What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best iPad case

Morticia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But aren't those better for ipad 1's? Don't appear to have spot for back camera opening...

kschles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well of course I could not use the camera function without removing it from the case. However as far as what's really important to me and that's protection of my investment it works really well.

To have to remove the device from the case to use the camera would be an instant design fail, and I suspect I won't be the only one who'd feel that way. I'm an Oberon customer as well, and if they are indeed as reputable and quality-oriented as their past products have proven, I would expect nothing less from them than a fully-functional compendium which will fit the iPad 2 to perfection and not compromise on the rear camera port.

I've been on the Oberon Facebook page, where a number of folks inquired about when they can expect an Ipad 2 case. The Oberon responses seem to indicate they are not in a particular hurry, since they are working on other things. One Oberon response even said they have not decided if they will offer an Ipad 2 case. Maybe the Ipad 1 case was not that popular.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kschles said:
I've been on the Oberon Facebook page, where a number of folks inquired about when they can expect an Ipad 2 case. The Oberon responses seem to indicate they are not in a particular hurry, since they are working on other things. One Oberon response even said they have not decided if they will offer an Ipad 2 case. Maybe the Ipad 1 case was not that popular.

I really love my case and all the reviews for the case that I have read are all wonderful. However they are pricey at 140.00 with shipping. If they decide to make one I would probably purchase again. But for now my iPad1 case is working out great for me. I guess my needs are simple. LOL... I basically use it for transporting my iPad in my purse and workbag. Without it my iPad would be in bad shape in less than a month

Kevin1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.[/QUOTE]

I've been on the Oberon Facebook page, where a number of folks inquired about when they can expect an Ipad 2 case. The Oberon responses seem to indicate they are not in a particular hurry, since they are working on other things. One Oberon response even said they have not decided if they will offer an Ipad 2 case. Maybe the Ipad 1 case was not that popular.[/QUOTE]

I have several Oberon products including an iPad1 cover. I'm just guessing that one of the issues around them offering an iPad2 cover may be the camera area on the iPad2.

I really hope they do offer a cover in the future. Their products are expensive, but I really do like the colors and design of their products and I like the protection it provides for my iPad, Kindle, etc.

If you haven't seen their products, you can check it out at oberondesign.com

Last edited:

kschles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kevin

I agree with you about Oberon products. I have a kindle cover, and recently got a wallet and some credit card cases. I was wondering about their Ipad cases, since this will be my first Ipad (if it ever gets here!!!!). I was worried that the Oberon cover might add too much bulk and weight to the Ipad.

GoingOcean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ya'll -

Just thought I'd take a minute to show you the case I bought for my boss - he loves it and it's not all feminine looking:

iPad Shoulder Bag

I'm getting one for myself this week - I had thought I might find one in leather as I really like that look for my accessories, but no one makes one like it in leather (boo!).

The best thing about it is that you don't take the iPad out - you can use it right in the case - plus, me being a big ole gal and needing a long drop on the strap, the customer service rep said that they'd actually make me a longer strap! Luckily, the strap is already 48 inches at it's longest, so that'll work without having to put them out making me a longer one. :) The bags are all handmade, so they can take care of details like that, which I love. :)

I also wish that they had an affiliate program, because when this bag gets some ad time, they're going to sell a bazillion of them - maybe if all of you that decide you're going to get one tell them that Kat McLaughlin sent you, they'll give me one...lol!

The bag is pricey, ($69), but worth it, in my opinion - anything that protects my iPad, is worth it. :)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't know about the popularity, but I would have thought that the issue was more of the effort and investment for Oberon to tool up and create a whole new set of plates for a specific iPad 2 case.

If the iPad 2 didn't have the rear camera and given that both generations are almost the same size in terms of width and height, the same template for iPad 1 could have been used for iPad 2 (with straightforward adjustments to the corner straps to account for thickness of either device.)

However, the placement of the rear camera could mean that the template for iPad 1 cannot be reused for iPad 2, and thus all the designs will have to be templated from scratch to include the camera portal. As you have seen, many Oberon designs are fully wraparound, so it's not just a case of "punching a hole" but also ensuring that the portal doesn't destroy the design while at the same time aligns correctly with the device's lens.

I'm just conjecturing here based on what I know of Oberon's design and production methods, but if it had been that easy to adapt existing templates, I'm sure they would have already announced their iPad 2 cases.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you about Oberon products. I was wondering about their Ipad cases, since this will be my first Ipad (if it ever gets here!!!!). I was worried that the Oberon cover might add too much bulk and weight to the Ipad.

I think you can't get away from the weight issue if you get a leather compendium like Oberon's products: this is double-layered genuine hide, which itself is a major portion of giving device protection.

An Oberon case for iPad weighs about 400g. Add to that the 600g weight of the iPad, the entire outfit comes in at an even 1 kg, give or take. Oberon cases are known for their eyecatching designs and the tactile pleasure of their intricate leather toolworking, not for their weight-saving.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last spring I started with the Apple case because that's all that was available on launch day. Then I went through the corporate elite phase and bought the Sena Leather folio case which was gorgeous. But it might as well been any other day runner or business portfolio. It covered almost everything but the display. Here I had one of the sexiest looking devices of the times, and it could have been any old Dell tablet in the case. (yes, I'm shallow.)

Then I bought the Marware hybrid case because it actually showed the entire face of the iPad, and was a little more edgy and less corporate boring.

Now I've been using iPad 2 for over a week with only the black leather Smart Cover. The elegant, thin design of the new iPad is just too gorgeous to bury in bulky cases. So Im getting the Marware MicroShell that is thin, black, and protects just the back and the corners without adding bulk. I'll keep one of several Smart Covers on top, depending on my mood that day.

Morticia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Tarkio, let us know how the Marware microshell works out! I also have a smart cover and love it!

concu88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd also recommend colcasac ipad sleeves. They fit perfectly with or without smart cover.

Most reactions

Latest posts