What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

Justin Brock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Shansahuprophecy,
Thanks for the feedback and I am glad everything worked out and you are loving the app. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions here or on our twitter feed @gingerlabs. Thanks for your support and we will take a look at moving exported files into other applications.

Justin Brock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notability I know allows for different fonts, size, bold, italics, bullets and numbering with indentation.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know of a note taking app that will let you "import" a picture, or text and pictures from the internet, like a copy and paste operation?

Noterizer will do that. However, preliminary investigations have revealed that it's a bit fiddly...I might need to investigate more.
Notability will allow you to do this function.

@Justin - I did not know that you were associated professionally with Noteability and thought your comments were as a "user". Regardless, due to other comments as well, bought Noteability and I think I am going to like it.

I do like that the dev has someone here regularly that is wanting to support the app. That always scores high in my book.

I am finding that one needs a stable of Note taking apps to be able to do everything that really needs to be done, but thankfully, there seems to be pretty good interchangeability with the files between the apps.

gordonk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, it depends :) In my "work life", I'm constantly in meetings. I've found Outliner to really handy there and Quick Agenda when I'm needing to do some extra planning going into the meeting. It also depends on whether I'm in an office/teleconference situation or a conference room environment. If it's conference room, that usually means shared desktop, and notes may or may not be taken on my iPad, but more on my work notebook. The iPad is there as a reference point. Hate to say this, but, the standard keyboard stll wins - too inconvenient having two keyboards.

PaperDesk for most other things away from work.

Justin Brock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@pluto6 I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I did not mean to mislead anyone and am solely trying to provide answers to questions that come up. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments regarding Notability. Thank you for you time and again I am sorry for the miscommunication on my behalf.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am NOT in any way affiliated with the folks that wrote Notability. I must have tried over 25 note-taking apps and I've found Notability to be the best, especially if you mainly take typed-in notes (there are better apps that are geared more towards handwritten notes). Notability will let you do handwritten notes, but that is not it's strength (in my opinion). I love the outline capabilities of Notability. I also like all of the different fonts and font sizes.

Not to mention audio recording, drawing, importing web pages, etc... definitely the best I've seen!

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@pluto6 I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I did not mean to mislead anyone and am solely trying to provide answers to questions that come up. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments regarding Notability. Thank you for you time and again I am sorry for the miscommunication on my behalf.

Hey Justin - no problems. I'm honestly not sure how you handle things - maybe a line in your sig to let people know? I guess I came across strongly, I was just pointing out what my impression was. I'm glad you are here, and I think your app is very high quality.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note to those who want free writing (this is not supported yet <snip>

By "free writing", do you mean "Handwriting"? I am looking for a great handwriting app. I have downloaded 3 so far and am still looking for one that works even half-way as well as the tablet computer handwriting function.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found that the simplist solution for me to use my stylus as a lefty (yes, I drag my hand across the screen, which can cause much consternation) is to simply place my screen cleaning pad underneath my hand as I write. This allows me to write clearly, my hand sitting on the screen does not affect what I am writing, and I can clean the screen all at the same time!!!

What could be better?

Brilliant. I am going to try this tip!

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried UPAD? There is a free "UPAD lite" app where you can check it out before buying. IMHO, the inking in UPAD rivals Penultimate, and you can markup/highlight PDFs and images as well. The biggest downfall to me is that other than being able to add a new page anywhere within a notebook, you can't organize pages within a notebook and/or copy pages to another notebook.

I've been using it for business for about a week now. It has replaced my paper notepad, and is great for marking up PDF contracts.

I am not affiliated with the developers/sellers in any way, just an enthusiastic user. If anyone else has tried UPAD (or UPAD Lite) and knows of an app with comparable handwriting quality and functionality with better page organization, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any info or feedback.

Last edited:

MuchoiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The updated Notes Plus!

This app has everything you are looking for and has become my go to app note taking app. Now much user you have a compacitive styles and you are good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just downloaded Springpad Springpad: a free app that helps you remember which is an app plus an online suite .. It's free & it has some cool capabilities so far - It's similar to Evernote but with a far superior UI & includes audio recording, a brainstorming board plus other stuff.

- I have also seen an app called Notebooks for iPad which sounds great as well tho' I haven't downloaded it yet - one feature in particular caught my eye - you can create links within the app to other notes/notebooks and have them open in apps that support the 'open in' function.
:eek::eek:

Springpad: a free app that helps you remember

Notebooks for iPhone

Last edited:

asexymind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Switching from SoundNote to Notability

I have been using Soundnote for months, and loved it. However, it is a bit limited. This thread turned me on to Notability. I bought it and have been fooling with it.

Notability is superior in almost every respect I tested. It is now my central app for recording conversations and taking notes that sync with the conversation. Brilliant app. Thanks ginger labs!

More:
- the outline feature is awesome!
- easy to change text colors and size/font
- the "insert figure" option is fantastic - easy, intuitive, and allows me to draw full screen without the end result being full screen. Love it!
- the ability to organize documents is incredibly helpful.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts