What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best flash based browser for iPad?

arnab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are quite a few of these in the app store and most of them aren't really freewares. So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as I want to be doubly sure before buying. I believe among the better known would be Puffin browser and Skyfire. I primarily want to use the browser to watch YouTube videos which haven't been converted to html5 yet or aren't available for viewing on an iPad. Oh and also because one can't lower the video quality for YouTube in the official app.

Do help me out.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
arnab said:
There are quite a few of these in the app store and most of them aren't really freewares. So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as I want to be doubly sure before buying. I believe among the better known would be Puffin browser and Skyfire. I primarily want to use the browser to watch YouTube videos which haven't been converted to html5 yet or aren't available for viewing on an iPad. Oh and also because one can't lower the video quality for YouTube in the official app.

Do help me out.

I have both, skyfire is JUST for videos. If there's a website that has a flash video, skyfire can probably play it. Puffin is good for anything else, flash games, flash interfaces but not very good for videos, as the server is based in china or somewhere else there's sometimes restrictions on the video. But if you can afford them buy both then you have pretty much everything covered.

OP
A

arnab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both, skyfire is JUST for videos. If there's a website that has a flash video, skyfire can probably play it. Puffin is good for anything else, flash games, flash interfaces but not very good for videos, as the server is based in china or somewhere else there's sometimes restrictions on the video. But if you can afford them buy both then you have pretty much everything covered.

thanks. and that is so very true. i just installed puffin free version and was trying out the youtube page. it does work wonderfully. BUT, and this is an important caveat, they login to youtube from their own server location which can vary. i had to basically confirm my gmail account by entering my phone number details etc. to proceed. it does seem very dodgy, the way puffin handles things.

is there any of this server location issue on skyfire?

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that I have noticed. I use skyfire for BBC sport videos, puffin doesn't play these, it says this video is not available in your country.

Skyfire also plays online sports streams relatively well.

OP
A

arnab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that I have noticed. I use skyfire for BBC sport videos, puffin doesn't play these, it says this video is not available in your country.

Skyfire also plays online sports streams relatively well.

sweet! thanks for the help mate.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
youngun said:
What about skyfire or iswifter?

Skyfire is only for videos, I've not used Iswifter much but I can play flash games just a bit slow

Most reactions

Latest posts