What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On Circus Ponies: Yep, yep. It isn't the thirty bucks I object to, but the fact that there is so little information given (either in the app store or on their web site) to make it a good gamble for me. Maybe they are relying on their established Mac customer base.

Which brings up a related issue: I scan a number of different app review journals on-line each day, but they are almost 100 percent concerned with games and pedestrian "remind me" apps. Only rarely do I see a review of a real work tool.

vgorena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
rdelpiere said:
WOW! After reading through 44 pages, I am slightly less confused over which is the best note taking application. First of all, a huge thank you to all of the previous comment authors.

Reading through this massive thread did provide some significant insight. As a few people put it, not every app is best for every user. You have to know how you planning using the application (school, work, business meetings, sales calls, personal stuff, etc.) Once I realized I did not have my usage requirements identified (kicking myself), I knew I did not know what I wanted or needed. The amount of apps out there can be overwhelming, and a lot of time and money can be wasted (see first line).

I am an IT Consultant and get involved in a lot of meetings for various projects and stuff. My impression of my needs was that I was looking for something like the old Franklin Planners or DayPlanners where I could maintain meeting schedules, and tie the meeting notes to the meeting, and somehow cross reference that into a client and/or project folder. Looking for this is like looking for the holy grail. One person put it that many app developers write for a particular task and that is it, after 44 pages I believe that person now. I may need to crack out my developer skills again and develop my own.... or just use two apps.

Anyway, there were several that made the short list of possible note taking apps...SmartNotes, Circus Ponies Notebook, Notability, Note Taker, Notes Plus, Evernote, Groovy Notes, and Meeting Pad. Circus Ponies was eliminated fast due to cost and not really meeting ultimate desires. Evernote was eliminated due to monthly/annual subscription cost; funny how some were complaining about high cost of Circus Ponies but were using EverNotes. Moving on... Note Taker and Notes Plus both looked OK, as well as Notability. SmartNotes and Notability were two that had the voice recording feature and note to audio linking. I decided to go with Notability for now as it is on sale this week for $.99. If it doesn't work, I will be back looking at others.

Ron

Hi... I read your analisys of the apps... I didn't read all the post, but, could you please analize this other 2 apps and let me know what you think?

1. Paperport Notes of Nuance...
2. MyNotebook!

:)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with jsh1120 when it comes to paying for something that really does the job well. I wonder if the developers couldn't work a deal with iTunes to permit a short trial period. Even 7 days would be enough for me to test drive an app and decide if I like it or not.

The "trial" period approach requires a lot of administration when it goes through a third party vendor (e.g. Apple). Though I may be wrong, I believe the 24 hour "trial" that existed in the Android Marketplace has now been revised. In any event, it's obvious that Apple doesn't like "trial" apps. From their perspective (and from the perspective of the developer as well), I think a simpler, no questions asked return approach would be easier to administer. The current Apple model enables a purchaser to return an app for store credit. I think that would be a reasonable compromise if the process were simplified for "expensive" apps.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the actual Evernote app as a review library or for writing small notes. The cross platform availability and powerful search are the primary motivators for me using it. It's simply beautiful for viewing an established library, though the iPhone app allows for easier photo or voice notes than does the iPad. My main interaction with putting things "in" the system is through other apps that sync with Evernote or more importantly Web Clipping. Now unfortunately due to the close nature of iDevices it's not as easy to clip web content. If you are a power user or need to do extensive clipping, it would be worth investing 10 minutes doing a web search for "bookmarklets" which are JavaScript bookmarks you create in Safari that allow auto complete options such as clipping pieces of websites for Evernote or many other programs.

willpower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started using noteshelf and liked it. I shall continue to use it for longer notes. However I have since tried notability and like it better. I find the interface and usability better.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought penultimate for $3 ... And it is really good for input (I use a stylus) ... It supports PDF generation and you could email it or push to ever note.

It does hit all your wants but for $3 it's the best handwritten one I have used.

