What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to go from JB 3.2 to Stock 4.2?

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to start off with a Stock 4.2 and work with it that way for a while. I do plan to JB again down the road but for now I want to get a feel for the experience Apple intends us to have. This helps me appreciate the JB even more when I get there.

My concern is that if I upgrade to 4.2 directly there will be a bunch of old JB stuff on my system that I don't want and can't access anyway. I want a clean start but I don't want to lose data or app store applications (understand and think I can handle JB apps being gone).

Does it make sense to do a backup and then a clean install of 4.2? Would I be able to restore a 3.2 backup on top of 4.2? I suspect that the best thing to do is to do a clean install of 3.2 and then restore my 3.2 backup and then upgrade to 4.2.

What do you guys think?

-Greg

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when its available just hit update...it will erase cydia and remove JB and be up to date.

I already did it with my gfs from 3.2JB to 3.2.2 in prep for 4.2 worked fine.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when its available just hit update...it will erase cydia and remove JB and be up to date.

So you are saying that the upgrade performs a full wipe and then restores on top of it so any files I have sitting around due to cydia and cydia installed apps will be gone? I suppose that if I'm not happy with the result I can just do a full wipe and restore after getting to 4.2 and doing a backup.

-Greg

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So you are saying that the upgrade performs a full wipe and then restores on top of it so any files I have sitting around due to cydia and cydia installed apps will be gone? I suppose that if I'm not happy with the result I can just do a full wipe and restore after getting to 4.2 and doing a backup.

-Greg

No wipe, it will update as usual, but since cydia doesn't belong it will delete it.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No wipe, it will update as usual, but since cydia doesn't belong it will delete it.

Got it but what about other JB apps? Same thing? I believe then when I upgraded to 3.2 from 3.1 and then applied the new JB and installed JB apps that the data (e.g. Iconoclasm settings) for my JB apps was still there. Not sure if that was due to the iTunes backup or due to files being left sitting around. I considered it a good thing for the minor bump from 3.1 to 3.2 but going to 4.2 is a bigger jump and I don't want problems down the line from leaving stuff sitting around. I guess I could just uninstall my JB apps before doing the upgrade.

Am I making this too complicated? Is there anything to be gained by doing a virgin install, a backup restore, and then the upgrade?

-Greg

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question Greg. Im awaiting the anwer also. I think it does leave behind the old files associated with the jailbrake program or the images of them.

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question Greg. Im awaiting the anwer also. I think it does leave behind the old files associated with the jailbrake program or the images of them.

That's how it worked in the past. Rumor was that apple was lookin go fix that loophole.

Most reactions