What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best iPhone / iPad file management apps

nickbridgett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What have you found to be useful for file management - and for saving off web PDFs to appropriate directories directly from e.g. Safari?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to: Acessories, Help, Apple News, Hacking, Gaming, Business/Education, Special Needs and Health.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.

Finally, please read the rules!
Forum rules - everybody please read!!

pitersen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to know about this topic more details. I already read the forum rules.

apanek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh... My biggest gripe about iOS is there is no shared file management built into the OS. This creates a whole lot of issues to allow you to do simple things like save / download a file from safari web browser and share the file between applications.

I am in IT and do a lot of hiring. I review 100s of resumes from candidates per year. The iPad is a great tool for me to review resumes, make notes electronically on the resume during pre-screening and during the actual face to face interviews. It also allows me to quickly query for previous resumes when I am meeting w/ recruiters to ensure that I have not already spoken to a candidate previously.

Here are the apps and process I use to do what would be a simple to do on a desktop OS.

1) Office 2 HD - edit word, excel, power point and read PDF and a file management solution to move, delete, rename files

2) Box.net - 5gb free cloud store - allows you to forward an email attachment and drop the file into the folder

3) Dropbox - 5gb free store - nice windows desktop plug-in to map a drive to dropbox, but does not allow sending email attachments

Office 2 HD has a slew of supported Cloud services it can connect to and has a simple to use file management solution. You can rename/delete a file, create or delete a sub directory and very quick move files between folders locally or on cloud attached storage. Also, you can move files between configured Cloud providers or move files between Cloud and local storage within Office 2 HD. I find myself using Office 2 HD just to move files around due to most apps do not have the basic file manage features. It also allows you to directly open then save a PDF, doc, xls, ppt from the Safari web browser. So I am able to download links to resumes from Safari.

Box.net - I only use so I can forward resumes attachments from my work email using Good email app to get them into Office HD. I prefer Dropbox, but Dropbox does not provide the feature to email to a folder. Box.net does not have a Windows explorer plug-in for Windows desktop.

Dropbox - I like the Windows desktop/explorer plug-in, so I store my files I need access to from my iPad and my desktop in Dropbox. If I send an email attachment to Box.net, I immediately move the file using Office HD to Dropbox. Dropbox iPad app has no functionality to move or rename files.

side note: Quick Office has similar file management features, but for my needs, Office HD had much better editing features for my needs such as add/delete rows to a table in Word doc.

I hope this helps you and would be interested in hearing from others how they are managing and editing office docs on the iPad.

Most reactions