I guess your "wants" would depend upon what you use it for. I have Penultimate and, while it does many of the things I want to do, it falls short on the key ones - conversion of handwriting to text and the ability to edit on the fly, opening up a section so that you can insert comments, add charts and tables, etc. It has a feature to block hen scratches made by your hand as it rests on the screen and it sucks. It may be the angle at which I hold my stylus, but I get tons of random squiggles every time I write with it. And you have to write so large with those horrible styluses for iPad. I have several and, while some are better than others, nothing even comes close to calibre of handwriting I can do on my Tablet PC. And when I print it out, the printout is horrible. The letters are huge on the paper. I kept a log of my mileage and hours spent on a 4-month project. I printed it out, thinking that I would use the printout as support for my expenses. I was so embarrassed by the quality of the print out that I ended up typing the entire thing alll over again and printing out the re-worked log. I just downloaded an update to it and a few of the things I complain about may have been corrected in the update. That is, if their sales verbiage is to be believed. We shall see. The app that I want is one that will do everything that my Tablet PC notetaking software will do.

persephone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is packed with valuable information. Thanks everyone!

I've got a blog with more details about what I use and how I use it (christophermayo), but to keep it short: I'd recommend Evernote for typewritten notes and Note Taker HD for handwritten ones (possibly 7 notes HD Prem if you are wanting conversion of English to text).

There are many factors to consider with typewritten notes, so I think what you choose ultimately depends on how you use the app. If you have a specific use case in mind, please post it here and we can give advice. I think general questions like "how is XX app?" are just too vague to be answered very well.

For handwriting, one thing I can say is that I would strongly recommend you do NOT use Penultimate. I bought that on the recommendations it got all over the place and was horrified by how my notes looked. I spent a really long time trying to like it. The user interface is great, but it looks like a kid drew with a blurry crayon when I export it to PDF. I hate the notes I took with it. The zoom feature on apps like Note Taker HD is so important for getting the handwriting to work well.

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. No external links.

Last edited by a moderator:

aoporto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.infogenium.com
I've been interested in a handwritten notes app and will look at your recommendations.

Do you use a stylus when writing handwritten notes? I'm concerned that using anything other than my physical digits will cause screen problems eventually.

For typed notes I'm a big fan of Evernote, it always works like a charm.

I've got a blog with more details about what I use and how I use it, but to keep it short: I'd recommend Evernote for typewritten notes and Note Taker HD for handwritten ones (possibly 7 notes HD Prem if you are wanting conversion of English to text).

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been interested in a handwritten notes app and will look at your recommendations.

Do you use a stylus when writing handwritten notes? I'm concerned that using anything other than my physical digits will cause screen problems eventually.

For typed notes I'm a big fan of Evernote, it always works like a charm.

I don't think you have to worry about damaging the screen with a stylus. There have been some scattered reports of scratches caused by the Jot stylus with its hard plastic point but I'm skeptical. (I suspect the reports may well have come from a competitor who has engaged in some rather odd forms of viral marketing for his product.) Otherwise, I've seen no reports of damage caused by any stylus.

Anoopkumar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was quite informative to go thru this thread. Is there any note taking application which has integrated task lists, calander etc inbuilt for task management ? I came across one such application Notebook for around $8 but it doesn't support free handwriting features.

Ultimately, all the notes that we take will result into tasks which we need to complete by due date, hence, any note taking application having these features will be great.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a new app today that has a cool feature I haven't seen before. FastFinga3 has all sorts of options, but if you use handwriting, it can export to Evernote to use their OCR to convert to text and bring it back to the app. Pretty wild, if not super accurate yet. Ink apps just keep getting more sophisticated and common. I tried Inknotes HD which is very nice too.

persephone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using the stylus for a while and have had no problems. You may need to adjust your writing angle a little (I did) because the manufacturers make the stylus barrel out of metal instead of plastic (stupid, but probably a reaction against cheap feeling styluses from earlier pdas). In addition, a lot of styluses come with metal clips and other crap that can't possibly be good for your screen. I haven't had any bad experiences, but I am also not terribly thrilled with the designs, and I wonder if other makers like iFaraday have done a better job. I am too cheap to invest any more money in styluses to find out. I already have three!

As for Evernote, I am pretty upset about the horrible bugs introduced into the app for iOS ever since they embarked on their rich text initiative back in August. For many users, typing on the app lags, it garbles the text, and within iOS you cannot copy and paste out of the app very well (it strips line breaks). I think they will eventually get it back in shape, but right now it is a daily struggle for me on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts