What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

pdw8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm after an notepad app that can do either import from the per-bundled Notes app or import somehow from my Blackberry Torch phone. I've tried numerous apps but am getting nowhere. I hate the Notes app as it cannot sort or list in anyway.

Thanks, Paul

gpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need advice on a basic question. Can I organize notes in the native "Notes" app alphabetically or only by date stamp?

aeisan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Notability for a few weeks. I also just grabbed UPad Lite a couple days to see how I liked that one. As of yesterday, I've been researching (mostly via this thread and YouTube vids) Note Taker HD.

So far, I love Notability. I wanted something that could take both handwritten and typed notes (well, really I just didn't know which I'd prefer, but have come to find uses for each given the right situation) and either organize them all well or export to Evernote for organizing. Noteabilty works well for these things, except on the export to Evernote front. Based on my review and use of other apps, I just typed up this wish list and sent it into Notabilty's idea email address...

- Ability to export notes as an image (JPEG). This would be huge for me.
- Ability to rotate photos and figures.
- Ability to orient page in landscape (not view on iPad, but rather the printed page format).
- Ability to reorganize and/or insert pages within a note/document. Too often I've found myself wanting to insert something and there is no room.
- Ability to move around handwritten ink after it's been written (Note Taker HD does this and I love it). Selecting and cut/copy/paste of ink would be cool too.

Some of these things UPad does, but I really tend to like Notabilty much more than UPad overall. Some Note Taker HD seems to do, but I'm a little weary of paying $5 just to try it out. Maybe I will if any of you really think it's worth it?

There is supposed to be a big update to Notability mid January. I can't wait to see what it entails.

lynz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I put my pics off my pc onto my ipad2?

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure they're in a folder in a location you know of and then connect your iPad. When iTunes comes up click the icon for your iPad and then find the photos tab at the top of the sync page. Make sure the 'sync photos' box is ticked then apply the setting using the 'apply' box in the bottom right of the sync window.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. You can also do it from a camera using the apple camera connection kit which means you can skip the pc but it can be a bit cumbersome.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

ChezDigital

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simplenote! Excellent web interface, and I love the iOS app. I've been using flicknote on my Android phone to sync with it, but it's nice to finally use their app on my iPad 2.

Papparaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I,too, found PhatPad to be somewhat clumsy. As far as handwriting recognition apps, the best I've found is 7Notes Premium HD. Excellent recognition and predictive capabilities all in real time (rather than after entering a block of text.)

It was quite informative to go thru this thread. Is there any note taking application which has integrated task lists, calander etc inbuilt for task management ? I came across one such application Notebook for around $8 but it doesn't support free handwriting features.

Ultimately, all the notes that we take will result into tasks which we need to complete by due date, hence, any note taking application having these features will be great.

I've been using 7Notes Premium HD for a week but frustrated that I can't make tasks/to do's with due dates and/or reminders. Am I missing something? The handrwriting conversion to text is mostly good but can be time consuming when it doesn't see my chicken scratch the way I do. I bought an iPad thinking it was going to replace my paper notebook but so far I'm not seeing the benefits. I have "looked" at over 50 apps. I can type faster than I write but typing notes in a meeting with my boss is a non-starter so handwriting is a must. Interesting side note that my search for apps I came across some "evidence" suggesting handwriting helps you remember it better versus typing. In my 50+ app search, if it did not state they could handle handwriting in the features, I assumed were not able to do what I need. Like Anoopkumar, note taking by hand with task capability is what most people need for meetings. Not ALL notes turn into tasks because some are just informational or for record-keeping purposes. For example, what was agreed or decided. I have found that Protaskinote (99 cents) is the closest to what I am looking for. Unfortunately, it doesn't convert handwriting to text and it has some other limitations such as how much you can write within each task. I thought there would be many apps with combined capabilities of handwriting integration with personal organization apps like PocketInformant. I think PocketInformant is considering integration with a handwriting app but they are still focused on their next product version to get it optimized for the latest ios. Conversion of handwriting to text, sharing of my notes and marking up notes are now secondary concerns for me. I just want something that is more productive than my paper notebook (the worst part is going through pages of notes to look for something that was said in a meeting or any action items I may have forgotten) but have yet to find it. Protaskinote is what I seem to be settling on for now but its disappointing there doesn't seem to be any well-designed app(s) for meeting notes with handwriting. Since time is valuable, I'm happy to pay $10, $50 or whatever, if there is an app that will just replace my paper notebook.

