What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best handwriting recognition apps (OCR) by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MyScript Memo is an obscure little app (it's free!) that doesn't have many features but does have the best handwriting recognition that I've ever seen. The manual is two sentences long. The only drawback for me is that it is portrait mode only and doesn't offer a zoom window, meaning you have to rest your hand on the screen, which I don't like doing anymore. It does however offer good palm rejection. Its recognition is amazingly good straight out of the box (print and cursive), but it's also very easy to add unusual words to its dictionary.

7Notes HD Premium also has extremely good recognition and offers landscape mode and a zoom window plus a whole lot more. Of course, there's also more of a learning curve. $0.99.

I gave up on the other major OCR app six months ago. These two apps have rekindled my interest in handwriting recognition.

Highly recommended.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Myscript. Downloading it now and will give it a try. I have 7Note as well as several others. Still trying to settle on the best one or two handwriting and note taking apps for me,

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a real pity about MyScript Memo's lack of a zoom window* and its portrait only orientation**, because - on the strength of one day's playing around - it has it all over its competition. 7Notes HD Premium is great for text that is comprised of just letters, but if you need to enter a lot of numbers and/or punctuation it becomes unbearably fiddly. Then again, I could be doing something wrong and it may be unfair to comment so early in my experimentation. Apart from the issue with numbers and punctuation I really like 7Notes, it has some great features.

* I only care about a zoom window (as seen in the mighty NTHD) because it enables me to do all my writing with the edge of my hand resting harmlessly on the iPad's lower bezel, thus avoiding getting the screen covered in smeary smudgy dreck.

** Landscape mode means fewer "carriage returns" for my writing arm.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You do realise OCR (Optical Character Recognition) is nothing to do with handwriting recognition?
MyScript Memo has easily the most accurate handwriting recognition I have seen so far - very impressed. I would recommend this to anyone.

bkissel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any stylus based options?

MyScript Memo is an obscure little app (it's free!) that doesn't have many features but does have the best handwriting recognition that I've ever seen. The manual is two sentences long. The only drawback for me is that it is portrait mode only and doesn't offer a zoom window, meaning you have to rest your hand on the screen, which I don't like doing anymore. It does however offer good palm rejection. Its recognition is amazingly good straight out of the box (print and cursive), but it's also very easy to add unusual words to its dictionary.

7Notes HD Premium also has extremely good recognition and offers landscape mode and a zoom window plus a whole lot more. Of course, there's also more of a learning curve. $0.99.

I gave up on the other major OCR app six months ago. These two apps have rekindled my interest in handwriting recognition.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the great post. Any recommendations for stylus based handwriting input?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great post. Any recommendations for stylus based handwriting input?

Hi ad welcome to the forum. This thread that you have posted in is very old and chances are the members in this thread have already moved on from here.

We will close this thread. Please try to do a search for your question or post a new thread if you cannot find one that is current.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts