What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest annoyance with the iPad?

What are your biggest annoyances with the iPad? (4.2.1)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you saying it is OK for Apple to retroactively change how the CCK works? How could anyone have planned for that? It just happened.

I don't even have the CCK but I can see how it could tick someone off if they had something that was working one day and then, wham, update their iPad and it no longer works.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you saying it is OK for Apple to retroactively change how the CCK works?
I didn't say it, Apple said it!

change.jpg

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that would stand a legal challenge regarding diminished functionality after-the-fact for a wholly owned and purchased product. If it is true what they are saying about the CCK, and again I don't have one, that is one case where I believe a C-A lawsuit would be appropriate.

And fwiw, trotting out that boilerplate small print which often does not apply after-the-sale is not exactly a persuasive argument. Just like the signs at amusement parks saying not responsible for injury. Or the "not responsible for items left in vehicle." Sure, they always holds up in court. Not.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And fwiw, trotting out that boilerplate small print which often does not apply after-the-sale is not exactly a persuasive argument.
The "small print" is part of the product specifications, not some after-the-sale legal mumbo jumbo.

This is another instance of "Caveat Emptor" or let the buyer beware. Apple does not guarantee that an iPad, the iOS software or any apps will be suitable to your specific application. It is up to you to do your own due diligence and make that determination for yourself.

Philippe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you bought an iPad to replace a "real" computer with all of its features and functionality, you may have made a poor choice.
I know I know... it isn't really a computer, but it comes so respectably close to being one! It just feels like they intentionally hindered it's potential by omitting a USB slot.

so then get the camera kit. It comes with an SD card reader and a USB port...if you are jailbroken you can install iFile and read anything just like a reg drive.
Jailbreaking is risky... But it's true I hadn't considered that SD reader thing. I still wish they had made it standard rather than having us need to rummage through hacks and reprogramings.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is another instance of "Caveat Emptor" or let the buyer beware. Apple does not guarantee that an iPad, the iOS software or any apps will be suitable to your specific application. It is up to you to do your own due diligence and make that determination for yourself.
You keep missing the point. There are people who DID do the homework, found the CCK would work with their camera/video camera and were happily using it. After 4.2.1 it stopped working due to a change that has lowered the power output.

There is no reasonable way to explain that as "oh well should have done their homework."

By your logic Apple could remove Mail, Safari, iBooks, make the headphone jack inoperable and anything else they wanted to do and we should all sit by and say, "well that is their right!"

I would not agree.

Michael

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're both right. But from what I was accustomed to comprehend is that the line " subject to change" is usually geared to devices that you purchase after the one you have, not a regression in performance for the one in your possession. Of course software wise the sky's the limit...

Speaking of which, if they were to take away web browsing...I'd start on a witch hunt:mad:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I think the biggest problem is, people are SO stuck in the past they can't actually see what the iPad is. Think of it like a portable window to your home computing.

You can use Plex and Air Video to bring terrabytes worth of movies and music with you. Drop box can store all the files you ever need to access. Splashtop Remote allows you to jump onto your desktop anytime and do anything.

While I love iPad for what it natively does (mail, web, movies, etc), I love it more for what it has and is becoming. It is the most powerful device I've ever owned because it is essentially my entire desktop setup in a little tiny package I can take everywhere with me.

I use it all day everyday. Mostly logged in to splashtop controlling my mac pro at home. I can watch hulu and chat at the same time. No problem multitasking...since its my desktop!

This short sightedness is just getting so irritating.

I understand what you are saying, but it isn't always short sightedness. The examples you have given work fine under your normal circumstances, but that doesn't mean they fit the bill for everyone. All of your examples assume that you have access to wifi or 3G coverage and that simply isn't always the case. I can take myself as an example here. I just today got back from a trip to South Africa. I took my Ipad with me. I don't have a 3G Ipad, but that portion would have been worthless in SA anyhow. As far as wireless access goes, there is some. I believe the non-data rate was $10 for 30 minutes of access. Note that I did not say 30 minutes of usage. Just being connected to the network counts as time used. The data transfer packages are considerably more expensive despite the fact that the transfer rate isn't nearly good enough to support any type of streaming from your home network.

In this case, having some type of external storage would have been nice. You have some great solutions listed, but I think you are being a little quick to dismiss some legitimate complaints as short sightedness.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You keep missing the point. There are people who DID do the homework, found the CCK would work with their camera/video camera and were happily using it. After 4.2.1 it stopped working due to a change that has lowered the power output.

There is no reasonable way to explain that as "oh well should have done their homework."

By your logic Apple could remove Mail, Safari, iBooks, make the headphone jack inoperable and anything else they wanted to do and we should all sit by and say, "well that is their right!"

I would not agree.

Michael

OMFG! I actually AGREE with him on something!!!!! :eek:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would not agree.

Michael

OMFG! I actually AGREE with him on something!!!!! :eek:

Who, Michael, or the mod? Ya have to be specific, babe, with us from Cali.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts