What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best ipad browser

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCab - universal, powerful, does tabs, downloads, etc. Atomic also good, but ICab is a superior browser. I wish it was not so expensive for the Mac.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Yeah, i just got icab also. Its great! Postimg from it now ;-)

Dosent have auto spelling I see...I kid I kid Haha

:-/ lmao. Sometimes i be typing so fast on this ipad..plus i got big fingers n i always do that. When i think im pressing"n" it presses "m". Same thing with space bar. I think im hitting the space bar n im actually hitting the "m"
Icab has become my new fav though.

Stetch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Opera to iPad is on its way.
I like iCab Mobile best not because its the fastest browser, but because it has so many options. Feels more like a real browser.

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got the Atomic Browser yesterday and for 99¢ you can not beat the price.
The browser is very easy to use,and importing my bookmarks from my PC was simple.
Best part of the browser for me are tabs, Safari was OK but this one is so much better for me to use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was a Perfect user until finding icab. It's as much better than Perfect than Perfect is better than Safari to me. Very easy to use and does more than Perfect does.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the browsers on the iPad kind of anger me, but all in separate ways. I just did a massive test of browsers and Android over at XDA including 13 different browsers, and a lot of them added some amazingly cool features, which iPad browsers kinda do too, but the biggest thing were the performance differences. I was going to do the same thing with iOS, ie testing all of the browsers I could, until I realized that they are all just skinned versions of Safari with slightly different features added.

For example, Opera Mobile Web Browser and Firefox for Android were AMAZINGLY fast browsers which blew the stock browser out of the water on many tests. All of the iPad browsers use the Safari rendering engine except for Opera Mini I believe, and Opera Mini is total junk.

Cywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I'd give my 2 cents...

Safari - pretty good as I never used it before getting the iPad. But very basic. Limits to 9 tabs/windows. I don't like like the way it automatically switches to the new tab. I usually open several tabs to load in the background for reading later. This way i don't have to wait for each page to finish loading. I can continue to read thru the 1st page. Very useful when googling stuff... But with safari, i keep having to switch manually back to the original tab. And if your avail ram goes down, every page in the background gets cleared. So when u return to them, they are blank and have to be reloaded... Arrgh! And downloads don't work well all the time. Sometimes tapping the download link does nothing.

Opera Mini - probably the fastest browser as "the data is compressed up to 90%" (according to the site). But google pages and some others don't display normally. Somehow changing the MOBILE settings on or off has little effect.

Skyfire - have not used this much. But has integrated social networking add-ons, so may be perfect for pple who do a lot of facebook etc.

Atomic - my "default" browser (of choice). A lot of tweaks and settings available. Closest to desktop firefox imho. I like the way it allows me to customize how new tabs are opened. BUT... Quite a memory hogger. Opening 3-4 tabs will give me the yellow low memory warning @ the bottom. Opening more tabs, my free ram will go down to 8-10mb. I started @ about 120mb with no other apps opened. Browsing the same site with as many opened tabs using opera, my free ram was still about 30-40mb.

Icab - gonna try this next from the recommendations here...

When I googled "best ipad browser" (which led me to this thread btw), I came accross a site which lists their best 6 browsers, none of which were listed in this thread, and most I've never heard of: terra, luna, duo (this one I tried, but didn't like & promptly deleted)... And others I forgot. Think all of them are free. So no harm in trying them out

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently I still use safari most of the time because it's the default. It gets me by when I just want to do simple browsing and such. But when I want to do other stuff, iCab mobile is what I use.

On another note, I have a jailbroken iPad2 and I also installed Safari Upload Enabler via cydia. A cool tweak for safari users.

fcag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to iPad. Just got one this week. Major annoyance right now is no vertical scroll bar in text boxes, like right now typing this post. Are the any browsers that have the scroll bar capability?

My other problem is with sites like craigslist when posting. They have the option to upload images. Are there any browsers that make the "upload" image feature work?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
fcag said:
I'm new to iPad. Just got one this week. Major annoyance right now is no vertical scroll bar in text boxes, like right now typing this post. Are the any browsers that have the scroll bar capability?

My other problem is with sites like craigslist when posting. They have the option to upload images. Are there any browsers that make the "upload" image feature work?

1st Q is If you hold on the text box till you see magnifying glass and then pull your finger down it will scroll.
2nd Q ~ craigslist app in the app store allows you to upload photo's direclty from ipad/iPhone.
As far as other sites.....some may have corresponding ios apps that will do this. Icab has an upload feature but the file must be in the documents folder of the icab app itself. And only works with some sites. However if jailbroken then safari upload enabler is definately the way to go.

fcag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fcag said:

1st Q is If you hold on the text box till you see magnifying glass and then pull your finger down it will scroll.
2nd Q ~ craigslist app in the app store allows you to upload photo's direclty from ipad/iPhone.
As far as other sites.....some may have corresponding ios apps that will do this. Icab has an upload feature but the file must be in the documents folder of the icab app itself. And only works with some sites. However if jailbroken then safari upload enabler is definately the way to go.

Ahhhh, that's how you make it scroll.

I'll have to try out that craigslist app.

Thanks!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also make a text box scroll with two fingers. Place both fingers in the text box and gesture down / up to make it scroll. Sometimes this is a little easier than the magnifying glass method...

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no best of course, it's all subjective. Limiting oneself to one browser is neither necessary nor wise, and may not even be possible at the moment under a non-jailbroken iOS unless one sticks strictly with Safari. iCabMobile still remains at the top of my list though.

Good Luck and please let us know what conclusions you reach.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts