Best note taking app for iPad

Discussion in 'Productivity Apps Forum' started by mach5k, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Sting67

Sting67
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've been looking for a note taking app for sometime now. I've hesitated with most because of their lack of features for handwriting and dealing with varied file formats. I'm happy to say that my search has now stopped: Notability is by far the best and most functional that is currently available. It's currently at the cheapest sale price. Thus far I'm really happy with it and use it every day.

2. jamby

jamby
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have the idea in my head that I have to be able to type or handwrite notes in the same app. Is that realistic and if so which app would allow me to do it? Maybe I just want to add typewritten notes to a page I've written up. I am pretty basic. Write some notes, maybe draw basic symbols, use a little color. I guess it is possible I would paste or reference a photo on a page. Any advice?

3. zipur

zipur
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Every app will allow typing and handwriting at a basic level. It's the finer points that hang people up for example.
    Import/export features,
    Annotate PDF documents
    Import web pages or snippets, for example in real estate to draw flower placement
    Free hand drawing
    Shapes
    Hand writing
    Autocorrect
    File & folder organization
    Recording

Now when it comes to quality hand writing that is where things get sticky. Most people really care about the
    Ink choices. This allow a more interesting note. It also is critical for iPad Art/drawing. For example try Paper by fifty three it's free to try. Great ink limited features.
    All these apps use a handwriting box which you can free hand cursive write a note. This takes some time to get use to but it works, same with typing, a box will pop up and you can type away all you want.
    But can you type anywhere? Can you type over imported pictures. Then lastly how Fast is the app, can it keep up with your finger or stylus, this is key to the accuracy and an enjoyable writing experience,

As you can see there is a lot to consider before you pluck down your $2.99 (avg). Then in two months the other apps have updated feature and options and your back here looking for the greatest.

All this typing just to say as a complete package Notability is what is on my iPad. For you I suggest you try some of the free ones to see if it's really is that important to...

4. fab.

fab.
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I think, also, it's important what's the way you take note (that's your style): I like arrows associated with typed taxt, someone may prefer freehand etc.
    So, I'd like to see on the appstore an app like CmapTools.
    Moreover I think capacitive screens have limits that old resistive scresns haven't.
    Pen and (real) paper are difficult to win... but the digital way presents many advantages, you know.

5. reza15

reza15
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It's a wireless keyboard, but it's also a case to protect your iPad 2 and the new iPad (iPad 3 / iPad 2s) when you close it.

6. ntc3freak

ntc3freak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I am new here :)

I'll be getting the new iPad in the summer when my current semester is over. I would like to use my iPad as my notebook in the next semester. I'm sick and tired of carrying lumps of heavy papers to and from lectures. So I'm looking for a note taking app that achieves the following :

- good handwriting capability ( I will only write by hand and not type)
    - good choice of colors and ink and pen types, etc.
    - ability to insert a pdf file in the current note I'm taking, even when the note already has handwritten notes
    - ability to annotate pdf and scribble on it
    - good choice of general shapes so I don't have to free draw them (lines, circles, rectangles, arrow, double arrows, etc.)
    - the ability to record audio while I'm writing notes would be great as well
    - good organization. I will be having one notebook for each subject, and for each notebook I would like to separate them according to Chapters and Exercises
    - automatic sync and backup with Dropbox
    - ability to cut and paste parts of a PDF file (does this feature even exist?)
    - smooth handwriting experience and little to no lag
    - normal functions like palm rest and zoom window
    - optimized for left-handed usage (is there a difference?)
    - ability to easily copy paste parts of my notes to another

I think that should be about it. Is there such an app? Thank you guys :D

7. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty much what the rest of us are looking for. :) welcome aboard.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

8. codespotmobile

codespotmobile
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    There are many app for this aim

9. designsters

designsters
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Did you try evernote?

10. Hivoltage

Hivoltage
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I just want a note taking app that I can either use the keyboard or write with my finger. Easy and simple, don't need any fancy stuff. Whats the best for that?