Best video player apps for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iPad100, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Killman

Killman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is the only one I have tried so far, but Azul is just amazing. It seems to play EVERY file type I throw at it. Completely recommened. :)
  2. acemenace

acemenace iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh yeah! i have read lots of reviews bout azul player. and most people said that this movie player app for iPad is really great, can view to different types of file and it is very user friendly.. good thing I've scanned iPad App Review, and now I'm enjoying watching HD movies using this cool application.

And also, aside from azul, there are bunch of iPad apps for viewing movies also that were as great as azul. And even better, if you are a good researcher.. :D:D
  3. NickHillUK

NickHillUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just for info, I also use airplayer. If you have a dlna server on you network, it will allow you to stream photos, music and videos straight to your iPad. No conversion needed (supports lots of formats) and no need to copy the file locally either. Streaming even high quality content through wifi so far has produced no issues for me.

I use an aero-lite USB NAS dongle with an old 250gb USB hard disk attached to it to serve the content and it works perfectly. Was about 20 quid on eBay (made by sumvision). If you need to go truly mobile you can always FTP direct to the iPad, or use filebrowser, since the dongle also presents the dlna folders (optionally) as FTP server or samba shares. Oh, it's a bittorrent client as well :eek:

If you want any more info, just pm me.

iWant my iCloud
  4. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Killman, How are you throwing these files at Azul? I can only get the Azul "Homepage" trailers to download. If I go to any other site and try to "Force" the download, I seem to be getting empty files in the Download folder. I must be missing something. :)
  5. Killman

Killman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Atomic Web Browser or dropbox. Atomic is a great duo app with Azul. :) I download the file that I want, then I just open in Azul, it creates a new copy of the file in the app.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  6. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks. I have Atomic (like it a lot, but am using iCabMobile much more these days). Can you give me an example of one of these video files (a location) and how to download it with Atomic. I tried, but wasn't able to get the video into the iPad. I've pressed on the link to the video, the video itself, but I don't see filenames to download.
  7. Killman

Killman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where are you trying to get the file from?

8. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Well, I went to CNBC, then YouTube and couldn't get anything; but, I just want to see how the process works (how to download the file). I tried both Azul and Atomic unsuccessfully.
  9. Killman

Killman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For YouTube, this is what I do. Go to Zimzar.com, copy the address of the YouTube video, paste into the bar on Zimzar, select the file type, put in your Email, then the file will upload. Once it's uploaded, you can do whatever until the conversion is done, which doesn't take long at all. Check your email and you should have an email from them. Click the link to the download page, hit download now. It will take you to a blank page. Copy the address of that page, go to downloads in Atomic, click new download, paste the address and name the video whatever WITH the correct file extension at the end, the file type that you chose earlier, then hit save. Once it is download, hit the arrow, click open in external app and pick Azul. Bingo. I may have made this sound much harder than what it is, it is actually quite simple. This strategy may work with other video sites as well but it works great for YouTube.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. Killman

Killman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here are some shots I took to strengthen my explanation.

Attached Files:

11. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this and about the YouTube videos which is the most important thing I am trying to get at the moment. I will try to go through this today. Your explanation seems very clear so I doubt that I will have problems with it. Digging out this stuff out on ones own can take time, especially for a person like me who hasn't worked with videos much. I'll let you know how it goes and again, I appreciate your help. I am quite impressed with Azul too. :)
  12. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hey Killman,
    I just noticed that iCabMobile (and I'm sure all the others do it as well, including Atomic) downloads the YouTube videos by just pressing on the video itself. hahahaha... Talk about missing the obvious, I must have been pressing on the wrong screen, and I swear it didn't work the other day when I started checking out Azul. ;)

Since I don't usually want to use space for videos I haven't been into it much, I just search them out and watch them. Thanks for your help, I'm sure converting video files will come in very useful. I still haven't been able to go through the routine you showed me though. Today, I think...
  13. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    For those using Azul, some of the videos are coming out upside down in Azul. The developer replied that he has already submitted the new version which will fix this.
  14. Killman

Killman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Really??? o_O I don't think atomic can do that...I must look into that. I may also try out iCab as well now. :)

15. NickHillUK

NickHillUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just lock you orientation and turn you iPad round 180 degrees. No need to thank me.

iWant my iCloud
  16. Killman

Killman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can confirm that it does not work in Atomic. However, I just purchased iCab and you are right! It makes getting videos so much easier. :)

17. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hmmm, I see... that must have been it then. I tried in Atomic to download the YouTube files and when it didn't work, I jumped to the conclusion that it wouldn't work in iCab which I later tested successfully. I should have known better since, in my experience, iCab has always set the pace for them all (things in the browser area are constantly in motion though). In fact, when you said you were using the Atomic + Azul combo that is what I assumed you were doing.

I guess we've both learned a couple of tricks. :)
  18. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks Nick! ;)
  19. scottnsf

scottnsf iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i think i was the first to mention azul in this conversation. it IS an incredible app, and the developers have rekeased at least 2 updates recently, only to make an even more versatie and dependable app.
  20. balamukundhan

balamukundhan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not seeing the movies copied to the ipad by the vlcstreamer in the video listings. Where are they stored in ipad2?