What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best extra wide external keyboards

Mercermo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad mini that is approximately 5" x 7 3/4" with which I want to use an external keyboard for word processing. Some time back I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard that is the same width (7 3/4"), but it is too small for my fingers. Where can I find a wider keyboard (9" at least) that will be compatible with my iPad, including having a slot or stand that will hold the iPad easily?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Well, the options are innumerable - in 2011 I bought an iPad 2 w/ an Apple BT KB (a little longer than you desire but the same one that came w/ our iMac) w/ a nice cloth protective case, along w/ the plastic folding stand shown below - now I've always used Apple's 'smart covers' which can be folded into a triangular stand - so 'on the road' I will take all unless I also take my MBAir laptop - now on an iPad Air 2 and still works fine.

I would suggest googling 'iPad bluetooth keyboards' (see 2nd screen capture) - plenty of hits - I clicked on the Zagg website and found the one shown in the last pic that likely would serve your needs - but look at the hits, read the reviews, and decide how much you want to pay; also, do a search on Amazon and read the reviews and Q&A sections for the products of interest. Dave
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 11.15.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 11.13.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 11.12.50 AM.png

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Isn't that Zagg going to be too small? I suggest the Apple wireless keyboard and rig up a way to prop up the mini. Any keyboard case that fits the mini is likely going to be too small for you if your first attempt was too small.

Edit: upon a closer look at that Zagg, it might work.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Isn't that Zagg going to be too small? I suggest the Apple wireless keyboard and rig up a way to prop up the mini. Any keyboard case that fits the mini is likely going to be too small for you if your first attempt was too small.

Edit: upon a closer look at that Zagg, it might work.

See below - Zagg KB w/ an iPhone - the width of the Zagg is 8.8" - my wife's Mini is 8" in its case laid horizontal, so should be a perfect fit in my mind. Dave :)
pocket_iphone6_front_2.png

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having one similar to that for my iPad Pro 9.7. Small keyboards are hard to use (for me). But perhaps anything is better than the virtual KB. ;)

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suppose your right about that speedlever but never really had a issue with the onscreen iPad keyboard.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For single finger typing, the virtual keyboard is not bad. But if I'm doing much more than a quick reply, I really prefer a keyboard with tactile feel. But maybe that's just me.

Most reactions