What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best photo organizer App?

Tyra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason, my IPhoto App doesn't allow me to delete some unwanted photos. I don't know why. What is the best photo file organizer App?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Only photos in the Saved Pictures, Import, or Camera Roll folders can be deleted. All other albums are synced with a folder on the computer. To remove pictures, go to those folders and remove them, then sync again.

If these are your normal photo archives, I recommend making a folder just for the photos you wan to sync with the iPad. Then create subfolders for each album you want. Copy all the pictures you want into each folder.

Now, with the iPad connected to the computer, go to iTunes and select your iPad under the Devices list. Go to the Photos page using the link at the top. Under the photo sync options choose the folder you wan to sync, and sync.

All changes to the albums must happen on the computer.

There are third party photo organizers, but I'm not familiar enough with them to recommend one.

Note: If you are using a Mac, disregard the previous. You probably sync your photos with iPhoto. Setup your albums there. You can select what albums to sync in iTunes, the same place where the folders get set up.

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Only photos in the Saved Pictures, Import, or Camera Roll folders can be deleted. All other albums are synced with a folder on the computer. To remove pictures, go to those folders and remove them, then sync again.

If these are your normal photo archives, I recommend making a folder just for the photos you wan to sync with the iPad. Then create subfolders for each album you want. Copy all the pictures you want into each folder.

Now, with the iPad connected to the computer, go to iTunes and select your iPad under the Devices list. Go to the Photos page using the link at the top. Under the photo sync options choose the folder you wan to sync, and sync.

All changes to the albums must happen on the computer.

There are third party photo organizers, but I'm not familiar enough with them to recommend one.

Note: If you are using a Mac, disregard the previous. You probably sync your photos with iPhoto. Setup your albums there. You can select what albums to sync in iTunes, the same place where the folders get set up.

TwerpPoet, when I go into iTunes and go to devices I cannot see Photos. I wanted to transfer some photos from my iAm to my iPad and had to email them one at a time to myself. Now they are in camera roll but are not visible, only a blank square. I can click on them and they are visible, but not in camera roll.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the left column, you will see the lists of libraries, playlists, etc. If you have your iPad plugged in, and only then, you'll see it listed under the header of Devices. Select your iPad. Now you will probably be on the Summary page. At the top are several links to other pages. One of those is Photos. This is where you set up how photos sync between the compute and iPad.

I'm not sure why you are not getting thumbnails in the camera roll. What format are the pictures you transferred?

What's an iAm?

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
In the left column, you will see the lists of libraries, playlists, etc. If you have your iPad plugged in, and only then, you'll see it listed under the header of Devices. Select your iPad. Now you will probably be on the Summary page. At the top are several links to other pages. One of those is Photos. This is where you set up how photos sync between the compute and iPad.

I'm not sure why you are not getting thumbnails in the camera roll. What format are the pictures you transferred?

What's an iAm?

My fingers get going to quickly, it is an iMac

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have imported photos/albums from iTunes (in your computer) you can't remove them in iPad!

Only photos you have imported in Photo via other apps (like Dropbox etc.) can be deleted in the device.

You may prefer to organize photos entirely within 3rd party apps like Dropbox, GoAruna etc. They offer to store files locally and then you can arrange them under folders etc.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photo Manage Pro is a paid app which gives you some more control over your albums.
That said the basic photo app is fairly primitive and in need of a rewrite.
We can only hope this comes in the next iOS update.

andykeating

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.isol.co.in
Try Sort Shots, In this users can easily sort and organize their photos using different keywords such as the name of the picture, the category where it’s located or favourites. Users can also add an event or the name of a place to further narrow the search. It also allows users choose multiple photos at once for easy categorization.

Last edited:

lgrier1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo syncing problem

Please help. I'm trying to add/remove photos from my ipad. Synced thru itunes and after it went thru all it's backup stuff, I get a message that says my ipad can't be synced, a file is missing. It removed all my photos but the album names are still there. Don't know where to begin to fix the problem. :confused:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try turning the photo syncing off, then sync.

When it is done turn on the photo syncing again, but choose the individual album option. Then sync each album individually. That way if it does not work you can isolate any album that is causing the problem. But it will probably all sync.

There is another possible solutions to this that is probably easier to try. There is a photo catch that sometimes gets out of whack and causes syncing problems Deleting this catch can sometimes fix missing file errors. Here is the relevant Apple support page.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Thanks to beach1ady for pointing this out in another thread.

Last edited:

slivitmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this reply; i tried all combinations including "turning off the cache" - nothing works.

In all cases Ii get the same message and only one picture is synched.In the case of only one folder no matter the folder content only one picture is synched.

If I try 2 folders in succession (manually or not) , the folders are over-written and I get one or 2 pictures, depending if I decide to keep or delete the existing picture in the iPAD in the Itunes menu.

Very weird ...

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Try turning the photo syncing off, then sync.

When it is done turn on the photo syncing again, but choose the individual album option. Then sync each album individually. That way if it does not work you can isolate any album that is causing the problem. But it will probably all sync.

There is another possible solutions to this that is probably easier to try. There is a photo catch that sometimes gets out of whack and causes syncing problems Deleting this catch can sometimes fix missing file errors. Here is the relevant Apple support page.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Thanks to beach1ady for pointing this out in another thread.

Great post, haven't seen this. Twerp poet you've done it for me again.

jhammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just picked up an I pad 2 and I'm having all of the problems listed above. Have there been any updates to theses problems?

How can I take pictures from my iPad and put them on my pc?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When your iPad is connected to a Windows computer it will show up as a USB drive. Open up the drive and go to the DCIM folder. You'll find all your camera roll pictures there. Copy/drag them to the computer. I do not recommend deleting them this way. It is safer to delete your camera roll pictures directly on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts