What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best hard case for new ipad

diegosened

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I am going to buy the new ipad. My big problem is that I have to use it everyday, during the travel on the train, and therefore when I go to work and to the gym.
Usually my backpack (where I will keep the ipad) is full of gym stuff and therefore I need a strong cover in order to protect the ipad (in particular the screen) from any impact... I'd like to find something that is a little waterproof too.
Besises could you advice me something that is sold worldwide? in particular something that could be found on amazon.it or any european amazon.

Thank you

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the Otterbox Defender for the new iPad should fit your needs. I bought one last week and protection-wise, it's excellent. It's has a detachable hard cover that protects the screen from bumps and scratches when not in use and also doubles as a stand. The inner hard case helps prevent flex when in a bag or backpack. The silicon outer case absorbs impact and keeps dust and debris out, and to an extent, water from light raindrops. It's not a fully water resistant case, however, as there are some areas that aren't covered (speaker, mic, camera lens). The built in screen protector will help in preventing scratches, though it diminishes the clarity of the display. It's also a bit on the expensive side at $89 USD. All in all, if protection is what you're looking for, the pros outweigh the cons.

There are also the Gumdrop by Droptech and Griffin's Survivor case, both of which provide heavy duty protection at a cheaper price. They don't have the hard cover of the Otterbox Defender, though.

pcoleman721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pelican 1065 is a solid case/container for the iPad. It is crush proof and can fully submerge under 3ft of water. It's not a case you can work out of though. Only for transport.

OP
D

diegosened

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just checked the models you suggested but, as usual, in Italy they are too much expensive. Otterbox Defender costs 90 euros.

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still debating between a hard case or a screen protector or maybe even both?

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
diegosened said:
I've just checked the models you suggested but, as usual, in Italy they are too much expensive. Otterbox Defender costs 90 euros.

Yeah, usually for a hard/heavy duty case you'd be paying a premium price. Did you check the Droptech Gumdrop? You might be able to find a EU online retailer selling it for around 50 euros. An affordable alternative is to get a skin and a screen protector and put the iPad in a separate sleeve case when you travel.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
georgeacosta said:
I'm still debating between a hard case or a screen protector or maybe even both?

Both would be overkill since the popular hard cases have a built in screen protector (which diminish the quality of the display and touch sensitivity). Having a screen protector on top of another would lead to a frustrating iPad experience.

Some forum members have had success with getting a hard case like the Defender or the Survivor, popping off the built in protector and using an overlay protector like the Zagg (look at the do it yourself guides, you'll need a bit of jimmying). Hard case protection but somewhat keeping screen clarity and touch sensitivity. It'll cost a bit more money though...

Most reactions

Latest posts