What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best recording interface that accepts guitar and line level signals

Bustrz5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello...new member...new iPad owner. I would like to record music on my iPad using Garageband. I have read as many threads about recording interfaces as I can...but can't make THE decision regarding my interface.

My needs are really around needing a guitar input as well as a stereo line level input for direct recording of an amp (Yamaha THR10). The amp has headphone out as well as USB connectivity. At this point, I believe my only solution is to use the headphone jack from the amp at a line level as the USB port may not be supported on the iPad. Perhaps I might be in the wrong on that...but it's my current understanding.

So...in your opinions...what is the best interface that would provide the connectivity I am seeking with the understanding I would like both a guitar input as well as a stereo line input? A bonus would be a USB input as well.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Regards...Erik

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like to know this as well. I only heard that Apogee stuff are good stuff. But they are also expensive.

Also I saw on Youtube people using a powered usb hub to circumvent limitation on the ipad usb device compatibility.
But with different ios versions and different ipads, who knows what combination works?

Ideally a quality Analog to Digital converter through the USB or digital connection would be nice, and I think Apogee does that.
But I've not tried that.

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

For myself, I've just ordered a Behringer UCG102. It is mono, I believe, but I've seen and read that it's plug n play into the iPad/Garageband via the camera adaptor. I watched a video tutorial this evening that showed someone using a relatively cheap interface, M-Box, I think it was, although he had to use a USB power thingy to get enough juice to work with the iPad. I've just tried to find the video again, but can't.

There is also IK Multimedia's iRig, though I've read that is noisy. They also have a Stealthplug thingy, which is more expensive. A European online store is bundling it with Amplitube Jimi Hendrix and Metal.

Bottom line is, if you want all of the options that you've listed, you're going to need a dedicated USB audio interface with a Hi-Z setting/jack and a power supply.

I'll be happy if the Behringer works and doesn't have any significant latency.

Dr. Robert

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

For myself, I've just ordered a Behringer UCG102. It is mono, I believe, but I've seen and read that it's plug n play into the iPad/Garageband via the camera adaptor. I watched a video tutorial this evening that showed someone using a relatively cheap interface, M-Box, I think it was, although he had to use a USB power thingy to get enough juice to work with the iPad. I've just tried to find the video again, but can't.

There is also IK Multimedia's iRig, though I've read that is noisy. They also have a Stealthplug thingy, which is more expensive. A European online store is bundling it with Amplitube Jimi Hendrix and Metal.

Bottom line is, if you want all of the options that you've listed, you're going to need a dedicated USB audio interface with a Hi-Z setting/jack and a power supply.

I'll be happy if the Behringer works and doesn't have any significant latency.

Dr. Robert

Any update on the Behringer? does it work well with GB, any latency or noise issues?

ro187cky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had these same questions a month ago. I went with the following equipment to input my acoustic-electric guitar and Casio CDP100 Piano.

- Apogee Jam Guitar Input (I felt the price was worth it to avoid recording through the head phone jack as this can often times decrease the recording quality and produce a buzz)
- Midi to USB cable (Input for Piano)
- Rosewill Powered USB Hub (Needed to power any input requiring a USB because the IPad has limited resources to power USB accessories). You don't need this for a guitar input but I use it for input my piano and USB Mic.
- IPad Camera Connection Kit (Needed to plug in the USB to the IPad input)

akwpro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I am wondering what is the best USB interface for iPad 1

Most reactions

Latest posts