What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to convert/upload DVD (non itunes store purchase) to watch on iPad.

Eloise m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to watch certain DVDs on my iPad that are not purchased from iTunes. I've heard of ways to do this by buying software ie Nero to use on my computer then transferring dvd content to itunes to download to ipad. Make sense? Can someone with who has done this exlain the steps?

stevesixty8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake + VLC is what I use, and they're both free. Install VLC (from videolan.org, and I prefer the 1.x.x versions over 2.0, but that's just my preference). Then run over to Handbrake.fr and get Handbrake. Insert your DVD and open Handbrake. It will use the dvdlib of VLC to crack the DVD encryption. Then select the iPad preset. It will convert from the DVD's TS folder into an iPad-compatible m4v (or you can tell it to name it mp4 if you want). All for free. Note: this is a Mac solution. I don't know if either program works exactly that way in Windows.

There are commercially available products that will do this for you, but why spend the $$ if you don't have to?

OP
E

Eloise m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TY Steve. I have windows. I actually have downloaded handbrake but got afraid the process might get over my head quick. Is there a reasonably priced commercially available Software to recommend? Nero has been mentioned to me but what version of Nero is the best to use?

Last edited:

stevesixty8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eloise, I do all my computing on the Mac, so I can't speak from experience about Windows. However, Videora (free) is (or used to be) a pretty popular file converter for Windows. A couple of web sites that you might want to check: afterdawn.com and videohelp.com both contain download links and advice forums that you might find helpful.

Please don't get offended at the following, but I'm going to pretend that you're starting from scratch. So, you'll need either a DVD ripper or VLC installed. If you have a ripper, just rip the DVD contents to your hard drive. Then launch Handbrake. Once Handbrake is open, toggle the preset panel to open and select "ipad". Then select your source folder that contains the ripper TS folder. Handbrake will find every possible file within that folder that it can convert. It assumes the largest file is the one you want and it will be the one that shows up automatically. If you want only the movie (no subtitles, extras, commentary, etc.) you can tell it to start. Really easy.

If you don't have a ripper, but VLC is installed you select your actual DVD as the source and proceed as above.

As for Nero, I've used their Mac software (Titanium and Popcorn) to convert/burn non-VOB files to DVD but have no experience going in the other direction. And I'm fairly confident that their Win7 programs won't look/work like the Mac stuff. The good news is that they have trial versions on their web site so you can audition it. But they're expensive. Me, I'd try the free stuff first.

Good luck.

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Eloise,

In my windows days I used Magic DVD Ripper. Very easy and they give you free upgrades for life

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Handbrake is usable in a Windows environment. My PC is a Windows7 system. You only need VLC if you want to preview the source. I don't have VLC but Windows Media and that combo works fine. Handbrake is very easy to use. You indicated you already have it? Be sure you have the latest version. The latest version gives you a preset iPad. Choose that setting before you start encoding (converting) a DVD.

I've been experimenting with this program. It takes a long time to encode a DVD. For example, I encoded a twelve minute segment of a DVD and it took forty five minutes to encode. The file produced came to 280 mgs. The entire DVD would take almost six hours to encode and would be about 1gig in file size. So if time and storage space is important, I would start encoding a DVD before you shutdown at night and let Handbrake encode it. Then when you get up, it will be ready for you.

To get the movie file onto your iPad is the final step. That requires launching iTunes, plugging in your iPad and syncing the movie. Choose movie only setting iTunes to synch. So far, the segments I've created look pretty good on my iPad.

Storage on the iPad is a concern for me, so I'm exploring alternatives to directly storing these big files on my iPad. But that is another discussion.

Most reactions

Latest posts