What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best music reader is.... ?

davma1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[h=2]I'm doing a bit of gigging. I would like to start using my iPad instead of hauling all of my music and fakebooks. I have not delved into a music reader for iPad until now. I'm a little confused about the pluses and minuses. "ForScore" looks great, but I'm intrigued by "iGig Book". And of course there are more out there. Reading all the reviews and seeing how much has not been dealt with is troubling. What is the consensus? [/h]

Love to hear what you experienced people think about: Deep Dish Gig Book, Unreal Book, ForScore, IGig Book and any others that you may recommend. Thanks a lot.

d

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
davma1 said:
[h=2]I'm doing a bit of gigging. I would like to start using my iPad instead of hauling all of my music and fakebooks. I have not delved into a music reader for iPad until now. I'm a little confused about the pluses and minuses. "ForScore" looks great, but I'm intrigued by "iGig Book". And of course there are more out there. Reading all the reviews and seeing how much has not been dealt with is troubling. What is the consensus? [/h]
Love to hear what you experienced people think about: Deep Dish Gig Book, Unreal Book, ForScore, IGig Book and any others that you may recommend. Thanks a lot.

d

Hello davma1, I am surprised that no one had replied to you. So I'm replying now.

I use ForScore, Music Reader, and Gigbook in this order. I am a member of three choral groups and also sing on stage chorus, back stage or as an extra. I have also done back up singing for a couple of trade shows, etc. I use ForScore for practice, rehearsal, and use in concert or worship. It is the easiest program to install my pdf files and it helps me learn the music. It comes with a pitch pipe, a keyboard, metronome. You can annotate music scores on the iPad and send/share your annotated music scores to others in your group or chorus. It costs US$4.99. MusicReader4 is very similar to ForScore, I got the free app when I bought the PC music reader program. It is very similar to ForScore. I use Gigbook to create playlists and when I'm doing gigs with a band. The iPad is perfect for performances where you need access to lyrics and chord charts. (Think weddings) Because the iPad screen is back lit, you can see your music during those times when the lights are down low.

I hope you get other comments. I think the iPad is a fantastic tool for musicians.

Please remember the copyrights for any material you use for your iPad. You should own all of the music to use for your iPad. Thank you.

Last edited:

BassPlaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score

d

If you have fakebooks and realbooks, iGigBook is what you want, it's the only app out of all mentioned that lets you find 1 song no matter what book it may be in. It also has the ability to transpose chord charts, I couldn't see myself gigging without it.

Most reactions