Best german pronunciation app?

Discussion in 'iPad App Announcements' started by dri5hti, Jun 1, 2013.

1. dri5hti

dri5hti iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm wondering what a good voice-recognition german pronunciation app would be? I know about babbel but it requires a monthly subscription and id rather just buy it in one go. Any ideas?
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,870 / 0
    I don't know how we'll this would work for you, but Google has a free app called "Google Translate." You can type in your phrase and then the app can speak it for you.

Maybe that'll help?

Marilyn
  3. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,755 / 3
    And then there would be iTranslate, too. It works the same way as Google's app.

I have to say, though, that both apps sometimes don't pronounce the German words the right way.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  4. dri5hti

dri5hti iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I do have both of those and they do help (and its especially good to know that they could be incorrect - ill keep that in mind) but i was thinking more along the lines of a voice recognition app that you can speak into and then grades or corrects your pronunciation. I want to speak german well but i live in north america and know no german speaking people. Would you guys know of anything like that? Do they even make apps like that?
  5. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,755 / 3
    I found Rosetta Course in the App Store. The German sounds right, as far as I've heard. When you have to talk, you immediately get feedback, but it's not very accurate in judging your pronunciation.

There are a few apps, but I don't know if they help improve the pronunciation.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  6. Kricke

Kricke iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    It is not an app but another idea which might be helpful.

Try to get hold of DVDs with German as another audio track.
    And while watching a DVD in German try to repeat sentence after sentence with as short a break as possible. You sort of echo the speaker, copying his pronunciation.
    This works best with movies you like and which you have seen multiple times. So you know what the person is going to say. Subtitles will make it easier in the beginning.

If you commute a lot you might consider ripping off the German audio track of the DVD and put it on a CD or USB stick for your car radio receiver/stereo or you could put it on your smartphone. And you simply play the audio track and echo the text. And if you know the movie the story and the scenery will appear in your mind. So you can watch a movie and learn the language while driving. (I do not know whether ripping the audio track is legally allowed.)

Knut
    • Like Like x 1
  7. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,755 / 3
    Your suggestion would help, as soon as the basics are consolidated. It doesn't control the pronunciation.
  8. dri5hti

dri5hti iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you! I had no clue they had an app with voice recognition. I think this is just what I was looking for.
  9. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,755 / 3
    The first few lessons are free. To get more, you'll have to spend money. You also need an account to use the app.
    I tried the voice recognition. If you're terribly wrong, it recognizes that. Not in any other case. (Perhaps I'm incapable of speaking German just a little bit wrong.)
  10. dri5hti

dri5hti iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeah now that ive tried it out i see what you mean. And the search continues...