Best PDF editor

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by nabilalk, Jun 20, 2010.

1. nabilalk

nabilalk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm starting medical school in the fall and would like to be able to use the iPad in place of a Tablet PC to view and edit large 500+ page PDF documents. I need to be able to highlight, annotate with text boxes, and free draw figures on the PDFs. I also need to be able to save and export them for viewing on a PC or Mac.

If any iPad users on here have experience with some apps that will work for this purpose, please let me know. I am drawn to the iPad for the battery life and simplicity. Other than PDF editing, all I need is internet access and I'm set.

Thanks all.

2. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Funny that you ask. Very shortly, the default iBooks app can do those things. Just be a little patient.

3. nabilalk

nabilalk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I saw the keynote, and Jobs said that the new iBooks with OS4 can read PDFs. Yes you can highlight with iBooks, but the process is painful at present. It didnt look from his demo that this annoyance of having to pick a text selection with two fingers, shorten it or extend it to the desired text and then click highlight will change. I want to use a stylus and be able to draw or highlight on the tablet directly, without having to stop and use the pinch method that iBooks uses now. I guess we will see how iBooks changes on June 24th when OS4 is debuted.

4. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I don't know any app that can do that...yet. But I would buy it too!

5. sch

sch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Right now, I have iAnnotate PDF which, although I admit I've yet to use as such, does purport itself to be a PDF editor. It has pretty good reviews.

Cheers,

6. nabilalk

nabilalk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Actually, there are a few. Problem is, in some of the reviews, the size of the PDF and the export issue seems to be present with all the available options.

7. nabilalk

nabilalk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried iAnnotate with a larger PDF of 100+ pages? Also, how does iAnnotate export the PDFs?

According to iAnnotate's FAQ, the program should be able to handle large PDFs

#7 nabilalk, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  8. sch

sch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I just pulled in a 9MB, 265-page engineering book I wrote (lots of diagrams and tables as well as text) and it processed it for a few moments and was then ready. The annotation is well done and easy to use.

Cheers,

9. nabilalk

nabilalk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Excellent! Thank you for your report. I have been reading that the only way to currently export is over Wifi or an ad-hoc Wifi network between your iPad and your PC or Mac. I would prefer not to have to use iTunes to import, and at present it doesn't even look like that is available. What method do you use to export PDfs that you have annotated/edited in iAnnotate?

Also, the developer claims to have easy-to-use and fast indexing for search purposes. Are you able to search your engineering textbook after the processing, or does it have to take extra time to index?

10. sch

sch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    OK, import, I'm just using iTunes. For sharing, you can email the PDF with or without annotation.

Searching is easy and fast and doesn't appear to need to create a separate index... maybe it does this when it inhales the PDF.

It's a very thorough program with quite a bit below the surface. For example, you can customize the UI toolbars etc. Quite well done.

Ciao,