What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big problem with push mail

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Push is not working with my gmail account in Ipad2 but working in other device like Nokia.
Also like to bring attention to Ipad2 technical team. Where I will get the contact information of the tech. team ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Forum is not affiliated in any way with Apple. We're simply a group of (unpaid) Apple enthusiasts who 'meet' together in this Forum. So there are no Apple personnel here at all (unless they're Members and unknown to us!!).

Tim

Davidmacpherson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Push" stopped working on my iPad2 a couple of weeks ago. All of my settings were correct ie unchanged from any point since "push" worked and nothing I did made any difference.

Couple of days later it all was working again. Interestingly during my "push outage" colleagues with gmail and iPads were not experiencing any problems at all.

David

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You make a great point. There's always an assumption that, when email stops working, it must be a problem at 'my' end. You then frantically change all your settings, reconfigure, reset - only to find a few hours later an article on the Internet saying that, say, Gmail was down this morning...

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just incase it is not the server:

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data: Make sure Push is turned on, then go to the Advanced settings and make sure it is turned on for your GMail account

If all else fails, you can try deleting and re-adding the account on the iPad. This sometimes clears up problems.

OP
Mahmud57

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rechecked all the settings. Deleted the account and reconfigured it. But push problem not solved.
I am using Nokia push mail service in my mobile with the same account. It is pushed to my handset. Is it a reason for not working in my Ipad as I configured the same mail account in two devices ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Shouldn't make any difference on how many devices.

Are you set up with the default GMail account setup, or using the Exchange method? If the default, then you might want to try setting up as an Exchange account. You lose Note syncing, but gain Contacts (all contacts group only) and multiple calendar syncing (after setting them up). Here's how.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

If find the Exchange server to be a tad slower to push emails than the IMAP one, but not by more than a minute or two at most.

OP
Mahmud57

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Poet. Push mail was working fine with Exchange setting. But unfortunately it stops working after a hour. Please advice.

OP
Mahmud57

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Poet, it is again working. Thanks

OP
Mahmud57

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my gmail account which I have created by exchange have two Sent items folder and one Sent messages folder in the mailbox list. Why so many ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mahmud57 said:
In my gmail account which I have created by exchange have two Sent items folder and one Sent messages folder in the mailbox list. Why so many ?

I'm not sure. It probably happened when you switched from the IMAP server to Exchange. If I remember the IMAP GMail account will let you choose a local or sever folder for Sent and a couple other folders. Maybe this got replicated to the sever when the account was deleted.

My recommendation is to send a few test messages with the iPad, via the web site (both desktop and mobile) and by any other GMail app you use. If they all end up in the same Sent folder got to the desktop web site and remove the unwanted folder. Be sure to check it first for any old emails you may want to keep.

The folder structure on the iPad should update, if not immediately then soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts