What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Sat Nav

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tom Tom uses inferior map sourcing called TeleAtlas or TeleNav or something. Navigon (and Garmin) use NAVTEQ the leader is mapping. Navigon is also a German company which alone makes it the best.

I don't have enough experience with any other Nav apps to be sure, but I do enjoy Navigon, and it is not the best, it ain't nowhere near the worst. It is the most costly iOS app I own, but I enjoy using it.

dawsonm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TOMTOM for me, excellent. I did buy an external GPS receiver for the iPad but tend to use the iPhone.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FWIW, Motion-X GPS Drive uses NAVTEQ maps... Because the info is downloaded real time, on demand from the 3G/4G network, you always have the most current maps. There is never any need to download further map updates every year or so. You can also use Google's satellite maps (just like with the map app that comes pre-loaded on the iPad) and drive around looking at your actual surroundings from above.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
FWIW, Motion-X GPS Drive uses NAVTEQ maps... Because the info is downloaded real time, on demand from the 3G/4G network, you always have the most current maps. There is never any need to download further map updates every year or so. You can also use Google's satellite maps (just like with the map app that comes pre-loaded on the iPad) and drive around looking at your actual surroundings from above.

Just because you are always downloading, doesn't mean you are getting new maps. The two are not the same.

dawsonm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:

Not sure that the maps will be updated as often as you expect.

Living in probably one of the most beautiful places on earth ( North Yorkshire - England ), it is often the case that there is no phone signal at all. In these situations, 'on demand maps' are not that much use ....

OP
M

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded motion x and really can't work out how to use it .. How do you get voice nav ? When I select navigate to it draws a line and does not

I have 4g iPad so have gps

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded motion x and really can't work out how to use it .. How do you get voice nav ? When I select navigate to it draws a line and does not

I have 4g iPad so have gps

Don't you have to pay like by the month of that?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't see the option for that ? Any idea where that option is ?

Thanks

I don't own the app, but I thought that's what I read on here. I bought into Navigon and will use it until the end of time...(it costs quite a bit for an app, but worth if).

magpiemini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded GPS Nav 2 by skobber and I think it is not very good, although I love the Wallace and Grommet voice directions, very cute. Guess you get what you pay for.

I have been a GPS navigation system user since the late 90's, used Garmin, Magellan, and almost all the major brands. I have used CoPilot Live on my android devices and liked it, guess I will download CoPilot, at least I know it will work well.

magpiemini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Be careful, there are many versions of CoPilot in the app store, make sure the description says that it is compatible with your version of the iPad. The old 8.2 version is still out there and does not work on the new iPad. Get version 9 or higher. This product is very good and has been around for many years. POI updates are frequent.

Navigon is pretty good, I am just use to CoPilot, old dog and new tricks kind of thing I guess. ;)

alanbyvale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Navfree. It is free and uses open street map which is probably more up to date than any paid software. It works fine offline as the maps are down loaded to the iPad. I have used it through the hills of Wales and it worked without any mistakes. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some software but it works and it is free!

Most reactions

Latest posts