1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Best photo organizer App?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Tyra, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Tyra

Tyra iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For some reason, my IPhoto App doesn't allow me to delete some unwanted photos. I don't know why. What is the best photo file organizer App?
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    Only photos in the Saved Pictures, Import, or Camera Roll folders can be deleted. All other albums are synced with a folder on the computer. To remove pictures, go to those folders and remove them, then sync again.

If these are your normal photo archives, I recommend making a folder just for the photos you wan to sync with the iPad. Then create subfolders for each album you want. Copy all the pictures you want into each folder.

Now, with the iPad connected to the computer, go to iTunes and select your iPad under the Devices list. Go to the Photos page using the link at the top. Under the photo sync options choose the folder you wan to sync, and sync.

All changes to the albums must happen on the computer.

There are third party photo organizers, but I'm not familiar enough with them to recommend one.

Note: If you are using a Mac, disregard the previous. You probably sync your photos with iPhoto. Setup your albums there. You can select what albums to sync in iTunes, the same place where the folders get set up.
  3. Marine 47

Marine 47 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TwerpPoet, when I go into iTunes and go to devices I cannot see Photos. I wanted to transfer some photos from my iAm to my iPad and had to email them one at a time to myself. Now they are in camera roll but are not visible, only a blank square. I can click on them and they are visible, but not in camera roll.
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    In the left column, you will see the lists of libraries, playlists, etc. If you have your iPad plugged in, and only then, you'll see it listed under the header of Devices. Select your iPad. Now you will probably be on the Summary page. At the top are several links to other pages. One of those is Photos. This is where you set up how photos sync between the compute and iPad.

I'm not sure why you are not getting thumbnails in the camera roll. What format are the pictures you transferred?

What's an iAm?
  5. Marine 47

Marine 47 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My fingers get going to quickly, it is an iMac
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    Ah, I should have guessed. :) Of course that 'never' happens to me. ;)

Did you get things sorted out, or do you still need help?
  7. mobi1

mobi1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you have imported photos/albums from iTunes (in your computer) you can't remove them in iPad!

Only photos you have imported in Photo via other apps (like Dropbox etc.) can be deleted in the device.

You may prefer to organize photos entirely within 3rd party apps like Dropbox, GoAruna etc. They offer to store files locally and then you can arrange them under folders etc.
  8. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Photo Manage Pro is a paid app which gives you some more control over your albums.
    That said the basic photo app is fairly primitive and in need of a rewrite.
    We can only hope this comes in the next iOS update.
  9. andykeating

andykeating iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Try Sort Shots, In this users can easily sort and organize their photos using different keywords such as the name of the picture, the category where it’s located or favourites. Users can also add an event or the name of a place to further narrow the search. It also allows users choose multiple photos at once for easy categorization.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lgrier1

lgrier1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Photo syncing problem

Please help. I'm trying to add/remove photos from my ipad. Synced thru itunes and after it went thru all it's backup stuff, I get a message that says my ipad can't be synced, a file is missing. It removed all my photos but the album names are still there. Don't know where to begin to fix the problem. :confused:
  11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    Try turning the photo syncing off, then sync.

When it is done turn on the photo syncing again, but choose the individual album option. Then sync each album individually. That way if it does not work you can isolate any album that is causing the problem. But it will probably all sync.

There is another possible solutions to this that is probably easier to try. There is a photo catch that sometimes gets out of whack and causes syncing problems Deleting this catch can sometimes fix missing file errors. Here is the relevant Apple support page.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Thanks to beach1ady for pointing this out in another thread.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  12. slivitmi

slivitmi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for this reply; i tried all combinations including "turning off the cache" - nothing works.

In all cases Ii get the same message and only one picture is synched.In the case of only one folder no matter the folder content only one picture is synched.

If I try 2 folders in succession (manually or not) , the folders are over-written and I get one or 2 pictures, depending if I decide to keep or delete the existing picture in the iPAD in the Itunes menu.

Very weird ...
  13. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +321 / 0
    Great post, haven't seen this. Twerp poet you've done it for me again.
  14. jhammer

jhammer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just picked up an I pad 2 and I'm having all of the problems listed above. Have there been any updates to theses problems?

How can I take pictures from my iPad and put them on my pc?
  15. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    When your iPad is connected to a Windows computer it will show up as a USB drive. Open up the drive and go to the DCIM folder. You'll find all your camera roll pictures there. Copy/drag them to the computer. I do not recommend deleting them this way. It is safer to delete your camera roll pictures directly on the iPad.
  16. britpoper

britpoper iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This kind of limitation is one of the thing I hate from using Apple Devices and iTunes.
    What's the point of having mobile device if you need to connect and sync them over and over again to a laptop/pc only to remove unwanted things from it.
  17. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    You don't. You only need to use iTunes to remove photo albums if you used it to add them.

Otherwise use a different solution to add and view photos. There are several, many with better album features than the Photos app.

There are features that are difficult to get without iTunes, yes, but you do not have to use it. There is almost always a third party app that will let you do what you want, if not always as conveniently.
  18. jhammer

jhammer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for responding. There are only four pictures that show up in the DCIM folder yet ther are a couple hundred on my iPad?

How do I get them onto the computer?
  19. jhammer

jhammer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The photo stream on my iPad does not match the photo stream folder on my computer...even after syncing...
  20. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    If they are not in the DCIM folder, or a subfolder within, then they've been synced via iTunes. Normally that means they are already on your computer.

If not, I usually use PhotoSync (no hyphen). This and the companion software for the computer will transfer photo between devices and computers. There are other methods, but I'm not familiar with them.

Hold in mind that photos synced via iTunes are usually of lesser quality than the originals that were on the computer. Retrieving photos from albums in the Photos app is a poor second choice from finding the originals.

Unless you're looking at the Photo Stream. That's a different kettle of fish. I know they can be synced via iCloud to a Windows computer (Vista or newer), but I don't know the details of how. I have a Mac. Otherwise you can save each one you care about to the camera roll in Photos on the iPad, then use the DCIM folder to copy them to the computer.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012