What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Acextreme said:
FlexPlayer has a serious lack in its file management capability, which is totally unacceptable for, I believe, most of us. However, at the price of zero, you can't really demand too much. I have tried most of the players on my iPhone 4, most of them stutters or can't play .mkv with h264 encodes at resolution of 1280x720 fluidly. Of those players that stutters, AVPlayer did the playback much more efficiently (i.e. video was relatively smoother and the lag between audio and video being the least though still unacceptable). GoodPlayer and AcePlayer failed to even play the video, only sound.

Maybe a setting on your phone, I use AVPlayerHD on my iPad 2 with zero stutter or lag and no sync issues what so ever, when playing 1280x720 .mkv files.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe a setting on your phone, I use AVPlayerHD on my iPad 2 with zero stutter or lag and no sync issues what so ever, when playing 1280x720 .mkv files.

You can't compare an iPad 2 to the iPhone 4. The iPad 2 has a faster, 1Ghz dual core cpu compared to the iPhones 800Mhz single core.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
You can't compare an iPad 2 to the iPhone 4. The iPad 2 has a faster, 1Ghz dual core cpu compared to the iPhones 800Mhz single core.

Sorry, thought the new iPhone had the same processor. In that case you'd be correct, apples to oranges.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, thought the new iPhone had the same processor. In that case you'd be correct, apples to oranges.

The iPhone 4s has the same processor as the iPad 2 although the 4s is clocked at a slower speed 800Mhz v 1Ghz so the 4s is a much closer comparison.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
The iPhone 4s has the same processor as the iPad 2 although the 4s is clocked at a slower speed 800Mhz v 1Ghz so the 4s is a much closer comparison.

Yeah the 4S is what I was thinking of, not the 4. :)

mamurao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Buzz HD player and it works well on streaming movies from your network. this was recommended in this forum as well.

yusufjee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FlexPlayer has a serious lack in its file management capability, which is totally unacceptable for, I believe, most of us. However, at the price of zero, you can't really demand too much. I have tried most of the players on my iPhone 4, most of them stutters or can't play .mkv with h264 encodes at resolution of 1280x720 fluidly. Of those players that stutters, AVPlayer did the playback much more efficiently (i.e. video was relatively smoother and the lag between audio and video being the least though still unacceptable). GoodPlayer and AcePlayer failed to even play the video, only sound.
i am totally happy with flex for my need. Unless there is something in the market that has the ability to gain the volume on ipad, i will continue to use flex.

gasparinjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new in IPAD world. In description for Buzz player was written a supported video quality is 720x576 for flv,mkv, wmv, avi asf, divx, xvid, dat, vob, mkv, ... Is this mean the Buzz player cannot play mkv files 720p or 1080p ? Thanks in advance. Sorry for my bad english. Regards from Slovenia.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gasparinjo said:
Hi guys. I'm new in IPAD world. In description for Buzz player was written a supported video quality is 720x576 for flv,mkv, wmv, avi asf, divx, xvid, dat, vob, mkv, ... Is this mean the Buzz player cannot play mkv files 720p or 1080p ? Thanks in advance. Sorry for my bad english. Regards from Slovenia.

Just read it myself and that's how I understand it as well. I do know AVPlayerHD will play the .mkv files at 720p just fine, not trying to change your mind, just giving you another option you might not have known about. :)

dpasta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I have a problem. I want to download movies and subtitles directly from WEB to iPAD.
The only program i know that can "open in..." TXT files is AVPlayer HD, but it doesnt play properly subtitles with { and } inside, and that is most common format in my country.

I've tryed even open txt in office HD, replace every { wity [ and } with ], save to dropbox and than "open in.." AV PLAYER, but it didnt work.

Is there other video program that supports "open in..." option for TXT files? Oplayer, Gplayer cant. I dont want to buy 10 other before i find the ONE... :)
Or is there converter, that allows me to "open in..." txt, convert to SRT for example, save to DROPBOX and then open with avplayer?

Sorry for grammar :D

PreVoiD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chevyguy said:
Just read it myself and that's how I understand it as well. I do know AVPlayerHD will play the .mkv files at 720p just fine, not trying to change your mind, just giving you another option you might not have known about. :)

I'm an expert on this subject - and you sir, are correct. I've spent over 20$ on movie-apps and AVPlayer HD is my favourite by far. No stuttering whatsoever, compared to 99% of the other videoplayer apps I've tried. It's amazing how lousy performance you get when you play a 720p or 1080i/p video on almost every videoplayer-app currently available on the AppStore!! AVPlayerHD can handle these files just fine! You don't have to dive into advanced settings either - the player is setup to be ready to rock as soon as you start it!

Just my 0,02$. You'd better make up your own mind by trying it out for yourself! :)

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also the TV out with AVPlayerHD is full screen, or pretty close, also the screen is adjustable(controls on the AVPlayerHD app) to fit the screen. To save anyone headache, when AVPlayer goes to TV out you will only have audio and no video until you press the little on screen TV button on the lower right. Then you'll have video out and it looks great! This is by far the best player app out there, now if they devs would integrate upnp streaming it would be 100% complete, there are other apps that do this well, but it would sweet to have one app that does it all and does it very well.

nanolake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Falcon Player is next best alternative to VLC which no longer exists on app store

I have a number of mkv, xvid, ogg and avi files and have looked far and wide for a good player to run on my iPad. I have pretty much tried all or the more populars one and find that each of them have their quirks. For example, I have one file that Azul would just crash on while GoodPlayer would play at an extremely low frame rate. I have another file where audio seems to be out of sync with video with one of the other player. VLC player which unfortunately got remove (though I got it before it was removed) was best but no good to me if I cannot get updates. Overall, I found Falcon Player to be the best all rounded player and had successfully play all my files with the highest frame rate I can find which is even more evident when you do Airplay to your TV. The downside was it could not play a AVHCD file at a decent frame rate which is super high resolution I had though from my camcorder. Neither could the other players though.

Most reactions

Latest posts