What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best note taking app for ipad 2

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
several times per year I have to be the minutes taker for groups that im envolved in. i need a really good app. to type and take notes on. would i need the wireless keyboard for this? im a quick typist but not sure if typing on the ipad 2 will be ok for me.

Reaction score
Notes Plus is the way to go, if you want to make handwritten, as well as typed noted.

There are many note taking apps out there, but none let drawing, free-hand writing and typing go so well together as Notes Plus.

I have tried various apps: Penultimate, Notability, Evernote, TypeLink, Notetaker HD

But they all are focused on either handwritten or typed notes and not both.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes Plus is the way to go, if you want to make handwritten, as well as typed noted.

There are many note taking apps out there, but none let drawing, free-hand writing and typing go so well together as Notes Plus.

I have tried various apps: Penultimate, Notability, Evernote, TypeLink, Notetaker HD

But they all are focused on either handwritten or typed notes and not both.

Notes plus and penultimate is the way to go. Great apps!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for NotesPlus - for both handwriting (a very clever interface that allows you to write with your finger in a very large size but reduces it to a manageable size as you go - recommend you visit the app in the App Store and then go to the Developer's web site and watch the videos). Plus you can draw diagrams (it tidies them up if it recognises common shapes) and type too or mix type and handwriting - or type and hand drawings - or, more or less, anything. The developer is really responsive too and often responds to users' comments on his web site and - shock, horror - actually listens to what the users have to say and incorporates those suggestions in the next release!!

As for a keyboard, absolutely, if you're going to type quickly and you're a touch-typist you need an external keyboard. I'd recommend a folding Bluetooth keyboard - there are several around - but make sure you get one with mechanical keys for the tactile feedback, several have membrane keys that I think you'd find difficult to touch type on.

Apple have a keyboard dock for the iPad but (a) it can't fold, (b) it really needs a firm table to work on and (c) you need to take the iPad out of its case for it to fit into the dock.

Tim
Scotland

frank jonhson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i need a really good app. to type and take notes on. would i need the wireless keyboard for this? im a quick typist but not sure if typing on the ipad 2 will be ok for me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i need a really good app. to type and take notes on. would i need the wireless keyboard for this? im a quick typist but not sure if typing on the ipad 2 will be ok for me.

I think it depends if you’re a touch typist, whonuses all their fingers. If you do you probably depend on tactile feedback, which you don’t get from the screen. If you’re a ‘two-fingered’ typist who needs to ‘look’ at the keyboard, then the virtual on-screen keyboard is probably OK.

Regarding the Apple keyboard dock and whether you need to remove the case in order to fit the iPad, perhaps the results are different with different cases. I find that the thickness of the Apple case obstructs inserting the iPad into the ‘slot’ that is designed to hold the iPad firmly in the dock.

Tim
Scotland

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd recommend starting out with the Notes app that is built-in to iOS and determining what other functionality (if any) you would like - as well as if you can effectively use the on-screen keyboard.

While Notes Plus and Note Taker apps mentioned have a ton of functionality, they are, at their core, handwriting apps. This means that when you want to type, you have to select and insert a text box over the page (think text boxes in Excel). Notability is a more advanced typing-first application, which may be worth a try, although for ease of use, I still use the built-in Notes program for typing and uPad for handwriting.

I'd also recommend you go to the app store and filter for the "Productivity" category. You will see a number of typing apps as you go through the top 40 or 50 listed.

Finally, this thread may be helpful. While it focuses on both handwriting and typing apps, it was helpful for me.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/2037-best-note-taking-app-ipad.html

OP
F

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I think it depends if you’re a touch typist, whonuses all their fingers. If you do you probably depend on tactile feedback, which you don’t get from the screen. If you’re a ‘two-fingered’ typist who needs to ‘look’ at the keyboard, then the virtual on-screen keyboard is probably OK.

Regarding the Apple keyboard dock and whether you need to remove the case in order to fit the iPad, perhaps the results are different with different cases. I find that the thickness of the Apple case obstructs inserting the iPad into the ‘slot’ that is designed to hold the iPad firmly in the dock.

Tim
Scotland

Wow thx for the info. I'll check everything out that you mentioned.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd recommend starting out with the Notes app that is built-in to iOS and determining what other functionality (if any) you would like - as well as if you can effectively use the on-screen keyboard.

While Notes Plus and Note Taker apps mentioned have a ton of functionality, they are, at their core, handwriting apps. This means that when you want to type, you have to select and insert a text box over the page (think text boxes in Excel). Notability is a more advanced typing-first application, which may be worth a try, although for ease of use, I still use the built-in Notes program for typing and uPad for handwriting.

I'd also recommend you go to the app store and filter for the "Productivity" category. You will see a number of typing apps as you go through the top 40 or 50 listed.

Finally, this thread may be helpful. While it focuses on both handwriting and typing apps, it was helpful for me.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/2037-best-note-taking-app-ipad.html

Some really good points made in this post! Absolutely, use the iPad’s native ‘Notes’ app first and see how you get on with the on-screen keyboard. I agree, too, that NotesPlus is primarily a handwriting app and, as the poster quite rightly says, you have to switch back-and-forth between handwriting and typing mode. I will think before I type next time! Thanks ajstan99!

Tim
Scotland

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are looking for a note-taking app primarily for typed-in notes (instead of handwritten notes), look no further than Notability. It offers the most features and the best interface. However, it is geared primarily towards typed-in notes. Sure, you can use a stylus to handwrite notes with it, but that is not it's primary goal.

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some really good points made in this post! Absolutely, use the iPad’s native ‘Notes’ app first and see how you get on with the on-screen keyboard. I agree, too, that NotesPlus is primarily a handwriting app and, as the poster quite rightly says, you have to switch back-and-forth between handwriting and typing mode. I will think before I type next time! Thanks ajstan99!

Tim
Scotland
Thanks for the kind words, Tim. I would think that many of us have been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of taking notes on an iPad, and have found an app or two upon which we rely.

A stylus and a good handwriting app have certainly changed the way I work for the better. Prior to that, typing notes on an iPad vs. a PC was definitely an improvement.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd just add nip into an apple store if you can and try the apple keyboard. I love it but my wife, who can touch type, is not so keen. Also I'd avoid the keyboard dock. I prefer a bigger gap between pad and keyboard.

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take notes in at least one meeting virtually every work day, so I've tried a variety of note taking apps. In the end I found it easiest to just use the native notes app to type in, then I mail those notes to Evernote because of its tagging, filing, and search capabilities (and because I like having all my reference stuff in one place). I am not a touch typist so I use the onscreen keyboard and find it very quick and easy to type with. There are even bullets available if you hold your finger on the dash so it's easy to make lists and such.

OP
F

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx

I take notes in at least one meeting virtually every work day, so I've tried a variety of note taking apps. In the end I found it easiest to just use the native notes app to type in, then I mail those notes to Evernote because of its tagging, filing, and search capabilities (and because I like having all my reference stuff in one place). I am not a touch typist so I use the onscreen keyboard and find it very quick and easy to type with. There are even bullets available if you hold your finger on the dash so it's easy to make lists and such.

Thx again ir the advice I'll attempt to use the built in notes first. I'll have an app back up plan if that does not work fir me

Most reactions

Latest posts