What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to handle xls emailed attachments

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I receive an email with an xls attachment.
I want to save as into Dropbox and the edit it ( figures only - not interested in preserving formats ),
What's the best way to do this.
I'm am JB if that makes any difference.
-keevill-

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I receive an email with an xls attachment.
I want to save as into Dropbox and the edit it ( figures only - not interested in preserving formats ),
What's the best way to do this.
I'm am JB if that makes any difference.
-keevill-

I just tried this on my iPad. I presses and held the document and got the "Open In..." popup. One of the apps I could select was Dropbox. So, I could save it right to Dropbox from the Mail app.

Try that and see if Dropbox appears for you. If yes, yay! If no, holler back and we can take another shot at it.

Marilyn

OP
K

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope - when I hold down and select 'other' I am offered Numbers, Quickoffice iFile & Office HD . Neither of them allow me to 'save as' to Dropbox.
Yes, Dropbox is installed on my Ipad.
My workflow wants that I receive on the ipad and then save as to Dropbox and then edit etc and then open perhaps in my Desktop ( Mac ) or even another machine ( Linux ).
Thx,
-keevill-

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, let's try this...

Do you have iFile? it's $4.00 (USD) from Cydia and it's an awesome tweak by itself. If you don't have it - stop reading this and go get it. :) If you do have it (or once you get it), link it to your Dropbox account. See this for details (ignore if you already have iFile with Dropbox linked):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347844678.981359.jpg

With it installed, you should get iFile to show up in the "Open In..." popup (when you press/hold the .xls file in Mail). Then, when iFile opens, it should open with ITS own popup. One of the selections within that iFile popup should be Dropbox:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347844726.994150.jpg

Dropbox will open and you can browse to where you wish to save the file.

So, try that? See if that works... :)

Marilyn

OP
K

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok Marilyn, I got it to work. It's a bit of a convoluted workaround but it works !!
I can get the file into Dropbox and open it with an app on the ipad to edit.

Thx for your help.
-keevill-

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts