I, too, used a gift card with a small amount on it and didn't have a problem.

A note on the illegality. I can't pretend to know all of the specifics, but here are a few points to consider:

- You are purchasing a service. This service connects you to someone else's files.
- Regardless of how ludicrous it may seem, this company may have permission and is submitting royalty fees to the owners. With such a low, lifetime price (compared to the monthly fee for similar services, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc), I can't see how this is possible.
- Finally, as you have purchased the service, the legal risk is transferred with the tender of payment.

Anyway, this is how I justify...I mean rationalize...I mean understand it!

dawz2 - Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I
This service connects you to someone else's files.
- Regardless of how ludicrous it may seem, this company may have permission and is submitting royalty fees to the owners. iPF

Lol, yea right. I got to admit, I got a good chuckle out of that.....

rookiedj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once again, you do not have to pay $19.99 for this "service". It's a ripoff in my opinion. The first few movies I downloaded are secretly taken using a handy camera by someone sitting in the cinema.

As I mentioned in a post on another thread, you can actually see silhouettes of patrons walking about in the movie.

I wish someone posted the following before I paid the $19.99.

1) Go to Internet Moive Database -> The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)

2) Look see what you want.

3) Go to isoHunt or your other favorite torrent site.

4) Search for the movie torrent you want, add "mp4" at the end of your search terms for compatibility with your iPad if you do not wish to do converting from avi or other formats.

5) Download and transfer to your iPad. Done.

Alternatively, you can do a direct download to your iPad using the App "Downloads Lite" which is free from the app store. What you will need is only the megaupload link.

A simple google search will yield decent results.

Save your $19.99.

makavelli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's was a rip off to me when I used to spend $30 - $40 just to see a movie in the theatres with my wife and the movie ends up being crap! Do I get my hard earn money back as a refund if I didn't like it? Hell No! I can barely afford to pay my bills none the else spend the money on something I didn't enjoy. I found it more affordable to just buy an app like bigU app from Cydia and watch what I want and if I don't like it then oh well, I watch another movie. So bottomline, I'm glad I got the app. Every night is a movie night with my wife.

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that bigU is kinda slick.

Like other posters have said, you can DL the same bootleg movies without the app. The app certainly makes it easier however (especially if you haven't downloaded bootlegged movies before).

I have always known how to DL movie rips from megaupload and if I had realized in advance that all this app was doing was searching out and redirecting you to illegal rips I would have saved the $20. Since I paid the $ and I'm stuck with it, I will continue to use the heck out of it until it gets closed down (all these type of apps eventually get shut down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts