What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best iPad 2 case with keyboard

brucezhang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have just ordered the iPad 2 and I'm searching for the best case with a keyboard...anyone have any experience with cases & keyboards?:)

hi,how about this? T155216 from Chinazrh
Technical Specifications

• Main Function: iPad 2 Leather Case + Silicone Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard
  • Material: PU Leather
  • Ports/Buttons: USB charging, POWER ON/OFF, Bluetooth Connect
  • Color: Black, black keyboard
  • Compatibility: iPad 2, iPad
  • Working Time: up to 30 days under normal condition and 90 hours under heavy usage.
  • Dimensions: L: 200 x W: 255 x D: 30 (mm)
  • Bluetooth Specifications:
    - Bluetooth 2.0 interface standard
    - Modulation System: GFSK
    - Operating Voltage: 3.0 – 5.0 V
    - Working Current: <5.0 mA
    - Standby Current: 2.5 mA
  • Certifications: CE, FCC, RoHS

Sendbeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the zaggmate. It's nice enough and I really like typing with it. That said, it IS a tight fit with the iPad 2 and all my corners of the back phantom skin have been pushed up. It also puts a weird "clean" mark across the screen where the screen presses against the area above the keys. I'm also really disappointed that after a month and a half it's already started to get some scratches. It's definitely not designed to look good after day to day use. Zagg makes a shield for it but after spending $100 for the zaggmate and another $20 to protect the iPads back I'm kind of tapped out.

It really is a super keyboard tomtype with though. One of my concerns before purchase was how stable the iPad would be sitting in the zaggmate dock, and I have to say it is very good.

Reaction score
Crux 360 Finally - Leaves much to be desired

I have been watching this thread for a long time. I wanted a keyboard and a case that were attached but still allowed me to use the ipad in tablet mode without the keyboard and without having to set it some where.

In december the Zaggmate came out. I immediately bought one but within one day of use sent it back. The metal rim cut into my wrists, the ipad was very hard to get out of the case and (for some reason) I was under the impression that it allowed you to put the ipad in screen up and use it. I found out that wasn't the case.

I then ordered the Crux 360. Yes, in December. I got it last week. Yes, that's NINE MONTHS.

Delay, delay, delay, delay, delay and a few more delays. Then I changed to the iPad2, delay, delay, and hey it finally shipped!

Well I have had it for about 8 days now and I just sent Crux an email saying thanks but no thanks. There are, IN MY OPINION, some major flaws.

First is with the smart cover feature. The Crux 360 supports the ipad2's new smart cover. When you close it, it turns the screen off. and when you open it it unlocks the screen. Well.. when you flip it around in tablet mode the sensor picks up the magnet, auto locking the screen every time. So you open it, screen turns on. Flip it to tablet mode, screen turns off and locks. Now you havet to push the button and unlock every time. How this thing shipped like this after 9 months is beyond me.

What makes it worse is if the screen lifts away from the keyboard an inch or two and comes back down, the screen locks again!! frustrating...

The keyboard spacebar has an issue for me personally. I only hit the spacebar with my right thumb. Never left. Well the spacebar button is noticably on the LEFT side of the actual spacebar itself. I have to mash the spacebar or move my hand over about 10 mm before i can get the spacebar to register a push. When typing without error correction about half of my words do not have spaces. Horrible typing experience because of that.

Another thing that I'm suprised made it through the 9 month ordeal is the bluetooth keyboard power button. The one thing the Zagg had going for it was an actual, physical slide button that made it real clear to turn the bluetooth keyboard on/off.

The Crux 360 has this awful, concave button that has to be held down for 3-4 seconds before the keyboard powers on or off. Need to go from laptop mode to tablet mode real quick? Nope. gotta turn that keyboard off first. 1, 2, 3, 4 ok red blinky light now I can move on. And the button being recessed really hurt my big finger. (I know it's a stupid complaint but as much as I need to go back and forth it mattered).

THere were some other less major but not minor complaints like the weight (has to be heavy to keep from tipping back but with the ipad2 my ThinkPad x120e has less weight to it!) Also, with the difficulty of opening the case from being closed. THere's nothing to grab on to really. just a small slit like on the clamcase. I'm a guy, I don't have fingernails and I don't like them being bent backwards...

Actually the clamcase and the crux 360 for ipad2 are very VERY similar in design with the exception of the keyboard. So most likely won't be going with the Clam Case either.

This is really a bloody shame. I really thought (and still hope) that Crux has an excellent design. But they really need to get on these issues.

So now I have a brand new iPad 2 and no where to go. Well at least nothing for it to wear. I have no case no stand no keyboard. I'm a utilitarian / tech guy. I prefer tactical over executive, durable rubber over leather and cloth, and function over form any day...

So after 2 iPads and 9 months I'll most likely admit defeat, settle for a cheap, simple leather folio / keyboard combo off ebay... But I'll continue to watch this thread to see if something new and promising pops up!

Best wishes to all.

*again, this is my opinion for the little that it's probably worth*

-~The Crimson Knight~-

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up a keyboard this weekend. I'd gone without one since iPad 1, because I figured I would end up not using it because I didn't want to schlep around another device. I ended up getting the Apple wireless keyboard, with an origami case, mostly for work stuff.

The light weight of the Apple keyboard was the clincher. I also didn't like the Zagg design -- the exposed back of the iPad looked iffy and the rim of the keyboard looked uncomfortable.

I liked the design of a Logictech keyboard, which came with a pocket-style case. But holy cow, that thing weighed something like three times as much as the Apple one. I asked the sales guy why, he picked it up and was surprised, too. He joked that it probably was made out of lead.

Reaction score
How about the iPad 2 Bluetooth Keyboard Case...you guys could google this item,,looks good

Yea, it's nice. Here's the problem that most people miss that is a big deal to me. If you'll look closely at the keyboard, the ", key that is normally to the left of the enter button has been moved to the bottom row right of the space bar.

Sorry but I use that key all the time and that would be a major isue. Unfortunately all but a few keyboards are like this.

Manufacturers: I understand it's hard to squish a keyboard into the width of of the ipad. So make it a little wider and fit everything where it's supposed to go! I don't mind a netbook sized keyboard but leave the keys where they are!

jebus!

TommyB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Delighted by my Belkin keyboard folio case.

MsKimberleyB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Logitech case/keyboard. I am having some issues with being locked out of my iPad for no apparent reason, though, and I read a thread in the forums from someone else who believed it was her external keyboard which was locking her out. So, I don't know at this point if I should recommend it. I have been quite happy with it otherwise. The only issue up until now that I had with it is that I have to make sure I have the keyboard on an absolutely stable surface when signing in, or it won't work.

Most reactions