What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best photo editing program??? Thoughts?

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Snap seed and photogene get my votes in equal measure for different reasons. Chucking out quick edits from Raw files but keeping some semblance of copyright in the exif is handy from photogene but the effects in snap seed are great, and it's made by the people who do the nik PS plug ins I have on the laptop.

To be honest I don't do a great deal of editing on the iPad, I am however enjoying photo smith now v2 has come out but that's not for editing and I digress!

NeedSnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for Photogene. Can work with RAW files. It does everything I need while I am in the field.

OP
Krysta

Krysta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, well it looks like Photogene will be my next up :)

I'm so glad this thread is going somewhere!

Sent from my iPad 3

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Been discussed quite a bit on here by some serious photographers. Pick of the bunch for me in no particular order are:

Filterstorm. Allows some true pixel level editing, and apply filters and the like by brush. Also has layers and good export options.
Photogene. Possibly the best alrounder, allows some pixel level editing, and a great mixture of filters, borders and adjustments.
iPhoto. More powerful than it's interface would have you imagine and has some of the best organising features. UI could use some tweaking but for a first release it is excellent.
Snapseed. Probably my most used editing app, doesn't allow for true pixel level editing and lacks many finer adjustments but what's on offer works really well and allows you to get creative very quickly. One of the easiest Interfaces to use and output is fantastic.
Photoforge. Similar to Photogene but with more of an emphasis on filters, the interface isn't quite as intuitive but this is a very powerful editor.

Personally I think Snapseed is the most fun and would always recommend it. I get drawn to Filterstorm or Photogene for true editing work though.

Out of curiosity, which apps did you use in your gallery?

OP
Krysta

Krysta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the list! I'm loving learning about all the options there are out there :). In regards to my gallery, the one I am actually now using as my profile pic, I had done in PhotoForge. The others were done in one of the first free apps that I found, Pho.to Lab. That one is mostly for just some fun ways to add effects, create collages, ect. I am wondering about what kind of output that that one will produce, as I think it's a cool idea for photo gifts :)

Sent from my iPad 3

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Snapseed is currently free. Grab it while you can as it is a must own.

OP
Krysta

Krysta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Thanks Donka for letting me know! I just installed it! I didn't even think to check on it to see if it was free...I figured there would be some kind of charge given all the hype from you guys :). Guess I know what I'll be doing today :)

Sent from my iPad 3

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is normally a paid app but it went free last night for a short time. Enjoy.... the grunge and vintage filters are awesome once you start checking out the various styles - most of the control is done by tap and slide on the image, just ensure you follow the inbuilt guides to get the most from this one. :)

OP
Krysta

Krysta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm playing with it now. It seems there are pretty minimal choices in regards to effects...is this because it's the free version? Are there more options in the paid version? Don't get me wrong, what I've seen so far is pretty cool. I'm playing around with another portrait I have and with the effects I've used so far has just made it really blurry compared to the original image. Any tips or suggestions? I'm going to post a few in my profile if you're interested in taking a look?

Sent from my iPad 3

OP
Krysta

Krysta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think that maybe this program is best used for scenery shots as opposed to people?

Sent from my iPad 3

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you think that maybe this program is best used for scenery shots as opposed to people?

Sent from my iPad 3

I woud say it is fine for portraits as well depending on the kind of output you are looking for. What makes you say that?

OP
Krysta

Krysta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually asked that a bit prematurely I think. I couldn't seem to get the portrait I was using clear when trying out some of the effects. But now that I'm working with it more, I'm seeing a difference :) I must remember patience when I'm trying out new programs :)

Sent from my iPad 3

Most reactions

Latest posts