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gpd said:
I need advice on a basic question. Can I organize notes in the native "Notes" app alphabetically or only by date stamp?

If you have the iPad why not try it?! Not to be a jerk but I'm just suggesting that haha.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 32GB WiFi using iPF

PreVoiD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it comes to the note taking apps, I'm afraid that I've tried them all. Really. All of them. So I know everything when it comes to note-taking apps, lol. In my case, I preferred the app called "Notes Plus". It was a wonderful app during version 2.X of it - but it has been updated to version 3.0 as of a week or two back.

app has EVERYTHING you'll ever need. Trust me! Making shapes (lines, circles, triangles etc) is a breeze since it automatically figures out that you want to make a line, or circle - and transforms your "so-so" painted line or circle into a proper good looking computer-made form instead. It's simply much easier especially during math courses, since you'll end up with perfect diagrams and figures every single time!

So, I suggest you guys go and check it out! It's dirt cheap on the App Store! And oh, did I forget to mention the fact that you can purchase an add-on within the app to get access to "handwritten to computerwritten text" aswell?

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, they finally shipped 3.0! Good to hear your recommendation, I'm downloading it again as I thought the handwriting engine wasn't up to rendering speed before. It even has the MyScript engine now for recognition (with an IAP).

I see NoteShelf got big updates too for you other stylus note lovers.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it comes to the note taking apps, I'm afraid that I've tried them all. Really. All of them. So I know everything when it comes to note-taking apps, lol. In my case, I preferred the app called "Notes Plus". It was a wonderful app during version 2.X of it - but it has been updated to version 3.0 as of a week or two back.

app has EVERYTHING you'll ever need. Trust me! Making shapes (lines, circles, triangles etc) is a breeze since it automatically figures out that you want to make a line, or circle - and transforms your "so-so" painted line or circle into a proper good looking computer-made form instead. It's simply much easier especially during math courses, since you'll end up with perfect diagrams and figures every single time!

So, I suggest you guys go and check it out! It's dirt cheap on the App Store! And oh, did I forget to mention the fact that you can purchase an add-on within the app to get access to "handwritten to computerwritten text" aswell?

I'm sure that buried somewhere back in these 50 pages I mentioned that Notes Plus and Note Taker HD are the best apps I've found. 7Notes Premium HD doesn't have some of their excellent features of each but does have the best handwriting recognition/translation features. Now that Notes Plus offers the recognition/translation option along with voice recording it's probably at the top of the heap. A couple of caveats though.

() As far as I can tell (and I haven't downloaded the handwriting recognition module so I cannot be sure) the add-in for Notes Plus requires that you enter text, select a block of text, and then "translate" it. This is the same weakness found in WritePad and PhatPad compared to the real-time translation provided in 7Notes Premium.

() And a more general caution that I'm sure has been mentioned already. None of these apps can be used without investing in a LOT of practice. The great advantage of a pen and paper is that you don't have to think about how to use those tools. But when you first started printing your letters in elementary school you weren't immediately proficient. The same is true with apps such as Notes Plus. The promise of replacing a pen and paper can be redeemed only if you're willing to put a LOT of effort into learning how to use these tools without thinking. Otherwise, you're in for a lot of frustration.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good point. Also I agree, translating the text afterward is both less accurate and slower to improve the recognition engine as you aren't making immediate corrections all the time.

Most reactions

Latest posts