Best note taking app for iPad

Discussion in 'Productivity Apps Forum' started by mach5k, Apr 19, 2010.

1. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 0
    Have you downloaded Evernote to your computer? As far as I know web clipping is only done there. In the app when on the Home page, up the top will be a list of sections, press more, you will be presented with Places and Searches, press Places which will take you to a map with a red pin, press pin and here is everything about Evernote. Hope this helps you!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

2. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    On Circus Ponies: Yep, yep. It isn't the thirty bucks I object to, but the fact that there is so little information given (either in the app store or on their web site) to make it a good gamble for me. Maybe they are relying on their established Mac customer base.

Which brings up a related issue: I scan a number of different app review journals on-line each day, but they are almost 100 percent concerned with games and pedestrian "remind me" apps. Only rarely do I see a review of a real work tool.

3. vgorena

vgorena iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi... I read your analisys of the apps... I didn't read all the post, but, could you please analize this other 2 apps and let me know what you think?

1. Paperport Notes of Nuance...
    2. MyNotebook!

:)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

4. d3mha

d3mha iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use notability it's a great app

5. Luvntravln

Luvntravln iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Who is using Noteshelf; what do you think?

6. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    The "trial" period approach requires a lot of administration when it goes through a third party vendor (e.g. Apple). Though I may be wrong, I believe the 24 hour "trial" that existed in the Android Marketplace has now been revised. In any event, it's obvious that Apple doesn't like "trial" apps. From their perspective (and from the perspective of the developer as well), I think a simpler, no questions asked return approach would be easier to administer. The current Apple model enables a purchaser to return an app for store credit. I think that would be a reasonable compromise if the process were simplified for "expensive" apps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. guthrien

guthrien iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I use the actual Evernote app as a review library or for writing small notes. The cross platform availability and powerful search are the primary motivators for me using it. It's simply beautiful for viewing an established library, though the iPhone app allows for easier photo or voice notes than does the iPad. My main interaction with putting things "in" the system is through other apps that sync with Evernote or more importantly Web Clipping. Now unfortunately due to the close nature of iDevices it's not as easy to clip web content. If you are a power user or need to do extensive clipping, it would be worth investing 10 minutes doing a web search for "bookmarklets" which are JavaScript bookmarks you create in Safari that allow auto complete options such as clipping pieces of websites for Evernote or many other programs.

8. willpower

willpower iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I started using noteshelf and liked it. I shall continue to use it for longer notes. However I have since tried notability and like it better. I find the interface and usability better.

9. jollywa

jollywa iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess your "wants" would depend upon what you use it for. I have Penultimate and, while it does many of the things I want to do, it falls short on the key ones - conversion of handwriting to text and the ability to edit on the fly, opening up a section so that you can insert comments, add charts and tables, etc. It has a feature to block hen scratches made by your hand as it rests on the screen and it sucks. It may be the angle at which I hold my stylus, but I get tons of random squiggles every time I write with it. And you have to write so large with those horrible styluses for iPad. I have several and, while some are better than others, nothing even comes close to calibre of handwriting I can do on my Tablet PC. And when I print it out, the printout is horrible. The letters are huge on the paper. I kept a log of my mileage and hours spent on a 4-month project. I printed it out, thinking that I would use the printout as support for my expenses. I was so embarrassed by the quality of the print out that I ended up typing the entire thing alll over again and printing out the re-worked log. I just downloaded an update to it and a few of the things I complain about may have been corrected in the update. That is, if their sales verbiage is to be believed. We shall see. The app that I want is one that will do everything that my Tablet PC notetaking software will do.

10. persephone

persephone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This thread is packed with valuable information. Thanks everyone!

I've got a blog with more details about what I use and how I use it (christophermayo), but to keep it short: I'd recommend Evernote for typewritten notes and Note Taker HD for handwritten ones (possibly 7 notes HD Prem if you are wanting conversion of English to text).

There are many factors to consider with typewritten notes, so I think what you choose ultimately depends on how you use the app. If you have a specific use case in mind, please post it here and we can give advice. I think general questions like "how is XX app?" are just too vague to be answered very well.

For handwriting, one thing I can say is that I would strongly recommend you do NOT use Penultimate. I bought that on the recommendations it got all over the place and was horrified by how my notes looked. I spent a really long time trying to like it. The user interface is great, but it looks like a kid drew with a blurry crayon when I export it to PDF. I hate the notes I took with it. The zoom feature on apps like Note Taker HD is so important for getting the handwriting to work well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  11. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    What's the brand/model of your Tablet PC?

12. aoporto

aoporto iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been interested in a handwritten notes app and will look at your recommendations.

Do you use a stylus when writing handwritten notes? I'm concerned that using anything other than my physical digits will cause screen problems eventually.

For typed notes I'm a big fan of Evernote, it always works like a charm.

13. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I don't think you have to worry about damaging the screen with a stylus. There have been some scattered reports of scratches caused by the Jot stylus with its hard plastic point but I'm skeptical. (I suspect the reports may well have come from a competitor who has engaged in some rather odd forms of viral marketing for his product.) Otherwise, I've seen no reports of damage caused by any stylus.

14. Anoopkumar

Anoopkumar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was quite informative to go thru this thread. Is there any note taking application which has integrated task lists, calander etc inbuilt for task management ? I came across one such application Notebook for around $8 but it doesn't support free handwriting features.

Ultimately, all the notes that we take will result into tasks which we need to complete by due date, hence, any note taking application having these features will be great.

15. guthrien

guthrien iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I tried a new app today that has a cool feature I haven't seen before. FastFinga3 has all sorts of options, but if you use handwriting, it can export to Evernote to use their OCR to convert to text and bring it back to the app. Pretty wild, if not super accurate yet. Ink apps just keep getting more sophisticated and common. I tried Inknotes HD which is very nice too.